Author Topic: Recumbent test/training ride in the West Midlands?  (Read 1933 times)

Recumbent test/training ride in the West Midlands?
« on: 14 October, 2017, 12:12:14 am »
Does anyone know if an opportunity exists to simply "have a go" on a recumbent, ideally in the Walsall, Wolverhampton area?  This request is on behalf of my sister in law who is unable ride a DF but has discovered exercising on some form of stationary "bent" trainer at her local gym.  It would be great to get her out on the road!
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Re: Recumbent test/training ride in the West Midlands?
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2017, 12:38:49 am »
If you're able to get to Wolverhampton, you're more than welcome to try out my trike.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2017, 12:59:40 am »
https://www.quest88.com/ comes up on the ICE dealer list.  Looks like they've got some Hase stuff too.  (Trikes are probably a good starting point, as you don't have to learn to balance them.)  Otherwise you're going to be travelling much further afield (London, Ely, Edinburgh, that sort of thing), as recumbent dealers are somewhat rare.  If it comes to that, you could do a lot worse than a visit to D-Tek.

What's her issue with DFs?  Arms?  Balance?  Back problems?  Saddles?  That'll have some bearing on what might be suitable.

The York and Mildenhall rallies are good places to spot recumbents in the wild, chat with their owners and maybe have a go, but it's the wrong time of year for that.  BHPC meets similarly, though they tend to be more at the ludicrous racing machines end of the spectrum.  I dare say we could arrange for some of YACF's resident darksiders to congregate for a pootle if it came to it...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2017, 11:29:51 am »
I'm a few miles N of Whitchurch, so about 45m N of Wolverhampton.  I have 20/26 Performer and 700c Performer recumbent bikes.  The 700c would be a bridge too far, but she's welcome to try the 20/26, if that's of interest.

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2017, 07:01:57 pm »
I would be happy to join a yacf pottering day should one be arranged  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:12:55 am »
I’m right by Cadbury’s in south Brum, happy to let you have a go on the speedmachine, but not sure it is the first choice for a starting rider.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2017, 01:13:12 pm »
I bet there's a lot of ppl 3 hours or more from the nearest recumbent dealer wishing to try one out. I fit into that category too. Based near Lancaster.

How far from peak district are you? There's West country recumbents somewhere in the south of the peak district I think.