Author Topic: Talkytoaster's OS "Look & Feel"  (Read 3368 times)

Talkytoaster's OS "Look & Feel"
« on: 24 February, 2012, 01:35:01 pm »
Anyone any experience of these ?

Just thought I'd try the GMAPSUPP on the Legend HCX, as I come from a generation who imbibed OS symbology with mother's milk (at the proper 1:63,360 scale, none of this modern 50,000 malarkey)  :facepalm:

Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but road widths are such that in an urban area they overlap each other.  It's OK at near maximum zoom, but not much use at the sort of levels useful for cycling.  Anyone know a fix for this among the settings?

Anyone tried the installer for Mapsource that is offered by Talkytoaster?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Talkytoaster's OS "Look & Feel"
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2012, 02:53:58 pm »
road widths  ...  Anyone know a fix for this among the settings?

Try the maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ as well - they are less styled (roads are just lines), and also available as Gmapsupp and Mapsource versions.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2012, 03:23:48 pm »
Anyone any experience of these ?

Just thought I'd try the GMAPSUPP on the Legend HCX, as I come from a generation who imbibed OS symbology with mother's milk (at the proper 1:63,360 scale, none of this modern 50,000 malarkey)  :facepalm:

Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but road widths are such that in an urban area they overlap each other.  It's OK at near maximum zoom, but not much use at the sort of levels useful for cycling.  Anyone know a fix for this among the settings?

Anyone tried the installer for Mapsource that is offered by Talkytoaster?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I use talkytoaster on the etrex and mapsource - no road overlapping here

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2012, 03:31:23 pm »
Are you displaying more than one map at the same time? On my etrex 20 I've sometimes had multiple maps enabled and that can look a little like what you describe.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »
road widths  ...  Anyone know a fix for this among the settings?

Try the maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ as well - they are less styled (roads are just lines), and also available as Gmapsupp and Mapsource versions.

This is the one I usually use !
But various links to talkytoaster had me go look there to see what was on offer and I was "quite excited" to see a version that looked and felt like OS symbology.
FWIW I rather like the Mapsource implementation of it which I've now installed, if only because the roads are the "right" colours... and no overlap there.  It's only on the Legend HCx that I see that effect - and AFAIK that can only display one map at a time.

Someone remind me the program or workflow to get screen capture of the Garmins and I'll post it up.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
That website does have the option to include a Mapnik TYP file. This gives different styling, I think it looks better, with road colours similar to OS. It looks fine on my etrex.

It's only on the Legend HCx that I see that effect - and AFAIK that can only display one map at a time.
It can display more than one map at a time, if they are all part of a Gmapsupp.img file. It will depend on whether any of the maps are transparent, and the draw order of the layers as to what it actually shows.

Someone remind me the program or workflow to get screen capture of the Garmins and I'll post it up.
Use Garmin Ximage. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545

« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »
Here are the screenshots...thanks Fuaran for the reminder about Ximage, had it already installed, just couldnt remember name of the bloody thing.

First Talkytoaster's regular render

And the OS "look&feel"

Great having red, brown & yellow roads as per OS, but the "white" residential stuff is just pants.

« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2012, 01:37:38 pm »

That website does have the option to include a Mapnik TYP file. This gives different styling, I think it looks better, with road colours similar to OS. It looks fine on my etrex.

What does this Mapnyk TYP file do to the GMAPSUPP ?
Would I regret trying it ?

« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2012, 06:41:53 pm »
A TYP file is a sort of "style sheet" for a Garmin map. It's the addition of a TYP file within your TalkyToaster GMAPSUPP that has changed the map display from the first of your images into the second of your images.

The TYP file that can be included into the GMAPSUPP from Lambertus (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/) has a style based on the Mapnik style which is the default render for the OpenStreetMaps (OSM). Hence including the Mapnik TYP file into the Lambertus GMAPSUPP will make the Garmin map look like OSM.

Without the TYP file included, the Lambertus Garmin map will look stylistically identical to the TalkyToaster map (first image) as both will be using the default Garmin GPS render.

p.s. It's possible to "correct" the Talkytoaster TYP file to display properly on your Garmin (by making the white lines thinner). It will require some software (GMapTool) to unzip (and rezip) the TYP file from (to) the GMAPSUPP and an editor to change the TYP file content (e.g. TYPWiz 2) ... and some computer skills.

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2012, 08:49:59 am »
A TYP file is a sort of "style sheet" for a Garmin map. It's the addition of a TYP file within your TalkyToaster GMAPSUPP that has changed the map display from the first of your images into the second of your images.

The TYP file that can be included into the GMAPSUPP from Lambertus (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/) has a style based on the Mapnik style which is the default render for the OpenStreetMaps (OSM). Hence including the Mapnik TYP file into the Lambertus GMAPSUPP will make the Garmin map look like OSM.

Without the TYP file included, the Lambertus Garmin map will look stylistically identical to the TalkyToaster map (first image) as both will be using the default Garmin GPS render.

p.s. It's possible to "correct" the Talkytoaster TYP file to display properly on your Garmin (by making the white lines thinner). It will require some software (GMapTool) to unzip (and rezip) the TYP file from (to) the GMAPSUPP and an editor to change the TYP file content (e.g. TYPWiz 2) ... and some computer skills.

With you on the first 3 paragraphs...and thanks for the explanation.
Will pass on the 4th  :o

By the way - I get the feeling the auks have been active in the OSM editing....  was looking at a small village (in Mapsource) using the Talkytoaster map and found that the village Bus Shelter achieved the same prominence as the village Church which is Grade II listed !