Author Topic: Bonekickers  (Read 4811 times)

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
Bonekickers
« on: 22 July, 2008, 10:46:34 pm »
3 episodes in ... what d' you think?

IMHO it's at least better than Eastenders or any of those soaps, although those artifacts do seem wonderfully preserved, plus all the machines very quick and accurate.  :)

border-rider

Re: Bonekickers
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:51:50 pm »
They don't half make a mess of ancient artifacts though

This week, a Roman wall mosaic was smashed and a whole Celtic grave complex set alight :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:55:23 pm »
It is to archaeology what Torchwood is to police procedural drama.

Utter hilarious bollocks.  So bad it's good.  The dialogue!  The speculation!  The agonising inaccuracy!  The dialogue again because it's that bad! 

It hurts, but I like it painful.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:56:49 pm »
 ;D

They obviously had trouble finding a real Italian woman this week

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:16:31 am »
Must have been too wrapped up in the Roman hand grenades and All That Boudicca Bollox.  Oy veh, my academic credibility already.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:21:22 am »
I watched the first one last night. I can't imagine Carenza, Phil or Mick getting a bystander to help them tug on a bit of wood that's stuck in the ground...  :)

CathH

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2008, 01:09:26 pm »
I only lasted for one episode.  The acting was so bad it was inspired.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2008, 01:14:50 pm »
I watched the first one last night. I can't imagine Carenza, Phil or Mick getting a bystander to help them tug on a bit of wood that's stuck in the ground...  :)

That wasn't a bit of wood; It was one of the cast!
Getting there...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2008, 01:20:39 pm »

There are legions of archaeologists turning in their graves.

It makes Indiana Jones look like reality TV, but I'm bound to be watching it again next week ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2008, 01:22:56 pm »
If I wanted to watch the worst aspects of two well-known shows mashed into one god forsaken show I'd probably watch _Diet On The Dancefloor_ on LivingTV.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bikenerd

« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2008, 01:30:23 pm »
I haven't laughed at a program so much for ages.  :thumbsup:
The first episode was inspired!  (By what, I don't know).

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:32:31 pm »
It's unwatchable tripe. The short segement I accidentally saw last night reminded me of Blakes 7!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:33:36 pm »
I'm glad this thread was started, as I also don't know what to make of this or why I'm watching it.  I saw episodes 1 & 3, but only the second half of 2.

Acting is poor, the plot is crazy, and the show obviously has the one model - which is to end in a fireball destroying the amazingly well preserved item found, then cut to her looking at pictures of swords.

Last night's for example.  They went to Bath due to the explosion, arrived at the completely undamaged baths, walked in unapprehended, climbed down the ladders into a clean underground chamber.  "What now?"  "We DIG!!"   yeah right ::-)

It's so cringeworthy I can't believe I'm watching it.  But it's about the only show that I do so I suppose I'm excused.

And what's the big story about "the sword"?   (Or is that what the producers are hoping we'll pick up on to talk about the show and justify them putting it on?)

« Reply #13 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:34:55 pm »
It is to archaeology what Torchwood is to police procedural drama.

Utter hilarious bollocks.  So bad it's good.  The dialogue!  The speculation!  The agonising inaccuracy!  The dialogue again because it's that bad! 

It hurts, but I like it painful.

Hhhmmm...   yes  ;D

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:40:40 pm »
Guardian's review today contains

"one syllable removed from bonkers"

and

"would be much improved by the addition of a lovable, if cowardly, Great Dane"

:)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2008, 03:12:33 pm »

There are legions of archaeologists turning in their graves.
I think that's the plot for Episode 5.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 23 July, 2008, 04:30:31 pm »
Will it be the friction from the bodies turning in the graves that will cause the big fire scene at the end?

Si

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:39:10 pm »
It has caused some ruptions within some parts of the the archaeological community - although I have to say that the comments coming from several archaeologists seem to say more about their own egos than anything about this fictional drama that was made for the purpose of entertainment rather than as a genuine teaching tool.  The archaeologist who advised on it, Mark Horton, has recieved one or two particularly vicious attacks from one or two archaeologists who take themselves much too seriously (one of which I think is on a particularly sticky wicket when he has a go at this fictional series given the state of one or two of the 'academic' works that he has published).

It does seem that Mark Horton is the new anti-christ.  Despite only being the technical adviser on the series he is being blamed for everything that is wrong with it - "a disgrace to archaeology" one noteable archaeologist has labled Horton.

Of course, there are also many archaeologists who actually have a slightly better grip on real life and recognise that this has as much to do with archaeology as Miami Vice has to do with police work, CSI has to do with forensics, the X-Files has to do with government conspiricies, Star Trek has to do with NASA, Black Adder has to do with history, etc etc and treat it as what it is: a drama that just uses archaeology as a back drop and happily changes the rules of archaeology to improve the story (so not that different to the odd episode of Time Team then ;) )

whether or not it is entertaining as a drama is another question altogether.

Having said all of that: the older of the two main blokes in the series - I've definatly met that character a few times  :)

But I shall continue watching it 'cos it's vaguely entertaining in its reworking of many archaeological techniques.  Although I think that it is trying to be Dr Who too much with its mysterious underlying theme about her mother and excaliber (haven't quite decided if the sword comes from the fairies or space aliens yet though).  but the plots really are naff!

« Reply #18 on: 24 July, 2008, 09:18:46 pm »
Lets just say that I have a "sword" that Julie Graham could examine if she wished!

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #19 on: 25 July, 2008, 07:15:53 pm »
Why go digging for swords when you can buy them online;D

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:38:37 pm »
Now they're standing outside my old Uni department :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:52:43 pm »
Stop it, mummy, it hurts!

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #22 on: 29 July, 2008, 11:05:17 pm »
You know, there's a whole niche area of masochism reserved for people who deliberately watch TV shows which hurt.  At least I get paid for watching the ones I have to watch.   ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #23 on: 29 July, 2008, 11:09:54 pm »
Not seen this latest pile of crud but, coincidentally, I just came across this about a real archaeologist who's a friend of mine.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #24 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:47:56 am »
I actually donated 45 minutes of my life to this last night, and it makes me very very sad and angry that I'll never ever see those 45 minutes ever again :(  Why spend so much time on it? My forum name was used :) (Even though they got some details glaringly wrong, which is common according to Mrs T)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State