Author Topic: 600km - What's in your Saddlebag?  (Read 12988 times)

Re: 600km - What's in your Saddlebag?
« Reply #25 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:39:13 am »
i started to take a very lightweight crap bag that goes over both shoulders (i cannot possibly call it a rucksack) for when the control has buy one get one free on 1.5 litre bottles of water.

It fits very small into a rack pack or pocket and enables the portage of said water, or even a half eaten fish and chip supper, for a good couple of hours before it gets unbearable. Then the supper gets finished, or the water goes in the water bottles, and the bag can go back in the rack/pocket/barley. (a couple of toe clip straps will attach to the barley metal loops and hold a raincoat and said bag)

I'm getting a Camper Longflap this year as an experiment. I suspect it will be too large.

« Reply #26 on: 04 April, 2008, 08:11:07 am »
I find a spare pair of shorts for a 600 to be a splendid thing - it's really cheering to be able to change.  Spare shirt not so much, although if there's a drop bag on the BCM this year I'll put one in that. 

I am trying really hard to take less stuff for the BCM this year - I have a tendency to overpack.  Charlotte's offered to lend me a saddlebag so I can take the rack off (I normally use a pannier). 

Less flapjack will prob be one thing - I invariably take more than I eat.

« Reply #27 on: 04 April, 2008, 08:49:26 am »
I don't think anybody's mentionned chain oil yet.  I tend to take a small pot on 600+ rides.  I find a wet 600 is about 200km too long to get away without a top-up of chain lube...

Mind you, I'm not exactly known for travelling light on longer rides.  BCM I did with a 20ltr pannier.  PBP I took two 20ltr panniers...

Most over rides I use a carradice super C.  The exception being the tandem, where we carry a full pannier, mainly consisting of tools/tubes/spares parts...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #28 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:51:04 am »
Never carried chain oil on an audax, can usually blag some if needed. Tuggo did the honours on the 2007 BCM, bike shop in Lincoln on 2005 LEL, bike hire place in a castle in 2007 Ower The Edge. Mechanic at Loudeac on 2007 PBP.

border-rider

« Reply #29 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:55:36 am »
Spare brake blocks for a hilly, wet ride.  I trashed a whole set in 100k on one ride last year  - though that's very unusual

« Reply #30 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:38:27 pm »
Spare brake blocks for a hilly, wet ride.  I trashed a whole set in 100k on one ride last year  - though that's very unusual

I fitted new blocks around Feb 2007. They looking a little worn now.

border-rider

« Reply #31 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:42:44 pm »
Oh indeed

I changed the ones I put on the MC when it was new (late 2005) just before PBP mainly because I thought I ought :)

But I didn't do many wet/orrid rides on that.  The On-One, used early season, chews 'em up.

« Reply #32 on: 04 April, 2008, 01:00:37 pm »
The Dean chewed through half a pair of blocks on the front thanks to the evil crosswinds on most of the open descents. My legs weren't in a spinny mood on some of the other descents either.

I carried a spare set of Campag brake pads around for ages until it dawned on my that both the Condor and the Aravis have Shimano/Tektro deep-drop brakes.

Will look at the SQR Tour although I think I prefer the rackpack idea.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #33 on: 07 April, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »
I've also found the Barley a bit small for a 600km. I tried an SQR tour, but I found that its length meant that it "wagged the dog" a bit too much for my liking when climbing.

I think I might get a Pendle, which has 3 litres more cpacity than the Barley http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebags/pendle-saddlebag.shtml, for the longer rides.

I'm also trying to work out a useable home-made handlebar bag based on a 2 compartment design. One a sort of grab bag for snacks on the go and the 2nd part, a closed compartment for things I might want to keep separate for clothes. The whole thing would have a flat top to take a map/routesheet.

« Reply #34 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:10:52 pm »
The Barley was fine again on the 300 this weekend but it was nearly full. If I'd have needed to take anything off I would have struggled to fit it in anywhere.

Going to pack the contents of the Barley into my Creek2Peak rack bag and see how much space is left over (should be quite a bit). I've also got to cut down the amount of stuff I drag round with me so I've got to get used to leaving the rack bag half-empty (or half-full depending on your POV).

The Pendle (and the Nelson) both look good. I'll see if my local Carradice supplier (in Merton) has them next time I'm down that way.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #35 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:18:52 pm »
I'm terrible because, although I have a Barley, I use my Nelson longflap and overpack!  I do tend to take far too much stuff - on my last 200 I had 2 jackets and a gilet with me ;D 

I envisage myself being stuck somewhere in need of a 8mm allen key for a square taper bottom bracket and a set of pliers.  However, I think that the Nelson would be great for a 600 (or maybe I'd need a Camper longflap).  I'd have spare clothes, a blow up bed, a wheel truning stand, dishing tool, headset press tool - you know the basic tool kit.

« Reply #36 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:55:54 pm »
You may laugh about carrying all that crap. I was out with Simon Jones on a night ride through London with Charlotte and he fixed her loose headset with a 2 inch adjustable spanner he happened to be carrying.

Try picking up Steve Airey's bike! Peliroja and I ran into him on a 300k last year and we reckon if weighed more than she did.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #37 on: 07 April, 2008, 03:39:44 pm »
i found a kit list in my box of audax paper work

I'm not sure what ride I did it for, a 400 or 600 I think

Headtorch
main light
2x spare main light batteries
14x packs of frog powder
L/S base layer
water proof socks
wintex longs
head band
maps
spare route sheet
change of shorts
change of top
gortex coat
spare contact lenses
pack of tissues
banana
flapjack
mobile phone
sunglasses

Note the list doesn't include any tools or a pump
I normally carry
multitool
duct tape
several cable ties
small screwdriver
pliers with side cutter
puncture repair kit
spare powerlink/bits of chain
spare misc. nuts and bolts
tyre boot
insulating tape

I have done one 600 ( a wet Bryan Chapman ) with just a Barley saddlebag but it was a bit tight.  It's more comfortable with a Super C 20 litre thing

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 07 April, 2008, 03:39:59 pm »
I think I may bungee some spare clothes on my rack in a waterproof bag and use my Barley.  At some point I may need to consider just taking 1 Ortleib pannier instead of saddlebag+rack option.

« Reply #39 on: 07 April, 2008, 04:22:38 pm »
Incidentally, in the run up to PBP I reduced the size of a lot of my regular gear.

Smaller headtorches can save you a fair bit of space.
Do you really need spare batteries? Put fresh ones in before the ride and you shouldn't need them. A good headtorch can save you carrying both a spare light and spare batteries for it.

I did the maths on powdered drinks as well. Its cheaper to buy tablets (unless you buy kilos and kilos of powdered Maxim or whatever). They take up less space and are less fiddly to dispense into the bottle. However, most garages and newsagents dispense some sort of sports drink. Less crap to carry and you have to buy something at controls!

For PBP I took a spoon, after having to eat yogurt with a tyre lever on one ride!

bobajobrob

« Reply #40 on: 07 April, 2008, 07:35:35 pm »
I found that my Barley was adequate for the BCM last year. I did leave behind some stuff that I was planning to take, namely spare socks, shorts and shirt. If it rains, this stuff would be really handy. Otherwise, I can wear the same pair of shorts for a week and not be bothered (others might be by the smell ;)).

Smaller headtorches can save you a fair bit of space.
Do you really need spare batteries?

This stuff saves a very small amount of space. 3 AAA batteries take up next to no room compared to a jacket or a pair of shorts. My advice is that you take enough clothes to survive down to about -10 and wear most of them all the way round, hence saving space in your bag.

I take about the same amount of kit on a 200 as on a 600. Some people take very little stuff, I almost got crucified on ACF for suggesting that a Barley is a good idea for audax.

« Reply #41 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:01:42 pm »
My advice is that you take enough clothes to survive down to about -10 and wear most of them all the way round, hence saving space in your bag.

I'm with you on that. The only changes in clothing I made on Saturday were changing from mitts+cotton gloves to waterproof gloves at sunset and putting on a thinsulate skull cap. Temperature went from freezing to mild (10oC?) and back to freezing and I didn't even take my jacket off at any of the controls. But I'm lucky in that I don't feel any negative effects from over-heating.

I take about the same amount of kit on a 200 as on a 600. Some people take very little stuff, I almost got crucified on ACF for suggesting that a Barley is a good idea for audax.

Again, I can't see myself taking any more on a 600 that I have done on a 300, but that's probably because I take enough for a 600 on a 300. I might just like a bigger bag for the same amount which stops me having to faff so much when I need something. The re-packing Barley->RackPack will be done later this evening.

« Reply #42 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:57:21 am »
Again, I can't see myself taking any more on a 600 that I have done on a 300, but that's probably because I take enough for a 600 on a 300. I might just like a bigger bag for the same amount which stops me having to faff so much when I need something. The re-packing Barley->RackPack will be done later this evening.

And stunningly exciting the re-packing was too. Plenty of space left over so that's a couple of extra tubes, spare shorts/socks/jersey (maybe) and stash space for items as it gets warmer during the day.

« Reply #43 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

I'm getting addicted to having a small pannier as well as a rackpack... overshoes and rainlegs and so on go easily in there. Reduces the intellectual demands of understanding the packing process, which can overwhelm me after more than a few hours.

« Reply #44 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:37:46 pm »
...the intellectual demands of understanding the packing process...

The late, fearsome Jean Luxton watched me removing outer garments at a control and depositing them in the saddlebag.

"Men don't pack," said she, "They stuff."