Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 842374 times)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1250 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:57:44 pm »
I too am reading Barring Mechanicals by Arallsopp -

My copy arrived today :thumbsup:

Finished it now.Really enjoyed it.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for your interest.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

« Reply #1251 on: 12 March, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »
I too am reading Barring Mechanicals by Arallsopp

Mine arrived today. A picture of me in a ditch and several mentions. Excellent.

I read all of the work in progress on Cyclechat but it's much nicer reading it all in one book.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Deborah

« Reply #1252 on: 13 March, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »
Sophie's choice. Haunting.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1253 on: 17 March, 2010, 02:38:33 pm »
The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin

Finished.

It's an interesting book, first published 1963.  I've got (two copies of) the first Penguin edition, reprinted 1965.

He addresses 'The Negro Question' from an interesting perspective.  Baldwin was a young preacher before becoming disaffected once he knew the tricks, and he turns first to the way in which the churches help black people cope with persistent poverty and oppression by promising future salvation.  Then he recounts in detail a visit to see Elijah Muhammad, leader of the Nation of Islam.  There is much that he admires in the philosophy and practice of the Nation, but he has reservations about the parallels with far right groups, and, ultimately, finds the assertions and vocal support, while superficially comforting, at heart a bit empty and unconvincing.

His conclusion is, well, inconclusive.  But he does talk about how the creation of a US identity depends upon the liberation of white men, which can only come with the liberation of the blacks.

Baldwin is, of course, gay, and I'm not sure how many of his readers would have known this, although Giovanni's Room was published in 1956.  Muhammad was not understanding of homosexuality, so his visit (and potential conversion) may not have happened if he had been aware.

Nevertheless, Baldwin is an outsider in many respects, including his schooling among white jewish boys (which he describes in the first part of the book, which is in the form of a letter to his nephew), and takes an outsider perspective on most issues, allowing him an objective approach as well as offering the experience of coming from within the community he describes.

Baldwin has an interesting voice, and his experience as a preacher shows.  He uses long and convoluted sentences, and a floweriness of language that sometimes overshadows the meaning behind it.  I don't know what Baldwin sounded like (I hope there's something on Youtube I can check out), but the portentous and authoritatively didactical tone puts Morgan Freeman's voice in my head.

For a 90 page essay, it is bursting with held-in emotions of all sorts, and a reasoned, if perhaps flawed, conclusion.
Getting there...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1254 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:22:17 pm »
Just finished Michael Crummey's Galore. What a fantastic book! A magical realism-tinted saga of hardscrabble fishing families on the Newfoundland coast up until WW1. It starts with a man being pulled alive from the body of Humpback Whale... and gets better and better.

« Reply #1255 on: 24 March, 2010, 12:26:18 am »
I've just finished the Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, and currently I'm reading a random pick from the library shelves, After The Gold Rush: A Bicycle Journey through American History by John Stuart Clark.  It wasn't until after I checked out the book that I realised the author is better known as the cartoonist Brick.  Very good, so far.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1256 on: 24 March, 2010, 10:10:40 am »
An Utterly Exasperated History Of Modern Britain: Or Sixty Years Of Making The Same Stupid Mistakes As Always ~ John O'Farrell.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1257 on: 24 March, 2010, 10:14:05 am »
I'm getting into Mr Love & Justice, by Colin Macinnes.  I've tried a couple of times before, and got nowehre, but I'm really liking it this time.  I was wary of Macinnes, despite repeated recommendations, after seeing the abysmal film of Absolute Beginners, but I do like his style.  It's set in London of the late 50s/early 60s, and depicts Police corruption and the seedy 'vice' world.

Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1258 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:14:37 am »
Mary Tudor,The First Queen:Linda Porter

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #1259 on: 24 March, 2010, 06:31:59 pm »
Having finished the Hyperion omnibus by Dan Simmons I'm now about half way through Ring by Stephen Baxter (shame I've just found out it's the fourth part of a book 'sequence'). Rather interesting concept & I'm being helped along by Wonders of the Solar System on BBC2 in 'getting' some of the theory.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #1260 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:18:19 pm »
Germania, A personal history of Germans ancient and modern - Simon Winder

A book that's just stuffed with trivia and interesting things about Germany it's politics and culture from Roman times onwards. It's funny and informative and wanders all over the place whilst somehow sticking to a roughly chronological order. Makes me want to go and visit an out of the way town in Saxony.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1261 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:42:12 am »
I'm getting into Mr Love & Justice, by Colin Macinnes.  I've tried a couple of times before, and got nowehre, but I'm really liking it this time.  I was wary of Macinnes, despite repeated recommendations, after seeing the abysmal film of Absolute Beginners, but I do like his style.  It's set in London of the late 50s/early 60s, and depicts Police corruption and the seedy 'vice' world.

The two main characters first interact on p.109.  They glance at each other!
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1262 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:42:17 am »
Spitfire ~ Leo McKinstry.

Good account of both the aircraft and the politics, though I think he's a bit harsh on the Hurricane.  "Lancaster" vy the same author is also worth a look.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Deborah

« Reply #1263 on: 25 March, 2010, 01:17:27 pm »
Homage to Catalonia by Orwell.  An interesting mix of social and military history recreated from Orwell's experience of fighting in, and observations of, the Spanish Civil War

« Reply #1264 on: 31 March, 2010, 01:06:43 am »
Homage to Catalonia by Orwell.  An interesting mix of social and military history recreated from Orwell's experience of fighting in, and observations of, the Spanish Civil War

Excellent book, as I commented in this thread a few pages back. This forum (and this thread in particular) has encouraged me to read a fair bit of Orwell's work

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1265 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:13:19 am »

The two main characters first interact on p.109.  They glance at each other!

Well, I've just finished it.  One of the curious things about the book, which isn't intrusive but becomes increasingly apparent as a stylistic device, is that only the ponce Frankie Love, and the bent copper Edward Justice, get named.  All the others remain described by their role - Detective sergeant, star sleuth, star ponce, the madam etc etc.  This even extends to the women who live with Frankie & Edward, who are generally described as their 'girls'. 

It points up an objectification of people in a world where you aren't valued for what you are, but of how much use you can be, so you need to be constantly aware that your status can change very rapidly, depending upon the company you are in.

It's a London which is only just shaking off its wartime life, and yet to emerge into the 60s, but with a struggle between morality and the practicalities of living on the edges of society.  Many of the issues within the book give Macinnes an opportunity to discuss the complexities of racial and sexual politics in a rapidly changing society.

A great read, with a wry humour strung through it.
Getting there...

« Reply #1266 on: 31 March, 2010, 11:17:22 am »
I'm getting into Mr Love & Justice, by Colin Macinnes. 
I think I read that 35 years ago. Good book.

My age is showing. :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1267 on: 31 March, 2010, 11:22:31 am »
Mary Queen of Scots:Antonia Fraser

Deborah

« Reply #1268 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:17:13 pm »

Her books on the wife of King Henry VIII is good too.

LindaG

« Reply #1269 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:22:12 pm »
I've just finished the Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
I read this a couple of years ago.  I just thought it was a bit self indulgent at the time.  But even now I sometimes find little bits of Cloud Atlas coming back to haunt me.  In retrospect, really rather good.

I'm taking 'Leviathan' back to the library this afternoon.  I've got the new Ian McEwen, 'Solar', on order.   ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1270 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:53:44 pm »

I did contemplate that but in the interests of trying different authors I bought David Starkey's book on the same subject.
Thanks for the heads-up anyway.
Next on the agenda is an Elizabeth I biography

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1271 on: 31 March, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »

And Elizabeth as well  :thumbsup:

TBH I did not really like Antonia Fraser's book on Mary Queen of Scots, in fact I thought it was dire. I prefer her sister's books (A S Byatt and Margaret Drabble).

Am just about to start 'Swansea Terminal', by Roger Rees.

I did contemplate that but in the interests of trying different authors I bought David Starkey's book on the same subject.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1272 on: 31 March, 2010, 02:38:39 pm »
I am finding Fraser's style less engaging than that of Linda Porter & David Starkey.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1273 on: 31 March, 2010, 02:42:45 pm »

David Starkey?  David Stab-eye, more like, cause that's what he makes me want to do.  if not his, then mine.  I've heard him on the radio far too much.  How anyone can know so much, yet understand so little, and yet be such a smug, pompous, self-satisfied prig I cannot fathom.

I can stop sitting on the fence if you like ;)
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1274 on: 31 March, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »
What are we reading at the moment?

Unshelved by Gene Ambaum and Bill Barnes

[just what the world obviously needs - library humour]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles