Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 842271 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1075 on: 15 January, 2010, 11:50:03 am »
Only When I Larf ~ Len Deighton

I am curious as to why, when They published a matching set of Deighton's paperbacks in 1987 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of "The Ipcress Files", they left this out.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1076 on: 15 January, 2010, 05:26:26 pm »
Fair comment Flying_Monkey, it was just particularly irritating since it was central to the story, but really so wrong.  Still it wasn't as bad as Digital Fortress, which shows that Dan Brown really doesn't have a clue about crypto or computers.

That's worse because his books do rather depend on those sorts of 'facts' and are supposed to be 'researched' (by his wife as it happens...).

« Reply #1077 on: 15 January, 2010, 05:29:45 pm »
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Read this in one evening. It's quite harrowing. Not sure if I want to see the film now as I can't imagine it will be as good.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1078 on: 17 January, 2010, 08:33:09 pm »
I am struggling to read The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas.

The author is called Scarlett.  The narrator is called Ariel.  That may give you a clue as to the nature of the book.

But, beneath the waves of pretension and faux-cleverness, there is an interesting story developing, so I'm going to persist.

It wasn't worth the effort.  Droning, adolescent writing and dull characters.

I've now started to read The Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks.  With a deep sigh of relief. It's a similar feeling to breathing in a fine scotch after guzzling Vimto.

« Reply #1079 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:51:30 am »
'The Reader'

I was surprised by this, as knowing what the subject was I expected the book to be heavy going. It isn't, it's a quick read.

Very good, worth reading.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Deborah

« Reply #1080 on: 18 January, 2010, 10:57:57 am »
'The Reader'

I was surprised by this, as knowing what the subject was I expected the book to be heavy going. It isn't, it's a quick read.

I read that recently and whole heartedly agree with you.  I have yet to see the film.

« Reply #1081 on: 18 January, 2010, 01:20:52 pm »
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

it starts with "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."  and it just gets better & better :)

« Reply #1082 on: 18 January, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »
'The Reader'

I read that recently and whole heartedly agree with you.  I have yet to see the film.

Whilst I would not normally pass up the chance to watch Kate Winslet get nekked act, I'll pass on the film because I think it would spoil the book.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1083 on: 18 January, 2010, 03:33:57 pm »
I just read Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen again. I hadn't wanted to for a long time because it is a rewriting of an earlier 'trilogy' of his which I loved. But actually, this is even better. In fact I would go so far as to say this is amongst the greatest American novels ever written and certainly says more about America as a culture than many careful non-fiction accounts.

« Reply #1084 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:42:19 pm »
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

it starts with "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."  and it just gets better & better :)

I'm glad you reminded me - after reading this, I ordered it from the library.  The librarian clearly thought I was sending her up, and she was flabbergasted when it turned out to be in the catalogue :)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1085 on: 19 January, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Read this in one evening. It's quite harrowing. Not sure if I want to see the film now as I can't imagine it will be as good.

I started it this morning. I can't believe how much I have read and how much is packed into the story. The simplicity of the it is wonderful, I'm hooked and can't wait to get back to it.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1086 on: 19 January, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »
'The Reader'

Whilst I would not normally pass up the chance to watch Kate Winslet get nekked act, I'll pass on the film because I think it would spoil the book.
For those who are interested (and Tim) I have the film available to borrow, and it is a gem

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1087 on: 20 January, 2010, 01:51:01 pm »
On the recommendations made in another thread I am reading Years of Rice and salt .

« Reply #1088 on: 20 January, 2010, 01:56:29 pm »
David Lodge.

I've read:
Changing Places (funny, but so so)
Small World (much better)

Now on Nice Work, which is shaping up Nicely.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1089 on: 20 January, 2010, 02:08:05 pm »
David Lodge.

I've read:
Changing Places (funny, but so so)
Small World (much better)

Now on Nice Work, which is shaping up Nicely.

I love Small World - I've read it a few times. Very clever and very funny. I also enjoyed Nice Work and Changing Places.

I've also read Therapy and Paradise News, neither of which I would particularly recommend.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #1090 on: 20 January, 2010, 06:19:07 pm »
Just finished Danny Wallace - Join Me (very funny)

Just started Dan Simmons - the Hyperion omnibus (very large!)
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1091 on: 20 January, 2010, 06:35:43 pm »

I've now started to read The Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks.  With a deep sigh of relief. It's a similar feeling to breathing in a fine scotch after guzzling Vimto.

But a little reminiscent of some of his other stuff, no?  The Business and to a lesser extent Whit?

Still v enjoyable though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1092 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:25:21 pm »

But a little reminiscent of some of his other stuff, no?  The Business and to a lesser extent Whit?

I was only about 3 pages in at that point - I was commenting on how much better the writing is compared to the book I was reading previously.

Now I'm a bit further in, and I do agree, though it's reminding me more of The Crow Road than either of those.  I think it's the hints at family secrets, the adolescent reminiscences, and the distance between Alban and his family all remionding me of Prentiss.  Mr Banks does families a lot, doesn't he?

(I'm pretty sure I've read The Business, but I can't remember much about it)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1093 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:24:50 pm »

I was only about 3 pages in at that point - I was commenting on how much better the writing is compared to the book I was reading previously.

Now I'm a bit further in, and I do agree, though it's reminding me more of The Crow Road than either of those.  I think it's the hints at family secrets, the adolescent reminiscences, and the distance between Alban and his family all remionding me of Prentiss.  Mr Banks does families a lot, doesn't he?

(I'm pretty sure I've read The Business, but I can't remember much about it)

Its probably time I read some more Iain Banks. I love his books but they make me feel a bit ignorant. I read them, gripped by the story and loving the writing but when I get to the end of the book I find myself asking the question, "what the hell was that all about?" The Wasp Factory in particular springs to mind. Maybe I should re-read them.

« Reply #1094 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:55:44 pm »
Now, I loved the Wasp Factory.  It was the first of his novels I read, and I was carried away by the narrator's world and obsessions and isolation.  It did seem to be a punk novel.

I've read most of Iain Banks' "normal" fiction novels, and I know what you mean by feeling a bit confused at the end.  I enjoyed the ending of Walking on Glass and how the three stories complemented one another, but it was immensely frustrating at the same time.   I'll have to re-read Canal Dreams to try to work out what was going on there.

The Crow Road is his most satisfying novel.  The TV adaptation was excellent, as well.  I've got the DVD of that somewhere at my sister's house :)

« Reply #1095 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:37:17 pm »
Just finishing: "Final Impact" the last of John Birmingham's "Axis of Time" trilogy.  International military naval fleet from the 2030's accidentally goes back in time to 1942, and everything goes tits-up from there.  Not bad.

Just finished: "Dies the Fire" the first of the "Emberverse" books by SM Stirling.  In an unexplained storm-like phenomenon, the laws of physics slightly alter, rendering all electrical machines & combustion devices (including guns etc.) useless - and everything goes tits-up from there.  Very Good.  This is a spin-off from Stirling's "Nantucket" trilogy (island of Nantucket goes back in time 4000 years due to same unexplained storm-like phenomenon).  Great stuff  :thumbsup:

Just about to start: "The Greatest Show on Earth", Dawkins.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1096 on: 21 January, 2010, 11:08:04 am »
The Crow Road is his most satisfying novel.  The TV adaptation was excellent, as well.  I've got the DVD of that somewhere at my sister's house :)

It is indeed excellent, and was described as "annoyingly better than the novel in so many ways" by someone named Iain Banks.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1097 on: 21 January, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »
Now, I loved the Wasp Factory.  It was the first of his novels I read, and I was carried away by the narrator's world and obsessions and isolation.  It did seem to be a punk novel.

Have to agree with you on all of the above. Complicity is a close second after Crow Road for me.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1098 on: 21 January, 2010, 02:27:37 pm »

Have to agree with you on all of the above. Complicity is a close second after Crow Road for me.

d.

I still think Espedair Street is his most satisfying straight novel.

« Reply #1099 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:54:16 pm »
As it happens, I haven't read either Complicity or Espedair Street.  They're on the list, but it's a very long list.