Author Topic: Would you buy a washer-dryer again?  (Read 4749 times)

Would you buy a washer-dryer again?
« on: 31 August, 2019, 08:45:24 am »
For those of you who have lived with a washer-dryer, are they much cop?

I (think I) know the dryer functionality is reduced compared to a standalone tumble dryer, but is the wash part a direct comparison to a standalone washing machine, or is that also a compromise?

Two separate machines isn't an option for me, and air drying options are a bit limited.

Re: Would you buy a washer-dryer again?
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:15:12 am »
We have a new washer-drier, purchased after our old drier died. As far as I can tell, it washes at least as well as the old one. When the clothes come out of the dryer they tend to feel a bit damp but that goes away very quickly. MrsC is very pleased with it. We think it’s a Hotpoint but can’t check the details as we’re on holiday at the moment.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:19:58 am »
I love mine. It’s a magic box that makes clean clothes.

One thing to bear in mind is if you stuff the machine full of clothes it will wash fine but never dry, so you either have to wash only two-thirds full or do the drying in two shifts. This is much less of a problem with newer machines with oversized drums.

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:25:15 am »
Interested in peoples views (and possible machine recommendations) for Miss Ham, who has a small flat without room for two appliances, a young baby, with approaching winter.

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2019, 10:03:45 am »
Last time we had one of these condensor dryers it used to produce crisps, a Zannusi from memory, so no, we have a separate dryer. This was quite some time ago so whether they have mproved or not, I don't know.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2019, 04:27:27 pm »
We had one for a bit courtesy of one of barakta's student houses.  It got used for normal washing-machine duties, at which it seemed to perform as expected, and the very occasional drying emergency (visitor's one set of clothes soaked in beer by revellers on train, sort of thing), at which it was somewhere between a proper tumble-drier and hanging things on the radiator in efficacy.

If it's a choice between a washer-drier and a washing machine with a more powerful spin, I think I'd prefer the latter.

(Presumably the modern ones are all condensing, which makes them disappointing by default.  If you want  a tumble drier to work properly, you need one that pisses away the heat via an outside vent.)

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2019, 04:45:27 pm »
We had one for a bit courtesy of one of barakta's student houses.  It got used for normal washing-machine duties, at which it seemed to perform as expected, and the very occasional drying emergency (visitor's one set of clothes soaked in beer by revellers on train, sort of thing), at which it was somewhere between a proper tumble-drier and hanging things on the radiator in efficacy.

If it's a choice between a washer-drier and a washing machine with a more powerful spin, I think I'd prefer the latter.

(Presumably the modern ones are all condensing, which makes them disappointing by default.  If you want  a tumble drier to work properly, you need one that pisses away the heat via an outside vent.)
My bold. I'd concur with that.
Tech/cycling clothing that I have, comes out of the machine just about ready (dry) enough to wear and, whichever way you look at it, is completely dry overnight.
Drying jeans? I cannot comment on as I do not own  a pair.

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2019, 05:01:13 pm »
For those of you who have lived with a washer-dryer, are they much cop?

I would first ask how many persons are in your household? We are a family of four, we lived with a combo washer-dryer for some time. Washing was fine, but drying took an incredibly long time, maybe over 5 or 6 hours. Admittedly we used the machine to its full capacity. So I would answer your question by saying okay for one or two persons, definitely no for more!

A

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »
I was just going to post 'no' and leave it at that...

Previous residents left a washer-drier here when I moved in.

Ability to dry large loads and electricity usage deterred me from using drier much.

When it failed I bought a Miele washer with a powerful spin and dried much outside when I was able.

I now dry everything indoors.

I have a fair-sized house, no damp and good central heating though.

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2019, 05:17:01 pm »
This flat that we moved into in April came with a pretty decent Siemens washer-drier. Number of times drier used so far = 0.

However, as a washing machine it is excellent, the best I’ve used, and does not seem to have been compromised by the drying function.

« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2019, 05:46:57 pm »
I haven't had any sort of tumble dryer for a decade or so, and clothes seem to last longer without.  I do have an old fashioned spinner which removes a lot of water even after the washing machine has done it's best (Though I've never tested it against a top make)  and last winter also added a Lakeland Heated Airer with cover.   Just me, everything I wear is ready next day, heated when needed but not for the last few months, towels and bedding might need an extra day.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2019, 05:50:19 pm »
An airer and a dehumidifier works well for drying indoors.
Probably less electricity and less damage to clothes than a tumble dryer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2019, 05:51:54 pm »
My mum used to swear by her old-fashioned spinner, but by the time it b0rked the then-current washing machine did a good enough job that it wasn't worth replacing.

They're simple, astoundingly effective and just a little bit scary.

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2019, 06:36:30 pm »
Spin dryers... the one we had was the type with a spout at the front. At full speed it always seemed to need restraint, even with hardly any clothes in it. I think it could just about remain vertical if it was completely empty.

At least twin tubs had the benefit of a metal outer cowling for shrapnel protection and felt a bit safer to be around.

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2019, 08:58:38 pm »
I would first ask how many persons are in your household?
[...]drying took an incredibly long time, maybe over 5 or 6 hours.

One persons.

I'm coming from a place where long drying time = 3 or 4 days.

There'll be more in the way of heating in the new place (radiators!), but I'm not sure to what extent I'll be able to use it.

Those I already have... *adds to list of options*

I've been looking at Which? reviews - seems there's an awful lot of spread in quality of results.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:41:13 pm »
A friend has a heated airer which seems to work well for that compromise between drying indoors in not much space and a tumbe drier.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:58:13 pm »
I currently have a 10 year old washer dryer ( a Hotpoint). A couple of years ago I bought a cheap tumble dryer, as I found the washer-dryer was taking ages to dry a load of laundry.

It seems my washer-dryer is suffering from terminal bearing failure, so I'll probably replace it with a standard washing machine (Probably a Bosch)

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2019, 10:12:23 pm »

Agreed. Our ancient Miele washer-dryer (not quite sure how old - it was in the flat when we bought it 4.5 years ago and certainly wasn't a recent model then) died a couple of weeks ago, and we've replaced it with a standard washing machine with a decent spin. We hardly ever used the tumble dryer function, and have a decent dehumidifier in the spare room.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2019, 10:43:51 pm »
Probably less electricity and less damage to clothes than a tumble dryer.

I would agree with this. I used to have a tumble drier, but swapped it for the complete set of books for a law degree reading list.

These days a dehumidifier and a airer over the door work just fine. I have radiators in my current flat, but I only use them in the depths of winter to dry jeans, which they do over night. Pretty much everything else goes on an airer that hangs over the bedroom door. It's all dry within 24 hours in the worst case. If I need things faster and the radiators are full of jeans, then I can put the dehumidifier under the airer.

I find it hard to justify the energy usage of a tumble drier given how fast clothes dry if you are sensible. Especially for 1 person[1].

J

[1] Assuming neurotypical able bodied person.
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2019, 10:50:29 pm »
My Bosch Exxcel WVH28360GB gets a decent load of laundry dry in 2-3 hours.

I forget to mention the number one great thing you can do with a washer drier, which is if you find yourself with e.g. a toothpaste stain on your best trousers and you need to leave in an hour, it has you covered.

« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2019, 11:42:23 pm »
A friend has a heated airer which seems to work well for that compromise between drying indoors in not much space and a tumbe drier.
On mine, it's the cover that makes the difference.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 31 August, 2019, 11:54:51 pm »
No, but to be fair my experience of one is 30 years ago. In a tiny kitchen it made sense, but the half-load washing and the neverland drying didn’t.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #22 on: 01 September, 2019, 01:09:59 am »
2years ago, we got rid of our Ariston washer drier, coz the main bearings had gone - Ariston probably havent sold to the UK market for about 10 years.   :o

I changed the main bearings on a previous Hotpoint washer, and managed to keep it going for about 16 years, but I've decided it is no longer worth the hassle.   :facepalm:

We probably used the drier 2-3 times. I used the same sheets and quilt cover for 2 years, managing to wash and dry them withing 12 hours, about every 10 days!  :smug:

By keeping an eye on the weather forcast, and having an old (1989) boiler with an airing cupboard and a big enough landing for airers,, we manage to keep washing turnover under control, with no need for a drier.  :smug:

I'm probably not helping, but , in my life, I'd probably not buy another washer-drier, coz I can cope without (and, yes  - it's maily me who does laundry,as well as cooking, washing up, ironing, driving, earning,etc.)  :(

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #23 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:22:09 am »
It used to be (and perhaps still is) that washer-dryers were the least reliable of all domestic appliances. We’ve never had one, preferring a washing machine with a 1400rpm spin. It’s a Bosch, and very quiet. Washing is hung out where possible, or on radiators when not. No dehumidifier necessary in our leaky cottage. We do have the advantage of an airing cupboard.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2019, 12:30:18 pm »
I used to have a tumble drier, but swapped it for the complete set of books for a law degree reading list.

[Insert witty comment about hot air]