Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945641 times)

essexian

Congratulations.

Yes indeed.  :thumbsup:

Although....may I ask what an Associate Professor does. Sorry I was too thick (actually too poor) to go to University (Only six people from my Upper 6th year went to Uni...it wasn't done back then).

It is official.  The can we/ we can't we/ perhaps we can change your contract discussions have been concluded and I am now officially an Associate Professor.

Congratulations! Of course, you'll have to raise your sights on what kind of bike you're going to buy now  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Reading Social & Personal in the current Jewish Chronicle, I see somebody's tombstone will be consecrated at the Western Cemetery, Bulls Cross Ride, Chestnut, EN7 5HT.

Oh dear!

nicknack

• Hornblower
Well I have been asked for a decision regarding what type of Jam we put on the scones which are available in our Cardiff office..... none of us work anywhere near Cardiff. I am finding it very difficult to decide.
Caramelised leek and garlic jam of course.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

essexian

Well I have been asked for a decision regarding what type of Jam we put on the scones which are available in our Cardiff office..... none of us work anywhere near Cardiff. I am finding it very difficult to decide.
Caramelised leek and garlic jam of course.

That sounds really nice. Thanks  :thumbsup:

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Congratulations.

Yes indeed.  :thumbsup:

Although....may I ask what an Associate Professor does. Sorry I was too thick (actually too poor) to go to University (Only six people from my Upper 6th year went to Uni...it wasn't done back then).

Thanks everyone for the congratulations.  Associate Professors do pretty much what I have been doing for a few years now.  We lead research (in my case research into how we teach people and how we create better learning environments, which is why I have a designation of Associate Professor rather than Reader; they're the ones who do subject-specific research).  I lead the research area, develop researchers, bring in research funding, supervise Doctoral Students and get called stupid by full Professors.

Beardy

• Shedist
It is official.  The can we/ we can't we/ perhaps we can change your contract discussions have been concluded and I am now officially an Associate Professor.
I’ve been encouraging Dr Beardy (Mrs) to apply for this on the grounds that she might as well get the recognition, and more importantly, the pay for the position she occupies and the work she does. She has so far refused to do so on the grounds that her. Oss is an uber bitch of the first order and would either block it out of malice, or exploit her subsequent promotion to bully her further.

Congratulations to you Lou, no doubt you’ve been doing the work of an AP for some time now.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

lou boutin

I’ve been encouraging Dr Beardy (Mrs) to apply for this on the grounds that she might as well get the recognition, and more importantly, the pay for the position she occupies and the work she does. She has so far refused to do so on the grounds that her. Oss is an uber bitch of the first order and would either block it out of malice, or exploit her subsequent promotion to bully her further.

Congratulations to you Lou, no doubt you’ve been doing the work of an AP for some time now.

I hope Dr. Beardy finds a way around this. It's not fair and galling that it a woman holding another back.  I was blocked for years by the ex-Dean of Research who didn't think that pedagogic research counted as research.  I was encouraged to apply for Prof this time although the panel does not like a direct application to a professor. I split the panel, half felt my application should have been sent out to external assessors as a Prof application, the other half felt I was nearly there but needed to do some more work.  So turned down as I did not have strong enough international reach.  It very unusual to award Associate Professor to some who made a Professorial application.  One of the Profs on the panel gave me some really useful feedback and told me to apply again next year.   I doubt I will apply next year, but now have an idea about what to do next.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Seems to be common.  Same thing happened to a friend of ours in Alençon whose boss kept her down while taking all the conference trips for himself, even when they concerned fields she was expert in and he didn't really know. Fortunately he moved on & she now calls the tune.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Does that mean I am not cut out for management?

NO, it means you need to authorize a trip to Cardiff and do some basic research into preferred jam for scones.

Late to the party, but well done Lou.

lou boutin

Late to the party, but well done Lou.

Thank you.

Beardy

• Shedist
After yesterday’s minor divishness where by I drove to Carbost instead of Colbost[1] for our lunch reservation  I feel vindicated. My sister-in-law, having given me instructions to take her car when I was to get summoned to pick up the good Dr’s from their brief shopping sojourn, carefully left me her key in plain site[2] then pocketed my car key[3] and went on her merry way. They are now having to walk back up the hill as her car is blocked in by my car. I shan’t gloat.

1. a mere 21 miles, 50% of, which was on single track roads. We were a little late!
2. She doesn’t have the highest of opinions of me, but I’ve over 35 years of not caring.  :)
3. To be fair to her, we both drive Minis and she has recently copied my minimalist key ring with just car key and house key.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
3. To be fair to her, we both drive Minis and she has recently copied my minimalist key ring with just car key and house key.
No key for the bike lock?!!!!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Really stark divide between how cyclists are treated here relative to France and Belgium. In the continent I was getting supportive honks, people yelling and waving from the roadside, all kinds of hospitality in my Airbnbs, etc. Over there we're heroes, here we're lowly scum.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Beardy

• Shedist
No key for the bike lock?!!!!
Different minimalist key ring with bike lock and house key.

When mad science meets The Princess Bride.

The brains of dead pigs have been somewhat revived by scientists hours after the animals were killed in a slaughterhouse.

The Yale University research team is careful to say that none of the brains regained the kind of organized electrical activity associated with consciousness or awareness. Still, the experiment described Wednesday in the journal Nature showed that a surprising amount of cellular function was either preserved or restored.

The implications of this study have staggered ethicists, as they contemplate how this research should move forward and how it fits into the current understanding of what separates the living from the dead.

In a commentary that accompanied the research paper in Nature, Farahany and her colleagues Henry Greely and Charles Giattino say the work reminds them of a line from the 1987 movie The Princess Bride: "There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/17/714289322/scientists-restore-some-function-in-the-brains-of-dead-pigs?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190417&t=1555529756230

Via: https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1118564438754377729
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
OK, those pigs' brains can be used as CPUs in Level 5 autonomous vehicles to make them as good as motorists.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
So we know how this will go now:

1. Research ==> press ==> right-wing religious crazies ==> GOP ==> uninformed blanket ban ==> loss of grants ==> researchers discredited and fired.
2. Research ==> press ==> PETA ==> researchers' names & addresses posted on Facebook ==> researchers & their families harassed
3. Research ==> press ==> Hollywood ==> Pet Semetary II, the Yale Protocol

Some years down the line...

Donald Trump returns. He's a bit grey-green in the chops, rather stiff and a little more stupid but he's as evil as ever and gee, his hair hasn't changed a bit.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fuzzy

So the Hermes tracking says 'Left securely in outbuilding', so it's a choice of:

1) Driver has broken into the shed and now needs new underwear due to the anti bike thief device
b) Driver has brought a chainsaw and managed to get into the greenhouse
iii) Driver has thrown it over the gate
4) Driver has put it in the bin

Place your bets please.

I'm hoping for b) but my money is on 4)

Yesterday i got a Bingly Beep on the mobile phone-

"Your package has been deliverd. We put it through the letterbox"

I was both impressed and worried. Our package was two boxes of Natures Menu cat food. deliveries of this is generally in a box about the size of a standard shed sized beer fridge :o

On arrival home, the package was by the front door ::-)

fuzzy

Another one late to the party.

Hearty congratulations Associate Professor Lou :thumbsup:

lou boutin

Thank you   ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My great uncle married a woman called Zelensky.

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m thinking that perhaps shorts were a bit optimistic today.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I’m thinking that perhaps shorts were a bit optimistic today.

Not this far west tehy're not.   By the time I get to Aberdeen though?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens