Author Topic: Edge 705 no longer connecting to my PC  (Read 7924 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Edge 705 no longer connecting to my PC
« on: 27 May, 2010, 10:54:35 pm »
Whilst in Wales last week, my 705 started playing up. When I plug it into my laptop, it just goes into charging mode, but not 'connected to computer' mode. i.e. I can still power it up and use it (the battery icon shows that it is charging), and the USB mass storage device is not detected by the computer. (Indeed, no USB device at all is detected by computer). It's as if I'm using a 'charging only' USB cable.
However, I've tried four computers (of all flavours), and about 8 different USB cables, no improvement. So this just leaves the 705 itself. I have hard & soft reset it, and tried with and without SD card inserted without any success.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any other ideas? I can't find anything like it on the Garmin support forum, starting to think I'll have to get in contact with them and/or return it...  :-\

Re: Edge 705 no longer connecting to my PC
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2010, 12:30:15 am »
Don't know if this is exactly the same problem as yours, but it may be of use.

Post #19: https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=35760&postcount=19 from this thread: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=4976

Shaun

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2010, 08:56:33 am »
I had the same problem with my Oregon - after a 3 minute conversation with Garmin - well 30 min if you include the hold music  :-[ they told me to send it back - so it may be worth checking with Garmin.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2010, 02:41:48 pm »
Thanks for the tips. Your google-foo is strong.

Looking through that thread, I decided it was time to call Garmin. They took very little time to decide it needs returning (didn't even bother suggesting reseting etc. Stated it's probably a failed usb connector, seems to be a dodgy batch or something).

So off to the postoffice in a mo. to send it back... just hoping it doesn't take long to fix.

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2010, 03:01:42 pm »
So off to the postoffice in a mo. to send it back... just hoping it doesn't take long to fix.

Garmin are usually pretty quick with getting stuff back. I had a basic yellow eTrex replaced when the display lost a few columns of pixels, only took 3 days or so.

As long as I'm not using it (I will be the weekend of June 12th/13th) you're welcome to borrow my 705 if you're desperate.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2010, 03:12:15 pm »
Garmin are usually pretty quick with getting stuff back. I had a basic yellow eTrex replaced when the display lost a few columns of pixels, only took 3 days or so.
That's good to hear. Hmm I better get out to PO pronto so it doesn't spend the whole w/e in their post bag.

As long as I'm not using it (I will be the weekend of June 12th/13th) you're welcome to borrow my 705 if you're desperate.
That's very kind  :thumbsup: So if it's not back by next w/e (5/6) I might just take you up on that. Don't fancy doing my first ever solo audax without some sort of technology to blame when I goes wrong  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2010, 03:13:31 pm »
I hope they are quick with my Oregon as well - I posted it on Monday. I miss it on my handle bars and have a 300 next weekend so would really like it back.

My past experience of Garmin has always been very good with turn around as well.  

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2010, 12:58:56 pm »
I've just spent all morning wrestling with this very problem, though slightly different in that I can view the SD Card with the mapping on in it and the 705 in Windows explorer.  Despite this l can't connect to the Garmin via Training Centre to download my ride history or upload any route files.

The 705 shows as a drive but when I try to access it I get a message saying it needs to be formatted.  After doing the hard/soft reset and goodness knows what else I decided to go for the format option ( I'd already lost all my ride history from the hard reset).  I was very wary of doing this even though the City Navigator mapping is on the Micro SD card.  Why they can't give you a backup on CD I don't know.  You can't even do a backup yourself.

Anyway, did the formatting with FAT32 and touch wood, it all seems to be working now.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »
Yep, I saw a lot of talk about the needing-formatting issue on the various boards intermixed with the no data connection issue. They seem to be quite unrelated though, and easy to distinguish (with my issue, the 705 would not go into 'connected to computer' mode, and would remain fully operational - the man at Garmin blamed this on broken connector i.e. physical defect).

When formatting the Garmin, could you not remove the SD card from the unit first?

I was annoyed to find out you can't backup the SD card -- it's incredibly easy to loose. Also, only after purchase did I find that only the DVD version allows you to unlock full mapping in Garmin Connect Garmin Training Center (EDIT), the download and SD card versions don't allow this.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »
Yes, thinking about it I should have popped out the SD card first, but as it was showing up as a seperate drive t didn't occur to me.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:51:30 pm »
Full marks to Garmin UK customer service: got it back today. Given Monday was bank holiday, that's 3 business days.

It's a replacement unit, fair bit higher serial number. If it was a batch issue, lets hope I'm out of it!

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:03:14 pm »
Code: [Select]
Full marks to Garmin UK customer service: got it back today. Given Monday was bank holiday, that's 3 business days.
I wish my Oregon had been as fast - 8 working days but apparently it has been dispatched now. To be fair i think they had no stock and as soon as new stock arrived it was dispatched. I suppose a couple of weeks is still really good compared to most companies.

It sounds like they are just replacing the Oregon with a new unit  :)