Author Topic: Have you been out with your camera today?  (Read 248976 times)

Re: Have you been out with your camera today?
« Reply #1525 on: 31 December, 2016, 09:15:02 am »
Climbed up a mountain...in the snow. It'll be awhile before I do that again! (900meters elevation in 7.5km).
It was very pretty, though!!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1526 on: 31 December, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »
The slope sounds like Austrian roads.  Very pretty scenery.

Lovely dog - I thought for a moment that you'd been followed by an elk.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1527 on: 02 January, 2017, 12:27:35 pm »
Misty evening as the sun goes down near Devizes in Wiltshire.

BIGGER
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #1528 on: 03 January, 2017, 01:37:09 am »
That's a very shot.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1529 on: 03 January, 2017, 01:32:38 pm »
That's a very shot.

Thank you, that's a very thing to say.

« Reply #1530 on: 03 January, 2017, 08:01:13 pm »
LOL. I think I'll just leave it like that :)

« Reply #1531 on: 05 January, 2017, 11:08:26 am »
...goes without saying.   :) 

Nice pic Lee, I like misty, moody.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1532 on: 05 January, 2017, 11:24:40 am »
+1

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #1533 on: 13 January, 2017, 09:24:29 am »
Moon setting in the north west as the sun rose opposite in the south east this morning.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1534 on: 15 January, 2017, 04:58:47 pm »
Anyone who's ridden the Watership Down 100 may be familiar with this scene, at Stoke Charity, Hampshire.

We were camping a mile away this weekend

BIGGER

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1535 on: 17 January, 2017, 04:55:54 pm »
Uploaded some photos to Youtube with a bit of background music.

Interested in hearing some comments about what effect the music has on your viewing.  At some point I'll string the same images together with another style of music.

I hope to go travelling, at some point in the next year or so, and I think I prefer the Youtube slideshow, as a way of displaying images, than a static website such as FLICKR.

https://youtu.be/0dGYHFWLzKg

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1536 on: 17 January, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »
An interesting topic.  This is pleasant, non-intrusive music which helps to keep you watching to the end, particularly with a mixed collection of images.  This particular music seemed to me to encourage reflective viewing, whereas some collections would be enhanced by an appropriately moody soundtrack, or lyrics which help to tell a story.  And then, of course, you might want to add text, poetry, or simply titles to convey a message.

Did you use any particular software to upload the photos and audio?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1537 on: 17 January, 2017, 06:56:12 pm »
An interesting topic.  This is pleasant, non-intrusive music which helps to keep you watching to the end, particularly with a mixed collection of images.  This particular music seemed to me to encourage reflective viewing, whereas some collections would be enhanced by an appropriately moody soundtrack, or lyrics which help to tell a story.  And then, of course, you might want to add text, poetry, or simply titles to convey a message.

Did you use any particular software to upload the photos and audio?

Windows Movie Maker.  Nothing fancy.  Youtube Audio Tracks (Royalty Free).

I found that particular track imbued the images with more melancholy than was present at the time.  It felt like the "Those we have lost" section in Sport Personality of the Year and it interested me to hear what other thought.

I'm sure a bright and bubbly track would transform them.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1538 on: 17 January, 2017, 07:15:22 pm »
Windows Movie Maker.  Nothing fancy.  Youtube Audio Tracks (Royalty Free).

I found that particular track imbued the images with more melancholy than was present at the time.  It felt like the "Those we have lost" section in Sport Personality of the Year and it interested me to hear what other thought.

I'm sure a bright and bubbly track would transform them.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I take your point about the music having a somewhat melancholy tone.  Looking again at the photos, I can see that a lot of them (but not all?) would lend themselves to something more up-tempo.

« Reply #1539 on: 17 January, 2017, 08:58:19 pm »
I had two problems with the music. First, it wasn't what I was in the mood for when I clicked the link. This may have exacerbated that I felt that the set of images didn't feel like they matched the narrative of the music - and vice-versa. It would fit for a few, then there would be a picture of someone being inquisitive or happy and the thread was lost for me. In the end I reckon that "people" are too diverse to fit a single song.

But, thanks for sharing. I've been musing about putting sound and music to photos lately so it was interesting to see what you did with it.

« Reply #1540 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:20:28 pm »
I'd just like to know why my father didn't give me the advice "Son, become a plinky-plonk music composer" and set me up for life. It's everywhere these days.

No, I'm not a lover of that treatment, neither the zooming of the photos, nor the limited resolution and especially not the plinky plonk, sorry. But then, I may not be your target audience. when I see/hear something I like I find out something about it. When I see a video on Facebook that interests me I always try to find the original and often find it has been edited; when I hear an artist I like I find out more about them. I don't care to be spoon fed.

I like your photos, normally I like to look at them properly at my own speed, I didn't enjoy the video. You may have noticed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1541 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:23:23 pm »
Interested in hearing some comments about what effect the music has on your viewing.  At some point I'll string the same images together with another style of music.

I hope to go travelling, at some point in the next year or so, and I think I prefer the Youtube slideshow, as a way of displaying images, than a static website such as FLICKR.

*twitches*

My $0.02:

Video is annoying.  Really annoying.  You might think being trapped on a Eurostar with no WiFi and wine served in plastic bottles is annoying, but that's nothing compared to pointless video on the web.

You want to show some images, great.  By turning them into a video you've either  a) just sucked up 4 minutes of my time  or  b) made me give up after the first three images,  depending on how interested I might be.

By making them a video you've made me plug my headphones in to see if there's anything of interest in the soundtrack, which is inherently annoying when there isn't.

You've got them fading and zooming around in a way that would be PowerPoint designer's wet dream, but that actually just prevents me from getting a proper look at the images, and makes barakta turn it off so she doesn't get a headache.

It's limited to video resolution, obviously.

I can't easily go and find image #27 to show someone later, or link to it in a post asking what that interesting looking thingummy is.

Flash, codecs, bandwidth, yawn...

</rant>

I think there's a time and a place for this sort of thing.  Usually as part of an actual video, or as a slideshow you're putting on in some physical space.  Perhaps as illustration to some recorded speech (although I'd generally prefer that as text) or even music.  But as a substitute for a webpage of images, it's just frustrating.  Like when you google for how to access the RAM slot on a Latitude D620 and instead of finding a nice page with some easily-skim-read text describing the procedure and a couple of images, the second of which shows the DIMM hiding cheekily under the keyboard, answering your question in about 3.5 seconds, you get a 7 minute portrait-ratio YouTube video of some millennial taking it apart while wittering into his mobile phone.

(This is not an endorsement of Flickr's UI.)

« Reply #1542 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:08:45 pm »
<applause>
I lasted 40 seconds. I'd have quite liked to linger on one or two, and click quickly on from one or two more: I might have liked to zoom in on another. And the music did nothing for me.

(Captions might have been nice, too.)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1543 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:11:35 pm »
I like to look at them properly at my own speed, I didn't enjoy the video. You may have noticed.

This is actually my exact feeling for looking at images as well but, long term, my travel images will be on a Blog, and gallery as well(for perusal at leisure).
I was looking at a way of doing a Monthly summary of highlights (with links to the originals).

The music is one of necessity for this test.  It's royalty-free from Youtube and hence "plinky-plonky". Using "decent" music can lead to viewability problems on some devices, due to copyright restrictions.

I need to look at something better than FLICKR for the photos though, I really don't like the UI.

Anyway... at the risk of having Kim come round my house and beat me to death with a hammer.... here's the same video set to a different mood (generic soft pop/rock this time....sorry).

It does change the mood somewhat.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaq8ugM29m0&feature=youtu.be

Look away now Kim.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1544 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:24:39 pm »

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1545 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:31:44 pm »
So, taking hints from above, I could link to the set of images, for anyone interested in the video.

Can someone tell me if this album is public? - https://flic.kr/s/aHskMhUAsp

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1546 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:35:20 pm »
Can someone tell me if this album is public? - https://flic.kr/s/aHskMhUAsp

Works for me.   :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1547 on: 17 January, 2017, 11:17:08 pm »
Hmm,

I watched the first video and got through 3 photos. Having been told there was music, I was on tenterhooks, and it seemed an age before it started. Then I knew that each photo was given the director's choice of timing, and that that choice would not equate with mine, so I flipped out and watched some Russian car crashes.

I think photos need the viewers timing. I want to click when I have finished feasting on an image (or when the millisecond of boredom has passed) I also think that a bog standard screen does photos no favours, compared with a print. But that is where we are, not everyone has more reasonably sized pixies than the Tory Brexit Plan.

Video is a different ball game from stills, it needs a story, a narrative. A load of great photos is not a story.

Great photos.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1548 on: 17 January, 2017, 11:28:49 pm »
The photos are brilliant!

I'm inclined to concur with teh Kim and Jaded. I like to view static images at my own pace, preferably in silence, as partner dislikes extraneous sounds.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1549 on: 18 January, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
The photos are brilliant!

Why thank you.

I find Street Photography the most interesting form of Photography to look at....but one I find the hardest to do. 
It needs a certain type of confidence to get in a stranger's face with a camera.
I'm working on it.

Some of my favourite images in the genre are nothing more than people going about their business.  What happens is that time gives them a certain significance.  The most humble shot of a New York street becomes a historical document 60 years later, even better if there's some humour in there (where the real skill lies) like Vivian Maier