Author Topic: ACME Club Run, (open to all)  (Read 19144 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Club Run, (open to all)
« Reply #125 on: 09 February, 2023, 07:03:47 pm »
Tomsk, what time you getting to 'spoons?

Aiming to start after breakfast at 'Club Run' time of 09:30, so probably around 8:45 - 09:00

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #126 on: 09 February, 2023, 08:12:13 pm »
Tomsk, what time you getting to 'spoons?

Aiming to start after breakfast at 'Club Run' time of 09:30, so probably around 8:45 - 09:00

Okay, I will aim to meet you there for breakfast although I’m conscious that I’m developing a habit of saying I’m going cycling then not  >:(

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #127 on: 10 February, 2023, 11:05:02 am »
We're away for a couple of days so won't be awheel Saturday morning.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #128 on: 10 February, 2023, 11:21:47 am »
I am heading to Birmingham for the AGM of a well known cycling association but hope to be awheel more often from now.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #129 on: 05 March, 2023, 10:09:21 am »
A 200km run yesterday.
I rode Tomsk's Horses for Courses 200km perm while Tom, Mick, Richard and Ian rode the Horse Power Route check / helpers ride.
Meeting just before 8 we set off towards Lavenham with Tom on the front. A quiet first 50km. The weather wasn't great, a lot wetter than expected and enough to wind to make me glad that Tom was on the front.
A quick coffee and cake stop at Chilli and Chives ( I can recommend the coffee cake  ;D)
Then onto Snetterton, the wind didn't let up and it didn't get warmer but it did at least dry up.
We rolled into Tyrells just after 1. A pleasant stop ( Jacket Potato and Chilli in case you're interested). As we sat and eat the sky cleared and everything lightened up and looked much nicer outside... until we were ready to leave and it went dull and grey again  :facepalm:
A longish stint to to Haverhill with a kinder wind went quickly and we were soon in Spoons.. Apple Crumble all round  :thumbsup:
Much nicer than sheltering outside the BP last year in the rain.
All too soon we were leaving the warmth of the pub for the final stint to Dunmow. By this stage the week had caught up with me and it was all I could do to hang onto the back of the group. I was so glad when we rolled into the Angle & Harp car park shortly after 7.
A good meal and a drink and I was almost ready to ride the 1km back to the Rec car park. Fair play to Peter, Ian and Mick who had rode to the start and now had to ride home.
Thank for the company gents.
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #130 on: 05 March, 2023, 01:29:48 pm »
A longish stint to to Haverhill with a kinder wind went quickly and we were soon in Spoons.. Apple Crumble all round  :thumbsup:.

Newmarket?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #131 on: 05 March, 2023, 06:53:27 pm »
A longish stint to to Haverhill with a kinder wind went quickly and we were soon in Spoons.. Apple Crumble all round  :thumbsup:.

Newmarket?

Yep  :facepalm: lol

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #132 on: 05 March, 2023, 09:52:17 pm »
Check the forecast for next weekend and think yourself lucky  :o
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #133 on: 06 March, 2023, 07:30:53 am »

Winter's not done with us yet - not an unusual scenario for the helpers vs the main event ...

« Reply #134 on: 06 March, 2023, 09:03:11 am »

I did... I'm riding The Dean next weekend  :facepalm:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #135 on: 05 April, 2023, 08:31:23 am »
For me, Saturdays are all spoken for this month, but on Sunday 16/04 I'm thinking of checking the 100km Woodman route starting from 'Paradise', at 09:00 maybe?

« Reply #136 on: 10 April, 2023, 12:47:16 pm »
For me, Saturdays are all spoken for this month, but on Sunday 16/04 I'm thinking of checking the 100km Woodman route starting from 'Paradise', at 09:00 maybe?
My dislike of s**te weather this year means I can't give a reliable answer but if I say I will do my best to come it often helps so, I will do my utmost to be along for this next Sunday! My training for Hyrox take 2 is going well and I need to start moving towards the bike with some mountains incoming in May and June. I managed the Leith Hill Octopus on a cold and very wet day, not sure the bike has fully recovered from that though :-)

Out of interest, would this one be rideable on the Fixed? ie. Are the bridleways horrid or quite passable?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #137 on: 10 April, 2023, 05:21:05 pm »
Out of interest, would this one be rideable on the Fixed? ie. Are the bridleways horrid or quite passable?

I'm intending riding fixed as on other occasions - the Matching farm track is fine, but the Paslow Hall bridleway is a rough old tarmac/concrete farm road, which may have some grot and gravel on the surface in places. The farmyard/stableyard itself is a fairly short bit to walk if necessary.

It's the Flitch Way, Stort towpath and Hatfield Forest sections on the 50km that will need off-road tyres if it's at all soft going, but I'll be checking those nearer the event.

By the way, I will need to pop into the Shed in Sawbo to give them a heads-up, not that they'll be swamped as entries are lower than last year so far. I was thinking of trying the Ingatestone Saddlery Centre café (actually a little off the route at Margaretting) for lunch. There's much less choice on a Sunday around the half-way point. Plenty of pubs of course but many will be roast dinners only/booking needed.

« Reply #138 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:48:29 am »
 :thumbsup:

I shall aim to be at Paradise Cafe, fed and watered for a 9am depart on Sunday.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #139 on: 17 April, 2023, 07:40:07 am »
Next Sunday afternoon (23rd April), I'm aiming to take a ride up to the 'Crank-up' at Carver Barracks: organised by the East Anglian Traction Engine Society - agricultural and showman's engines, also vintage vehicles of all kinds, funfair etc. Admission £7.00, bar, food stalls etc.

https://swcrankup.co.uk/about-us/

The following Sunday (30th) there's the Great Dunmow Soapbox Race: https://www.greatdunmowsoapboxrace.co.uk/event-information

Lots going on!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #140 on: 23 May, 2023, 06:20:36 pm »
Meet up and ride to North Hill for the 2 x QOM climbs at the end of stage #2 (Maldon-Maldon) of the Ride London Classique. I'm suggesting Pear Tree Pantry, which is about 5 miles from TMNH, so meet at 11:00 then head over in a leisurely fashion via a convenient route, depending when we leave, and ascend to a convenient spectating point. Maybe shoot over to Maldon for the finish on the High Street after the second pass? First pass expected 12:55-13:07, second 13:25-13:41, finish 14:15-14-36.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #141 on: 23 May, 2023, 07:12:07 pm »
Since Grey Sheep has offered, we'll all descend on Café Ramblers for elevenses then! Soupy and I will ride over fairly directly via something like Pleshey, Little Waltham, Boreham. 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #142 on: 23 May, 2023, 07:15:50 pm »
We shall be newly back in Blighty and travelling from Newcastle so will have to pass on this experience
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #143 on: 19 November, 2023, 05:52:28 pm »
Despeuch and I joined the Chelmsford CTC run to Heybridge Basin today. It's been a while, a year maybe more since I've been out with them - lots of new faces. The pace was a little slower than my normal Audax speed, but very sociable (and with a longer café stop). Riding in from home to the Civic Centre corner by the bus station and later peeling off at Boreham, I still clocked up 63 miles.

I commend this to the house.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #144 on: 26 January, 2024, 02:02:18 pm »
Intending to join the Chelmsford CTC run this coming Sunday morning - destination Blake End for elevenses.