Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847167 times)

ian

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3100 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:51:20 pm »
Only then will you be ready to contemplate SUMPRODUCT arrays.

Ooh, I'm going giddy at the mere thought of it.

It's the reason I'm posting so much today...

Code: [Select]
Calculating (4 threads): 41...42...43%

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3101 on: 16 January, 2019, 05:17:31 pm »
Two things I have learnt today:

1. The effect on productivity of days taken off work sick is measured using the Bradford Factor, which applies the principle that taking one day off many times is more detrimental than a single extended absence. I currently have a Bradford Factor of 0.0.

Standard HR-centric nonsense that works on the principle that it's better to have a colleague suddenly off work for weeks with, say, stress or a broken pelvis, rather than something really nasty like multi-stage dental treatment.  And that's before you consider the impact on disabled people, which barakta can rant about far more eloquently than I ever could.  (She nearly lost her job over a former boss's fanatical devotion to the Bradford Index, in spite of being one of the most productive members of the team.)

I think HR like it because it measures how much paperwork they have to do...
There’s a long standing adage in statistical circles, you get what you measure. Basically, the very act of measuring a particular aspect will influence those impacted by the measurement to do what they can to reduce that measurement irrspective of the bigger impact or unintended consequences.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3102 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:17:47 pm »
Two things I have learnt today:

1. The effect on productivity of days taken off work sick is measured using the Bradford Factor, which applies the principle that taking one day off many times is more detrimental than a single extended absence. I currently have a Bradford Factor of 0.0.

Standard HR-centric nonsense that works on the principle that it's better to have a colleague suddenly off work for weeks with, say, stress or a broken pelvis, rather than something really nasty like multi-stage dental treatment.  And that's before you consider the impact on disabled people, which barakta can rant about far more eloquently than I ever could.  (She nearly lost her job over a former boss's fanatical devotion to the Bradford Index, in spite of being one of the most productive members of the team.)

I think HR like it because it measures how much paperwork they have to do...
There’s a long standing adage in statistical circles, you get what you measure. Basically, the very act of measuring a particular aspect will influence those impacted by the measurement to do what they can to reduce that measurement irrspective of the bigger impact or unintended consequences.
That sounds like Quantum HR.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #3103 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:41:40 am »
I have learned that  I hate Canvas.  I deliver online lecturers via webinar.  I usually have an audience of the 12-20 people depending on the topic, time of day etc.  Yesterday's breakfast session had 12 people signed up to attend. Only 1 appeared on the screen and after waiting 5 minutes to see if anyone else appeared, we decided to go ahead with the webinar, I pressed record and on we went.  After the webinar I found 10 emails from people who could not get into the webinar, all stating the same reason - the 'in progress' button was available but there was no sign of the usual 'enter' button.  Everyone said they were would catch up via the recording.  Then a number of emails arrived saying that the recording was not where they usually appear, although two students had found it and were listening to it.  I searched and couldn't find it - neither could the Canvas people.  It looks like there was some sort of technical issues with the platform at the point that I was working that interrupted access and recording.  I know have to run the session again for the students. 

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3104 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:08:30 am »
Only then will you be ready to contemplate SUMPRODUCT arrays.

Ooh, I'm going giddy at the mere thought of it.

Used it last week for the first time, had a lie down afterwards.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3105 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:47:18 am »
I searched and couldn't find it - neither could the Canvas people.  It looks like there was some sort of technical issues with the platform at the point that I was working that interrupted access and recording.  I know have to run the session again for the students.

Who pays?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3106 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:00:06 am »
Pays for extra work done by academics? If Lou’s establishment is anything like Dr Beardy (Mrs)’s then someone up the chain says you can do that and any complaint is met with a ‘you’re a professional, and we professionals aren’t so petty as to count the hours we do’.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3107 on: 21 January, 2019, 01:18:43 pm »
Aye. Back when I was salaried my job status was "assimilé cadre", i.e. a sort of management NCO.  Privileges included not being paid for hours worked over and above. Naturally, once you're self-employed, agitating for fair pay is a good way of avoiding future contracts.

lou boutin

« Reply #3108 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:58:50 pm »
Basically, I have to fit it in somehow.  I'm not allowing the technical hitch negatively impact on the students.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3109 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:35:45 pm »
Oh yes, now your'e manglement and leading a team you can do your old job, plus the new one, with no training and any hours extra that you need to put in, we'll be very grateful of course.

This recently came up as a discussion in my MothershipTM, and I made the point that if our base model assumes that consultants need to work more than their contracted hours to make the business work, surely we've not quite got things right?

I'm not fired yet :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3110 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:51:47 pm »
Oh yes, now your'e manglement and leading a team you can do your old job, plus the new one, with no training and any hours extra that you need to put in, we'll be very grateful of course.

This recently came up as a discussion in my MothershipTM, and I made the point that if our base model assumes that consultants need to work more than their contracted hours to make the business work, surely we've not quite got things right?

You have to smarter, not harder. That was always the mantra of our seniors. Although it never seemed to be enough for,them as most of them did 12 hour days as a norm.

« Reply #3111 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:27:33 pm »
That it's not "you have another thing coming", but it's "you have another think coming". It's a phrase that I've somehow been mishearing for decades.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3112 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:36:19 pm »
That it's not "you have another thing coming", but it's "you have another think coming". It's a phrase that I've somehow been mishearing for decades.

I don't think it's mishearing so much as the 'thing' version being in common use, and since it makes more sense (and avoids the clunky use of 'think' as a noun), you either don't notice or assume it's a typo when people use 'think'.

I learned this some years ago, but would still use the thing version, because if I use the phrase it's to say "your expectations are unrealistic" not "you're going to have to re-evaluate your ideas".

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3113 on: 22 January, 2019, 07:17:28 am »
Isn’t it the second half of the phrase “If that’s what you think,...”?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3114 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:37:11 am »

You have to smarter, not harder. That was always the mantra of our seniors. Although it never seemed to be enough for,them as most of them did 12 hour days as a norm.

Heh. The boss of a department I worked in was very fond of saying "I was here until 9 o'clock last night", especially when we galley slaves were heading for the bar off home at 6.  One day he was unwise enough to say it in front of both us and senior management, and his boss replied "oh, are you that slow?"  That was sweet.

« Reply #3115 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:44:48 am »
That only one country in the world trades on WTO terms only.
(click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: This post may be tinged with a slight amount of POBI.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3116 on: 22 January, 2019, 10:15:00 am »
That only one country in the world trades on WTO terms only.
(click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: This post may be tinged with a slight amount of POBI.

Not even them any more, if what I read on Farcebok the other week was accurate.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3117 on: 22 January, 2019, 10:47:21 am »
Yep, just verified that here.  Thanks Mr L.

« Reply #3118 on: 22 January, 2019, 07:03:00 pm »
That P and O are moving the registration of their fleet to Cyprus.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3119 on: 23 January, 2019, 07:51:18 am »
MrsT is reading a Jules Verne opus called Hector Servadac, known in English as Off On A Comet.  Before his publisher objected, Verne originally intended all his characters to die, hence the name of his hero: Servadac is cadavres spelt backwards.

lou boutin

« Reply #3120 on: 23 January, 2019, 08:59:49 pm »
I have learned that I am a complete idiot.  Rather than saying that if I don't have the equipment to do 'x' as part of my job, I can't do it; I bought the equipment out of my own pocket!!!!  :facepalm:  I know, I am a total barn pot!

On the plus side, I have a nice new camera en route.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3121 on: 24 January, 2019, 08:49:07 pm »
Quote from: Kim
If her impairment can reasonably be expected to last less than 12 months, then she isn't disabled for the purposes of the Equality Act.

Reasonably expected?  Seems a bit unfair.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3122 on: 24 January, 2019, 09:57:09 pm »
Quote from: Kim
If her impairment can reasonably be expected to last less than 12 months, then she isn't disabled for the purposes of the Equality Act.

Reasonably expected?  Seems a bit unfair.

Yep, so if you break a bone due to a standard bone-breaking injury, you're not disabled, but if you break it due to an underlying chronic condition, you are.  OTOH, if you've had your unexpectedly-failing-to-heal broken bone for a year, you become disabled overnight.

IIRC (?terminal) cancer is a special case in this regard.

The legal definition of disability is very medical model, and the standard first-line defence for Equality Act disability discrimination cases is to try to prove the claimant isn't actually disabled.

« Reply #3123 on: 25 January, 2019, 10:41:57 am »
I have learned that I am a complete idiot.  Rather than saying that if I don't have the equipment to do 'x' as part of my job, I can't do it; I bought the equipment out of my own pocket!!!!  :facepalm:  I know, I am a total barn pot!

On the plus side, I have a nice new camera en route.

You share your lunacy with virtually every Art teacher in the UK, and probably a lot of other disciplines. It's called caring.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3124 on: 25 January, 2019, 02:24:12 pm »
Not just art teachers. In 2013 I upgraded my SLR & lenses to full frame, mostly to cover cycling events for the regional FFCT committee I sat on. About a month later I got exceedingly pissed off when they refused to cover the bill for our road captains' grub at our annual Audax tarte flambée evening - 6 blokes at 15€ a nose - and resigned.