Author Topic: Sizing cycling jerseys...  (Read 2709 times)

Sizing cycling jerseys...
« on: 28 August, 2019, 06:13:01 pm »
There is always someone, of similar size, who reviews 'comes up small, get size up', which you unwittingly follow, only to find the article which arrives is something approaching a duvet cover with enough room for two necks.  I'm anything from M to XL it seems.  So the most recent XL purchase is going back, for a Large.  My favourite cycling jersey ever is an XL De Marchi, on bargainous offer, and I wish I'd bought two.

Any well trodden tips for sizing success?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Sizing cycling jerseys...
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2019, 06:43:58 pm »
Buy things where you've had physical access to one from the same manufacturer.

Buy things measured in actual units rather than 'X's or dress sizes.

Hedge your bets when ordering online and return the ones that don't fit under sale of goods act.

Luck.

And when you find one that fits well, immediately buy more of them.

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:24:39 pm »
Sort of what Kim says, but also avoid companies that are really bad at sizing clothing consistently or accurately (Endura and Altura I'm looking at you!).

Don't be afraid to send stuff back either.

In my experience dhb/Wiggle are excellent at accurately and consistently sizing their clothes, which might explain why I have so much of their stuff.

This is of course much easier if you happen to be a tall male fitting into the 99 percentile group for average morphologies.

Your experience is going to be much different if you are short, female, curvy or any combination of these.

« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2019, 12:00:20 am »
Sort of what Kim says, but also avoid companies that are really bad at sizing clothing consistently or accurately (Endura and Altura I'm looking at you!).

Don't be afraid to send stuff back either.

In my experience dhb/Wiggle are excellent at accurately and consistently sizing their clothes, which might explain why I have so much of their stuff.

This is of course much easier if you happen to be a tall male fitting into the 99 percentile group for average morphologies.

Your experience is going to be much different if you are short, female, curvy or any combination of these.

Not sure about the tall male bit - I’m only 185cm and if I am where I like to be weight wise (say 75kgs) I find clothing that fits around me is usually slightly short - looking at Castelli L etc.  They, along with DHB, Santino and De Marchi all seem to be internally consistent in size even if they have different interpretations of M, L and XL

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2019, 01:46:46 am »
Italian men aren't very big.
Italian clothes are small for their sizes in length and girth.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2019, 11:21:11 am »
i find that most jerseys that fit my torso in girth are too short. the ones that are decent length are too loose around chest and shoulders. i've bought and returned loads in the past. that was the reason for not ordering the pbp jersey in advance. luckily they had surplus at the venue, so i could try them on and get the one that fits me best (still not a perfect fit though).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2019, 12:26:10 pm »

For reasons I've yet to fathom, due to  having Breasts, I don't fit in most women's specific cycle jerseys, even if the zip will start to close over my waist, the boobs just don't fit. Rapha are the worst for this, I have a mens brevet jersey from them, as I could't fit in even their largest women's jersey. I spoke to a couple of the women who work in the Rapha store in Amsterdam, and even they do the same thing...

Apparently the typical female cyclist is actually some species of pixie.

On the plus side, after losing 15kg, I dropped into the top end of the rapha womens cycle shorts, their XL fits.

Grumble grumble

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2019, 01:34:15 pm »
Thanks.   I tend to always go for an offer, which seems to mean the jersey is in limited supply, but perhaps if I find a great fit, I'll buy another quick.  I also fall into the trap of thinking 'it's not too bad, I can live with it', then regretting this and not getting much use out of it...   :-\  Since I started wearing bib shorts (not too low cut)-  I don't find the jersey length too much of an issue, if slightly short.  Anyway just gone with a 'longer fit' Endura, on offer, in medium, the sizing table together with one reviewer with vital stats indicated this, so we'll see...   The XL I bought recently, cost £3.99 to send back...     

« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:29:43 pm »
Trying to find the right size of cycling shorts, bibs or otherwise, I find even more troublesome, and I'm not that weird a shape/size (172cm, 66Kg, fairly normal proportions). Gore (non-bib) shorts in Large were the last shorts I bought that actually fit well, though are a tad loose now (I've lost some weight) and getting worn out, so am going to need to find some replacements soon (probably bib this time around).
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2019, 04:24:35 pm »
Trying to find the right size of cycling shorts, bibs or otherwise, I find even more troublesome, and I'm not that weird a shape/size (172cm, 66Kg, fairly normal proportions). Gore (non-bib) shorts in Large were the last shorts I bought that actually fit well, though are a tad loose now (I've lost some weight) and getting worn out, so am going to need to find some replacements soon (probably bib this time around).

I like wiggle DHB bib shorts - started off with a M, returned for a L - which is great for me (188cm/78kg). 

Endura jersey in medium went back  :-\  not uncomfortable per se, just very snug.  By default, I should probably stick with L. 

« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2019, 06:55:27 pm »
i find that most jerseys that fit my torso in girth are too short. the ones that are decent length are too loose around chest and shoulders.

I think I’ve complained about this before, but this. And not just slightly - above the navel isn’t a good look.

« Reply #11 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:37:39 pm »

For reasons I've yet to fathom, due to  having Breasts, I don't fit in most women's specific cycle jerseys, even if the zip will start to close over my waist, the boobs just don't fit. Rapha are the worst for this, I have a mens brevet jersey from them, as I could't fit in even their largest women's jersey. I spoke to a couple of the women who work in the Rapha store in Amsterdam, and even they do the same thing...

Apparently the typical female cyclist is actually some species of pixie.

On the plus side, after losing 15kg, I dropped into the top end of the rapha womens cycle shorts, their XL fits.

Grumble grumble

J

One might acknowledge (although not accept) society's view that women engaged in sport are obviously going to be slim and svelte, conforming to the Victorian image of a mythical greek goddess. Try looking for a woman's motorcycling jacket though (and the men's fits are suboptimal in the extreme). We gave up looking for my beloved (who is ton up and middle of the alphabet in the thoracic measurement) and finished with a Decathlon sailing jacket (even got a matching pair!). Fortunately it was for use on an outfit where crash protection was not a priority -  legislation demanding adequate protection is going to heavily discriminate against women motorcyclists who do not conform to a (male) cultural view of nymphs and shepherdesses.

If only Rubens had painted his cherubs riding bikes the society view of women in sport might have been a bit different!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »
I think you do Greek goddesses a disservice.  Pre-dating 20th century fashions, many of them are positively curvy (especially by cycling clothing standards)...

« Reply #13 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:56:58 pm »
I think you do Greek goddesses a disservice.  Pre-dating 20th century fashions, many of them are positively curvy (especially by cycling clothing standards)...

I stand corrected  :facepalm: Pity that they didn't  get painted in cycling shorts and jerseys!

An idea: perhaps we could get more exposure for women trackies (sprinters in particular) as models for cycling clothing. I was always impressed with Felicia Ballanger's silhouette. I doubt she would have fitted in a Rapha lady's jersey any better than QG

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:26:14 pm »
Quite a few early 20th century cycling advertisements featured women who with considerable curves. Whether they were modelled on Greek goddesses, Rubens' paintings or possibly even the woman actually riding bikes at the time, I do not know.

As for jersey sizing, I have a Foska jersey size S which is noticeably larger than size M from Owayo, Force GB or Endura.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 06 September, 2019, 05:55:24 pm »

I like wiggle DHB bib shorts - started off with a M, returned for a L - which is great for me (188cm/78kg). 

Endura jersey in medium went back  :-\  not uncomfortable per se, just very snug.  By default, I should probably stick with L.

I might try the DHB shorts in M then, at least Wiggle have good (and free) returns, if they don't fit (unlike Le Col...)
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 06 September, 2019, 06:27:10 pm »
Unlike QG, I don't have much in the way of Breasts. I am not a little pixie and have Hefty Hips, which really don't fit into men's jerseys and can only be accommodate by BIG women's clothes, which are then baggy round the shoulders.

« Reply #17 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:50:22 pm »
Same issue with slack around shoulders, especialy back side.
Short sleeved stuff im USUALY ok with L (dhb, Decathlon stuff)
For me long sleeves is where trouble begins, if  I can fit forearms inside, rest is just a bit loose fitting... Except shoulder area which is flappy
Or if i pick something that fits ok around shoulders its either impossible to fit arms inside or  I get seams  digging in forearms pretty bad
Tryed castelli in size  L 2yrs ago, and no go for me
185cm 75-77kg and quite a few brands suggest size M, and that is (usualy) small allround not just forearms