Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575766 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9925 on: 06 April, 2018, 02:52:42 pm »
My bus from Carmarthen has failed to exist.   I've not missed it, there are several grumbling peeps at the bus station.
Maybe Mrs B is in her Carmarthen office.   Ring ring.  Nope.  She's out west.
Bugger.  I'm going to have to spend 2 hours waiting in a pub.

Oh. Hang on.  Wrong thread.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9926 on: 06 April, 2018, 06:03:46 pm »
I'm supposed to be travelling to Italy again on Sunday.  After simply ignoring emails all week requesting approval from my client's client today they have come back with a firm no.  They've dicked my client about.  They've delayed the travel administrator at my client in leaving for the weekend.  And I've got a crapload of gear out there including a bike with no idea when I'll be able to collect it.
Actually that's a lie, I'll just take time off next week and go at my own companies expense.  Whatever it is they've decided I'm urgently needed for in Woking, f##k 'em.

[ungrumble]
My client has just emailed to say they will cover the cost of a round trip to collect my gear.  They are hoping though that the yard I've been working in kick up sufficient stink to change our common clients mind.
[/ungrumble]
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9927 on: 06 April, 2018, 08:24:00 pm »
I don’t hate driving, in fact, I sometimes enjoy it. But after an eight hour journey from north Devon to East Suffolk I feel lousy. I hate the post journey feeling of nausea and vague headache.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9928 on: 10 April, 2018, 08:19:34 pm »
1) search Trivago for hotels in the Woking area
2) select Talbot Inn in nearby Ripley at a good rate via booking.com
3) book
4) get confirmation of booking at the Talbot Inn in Much Wenlock (150ish miles away)
5) speak to series of disinterested droids in booking.com call center in <somewhere> (Thailand? Just a guess from the accents)
6) Raise complaint about:
  a) being accused of making the mistake - I have the screenshots that prove otherwise
  b) being told I should accept any cancellation fee.  No booking.com, that is invoice fraud.  You placed the booking I did not solicit and you will profit from it via the kickback.  Fraud.
7) Receive glib response that fails to address either point in my complaint.
8 ) Raise complaint about complaint handling.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9929 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:52:32 pm »
Just had to sit next to very, very large gentleman in the (sold out) theatre.  He wanted half of my seat as well as his own.  His partner was not much smaller. And he had rank halitosis.

I have had 2 lots of spinal surgery, so getting comfortable is important to me. At half time I contemplated leaving, but the theatre put a seat in a vacant wheelchair space for me, but that obscured that lady behind until I was able to move a bit in the space available.

Well done to Theatr Clwyd tonight, but grossly oversize people who know they create a problem (his partner advised me to move seat!  Where?  It was sold out) should buy two seats.  Thank "deity of your choice" it wasn't a long -haul flight.  I'd have got off, shouting loudly......

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9930 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:16:43 pm »
65kg passenger with 25kg suitcase must pay for excess baggage.
120kg passenger with 20kg case does not pay.

Not fair!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9931 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:40:54 pm »
65kg passenger with 25kg suitcase must pay for excess baggage.
120kg passenger with 20kg case does not pay.

Not fair!

Not fair; equal.

The problem here is the space available in the seats.  It sounds like the theatre did a reasonable job at working around that, given the lack of notice.  It would have been easier for all if they'd provided some advanced warning to the theatre so their may-or-may-not-be[1]-a-disability could be accommodated, but equally, it would have been easier for all if the theatre had a few alternative seats designed to accommodate those with size[2] or ergonomic issues.

[1] In the legal sense.
[2] Including, for example, femur length.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9932 on: 11 April, 2018, 08:50:04 am »
I’m not sure I can even summon up the will to grumble about M$ and their crap OS upgrade processes. The second attempt to upgrade has just failed on me at the install Office stage and the only option being offered is to reinstall the OS, a 4 hr plus process.

Oh, and the first attempt killed all my data and the wonderful backup processes don’t appear to have been working.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9933 on: 11 April, 2018, 08:45:06 pm »
Offers sympathy and (virtual) beer.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9934 on: 12 April, 2018, 12:04:36 am »
Sainsbury's website closed for 'planned maintenance' on the stroke of midnight.
I am midway through placing an order.
We're sorry…

Our website is currently unavailable because of some planned maintenance. We hope to be back up and running soon.

You are rude liars!
There was no indication this was going to happen.
You could have warned me.
YOU ARE NOT SORRY
AT ALL!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9935 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:26:23 am »
My favourite routing site recently put in a paywall. Now it has changed from being pleasantly intuitive to being a can of worms with added bugs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

seraphina

« Reply #9936 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:34:38 am »
Weather. It is supposedly spring. I have spent a week trapped at home with children for half term because it is sodding raining non stop. One afternoon of out and aboutery; the rest we have been either stuck inside or trying to avoid going places that see me as a walking cashpoint. We did just bite the bullet and put on waterproofs but we all got naffed off quite quickly. Bah.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9937 on: 12 April, 2018, 10:13:44 am »
yes, after my traditional end to march with stupid hours, I'd intended getting out and about on the N+1 as the weather improved and daylight returned.

Also, Bah!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9938 on: 12 April, 2018, 10:21:34 am »
Better next week.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9939 on: 12 April, 2018, 11:17:55 am »
Chums are just back from a caravan holiday near Peterborough (no idea why they went but never mind). They had one day that was warm enough to go outside without a pullover and most of the time it was, er, bracing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9940 on: 12 April, 2018, 11:25:04 am »
An indescribably aged chum described Hillingdon on Sunday as the grimmest day's racing he's had in 35 years of going fast in circles on funny bikes.  Possibly not unconnected with falling off on the last lap of the second race, mind.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #9941 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:37:09 am »
It's usually in the first half of March that I change the 'phone's screen from snowy to blossomy. This year, I'm on the cusp - perhaps in a couple of days...
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9942 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:26:05 pm »
Went to the vending machine to buy a packet of crisps.
Put money in, widget moved 95% of the way and then stopped. Money gone, no crisps.
Come back with some more money, hoping for at least 1 packet of crisps.
Put correct money in. Machine tells me I'm 10p short. Press refund button, machine gives me what it thinks I put in, not what I gave it.
At which point I decided it was telling me I didn't need any poxy crisps anyway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9943 on: 13 April, 2018, 01:01:21 pm »
Went to the vending machine to buy a packet of crisps.
Put money in, widget moved 95% of the way and then stopped. Money gone, no crisps.
Come back with some more money, hoping for at least 1 packet of crisps.
Put correct money in. Machine tells me I'm 10p short. Press refund button, machine gives me what it thinks I put in, not what I gave it.
At which point I decided it was telling me I didn't need any poxy crisps anyway.

Sounds like it could use some percussive maintenance. One of my friends has a 14lb sledge hammer for sale.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #9944 on: 15 April, 2018, 12:54:54 pm »
Merrell Shoes: your casual slip-ons are really comfy, however, I really should have returned them, as the left one squeaks very loudly. Fortunately it has stopped doing so after a year. BUT the right one has now decided to echo its other half.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #9945 on: 15 April, 2018, 07:04:41 pm »
Merrell Shoes: your casual slip-ons are really comfy, however, I really should have returned them, as the left one squeaks very loudly. Fortunately it has stopped doing so after a year. BUT the right one has now decided to echo its other half.

WD-40?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9946 on: 15 April, 2018, 07:38:07 pm »
It’s Sunday evening, a time of mourning for us wage slaves.

« Reply #9947 on: 15 April, 2018, 07:59:50 pm »
According to the tracking page my dehumidifier is "out for delivery" and will be with me today by 8PM.

hmm..

« Reply #9948 on: 15 April, 2018, 08:02:01 pm »
Nope, didn't arrive. I need some dry cycling clothes to wear in the morning, and I'm not putting merino in the tumble.  :(

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #9949 on: 15 April, 2018, 08:06:54 pm »
Hermes. Don't need to elaborate.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.