Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284523 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
You had 15.2C at 01:18 this morning? Blimey! I left my shed (the Shed of Rock) at about 00:15 and it was just under 12C at that time. Pleasant for after midnight, but not warm. It's 12.8C now, we just had a fairly pathetic excuse for a shower, and the sun is threatening to break through the overcast. Good day for gardening!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yes, that looks right from the graph. I think the Davis records temperatures very accurately. Not so happy with the rain gauge though. The anemometer is far too low down to record accurate data.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Well, for the last two nights, the minimum temp has been around +2.5C here, as I expected, but the met office had forecast a min of +12C last night. (I have no idea where they got that came from - i supect it was a typo!)

Fleece all over the veg again tonight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Hell of a rain squall yesterday, really furious.  Didn't last long but it probably dumped a couple of mm in 15 minutes. Can't tell exactly how much 'cos our rain gauge got a neighbourly football through it years ago.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

It's been a warm sunny day.   It's 22°C in my flat & 18°C outside.  I'm not wearing a shirt....   

Is it just me or is this a tad warm for May ? 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

It's been a warm sunny day.   It's 22°C in my flat & 18°C outside.  I'm not wearing a shirt....   

Is it just me or is this a tad warm for May ?

Long term average would be 15-16. Last year (here) it was 22.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Yesterday it had an ice cream. It must have been summer.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
16.5°C maximum here in sanny Saarfend. I was out in it in my shirtsleeves near Colchester and it was very pleasant. But we've had quite a few warmer days this year.

https://www.tickfield.co.uk/weewx/tabular.html?report=NOAA/NOAA-2023-05.txt refers.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/16/pacific-northwest-heat-canada-wildfires-climate
Even Hudson Bay is finding it a bit hot. Beaten the previous warm record in May by 6c. Oregon and Washington state were on extreme heat warning. Spain and Thailand etc have been cooking. El Nino haven't kicked in yet, the next few month are going to be "fun".   
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I expect Oregon and Washington will be on fire again this summer, because I'm going there and it always is whenever I do >:(  My pal Jeff, who lives in Vancouver WA, was complaining about the heat a Several of weeks ago.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
30°C on the north wall of the house, about 20 minutes past local noon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Just back from weekly trip to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles so natch the sun comes out.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Merrily effing & blinding now. Blizortung puts it mostly up in the hills, though one strike was up behind the village where there's presumably well-earthed phone tower.

Can’t be long before we have a hosepipe ban here (Thames Water area). No rain for 2 weeks, none forecast for the next 2.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My brother recorded 1.2mm rain last night in Ramsden Heath. We recorded none in Southend.

What I am noticing is that when our indoor thermometer tells us the temperature is 19°C, I'm feeling cold. throughout the winter, when the heating was on, I was warm enough when it said 18*C. For the past couple of evenings we've switched on an oil-filled radiator.

For 30 years+ we have had the thermostat set at 70degF.
Because we didn't like the cost of fuel, I reduced the stat to 64degF in the autumn last year.
The radiators usually come on in the morning, for a short time.
This morning they stayed off.
Summer is here! (South Benfleet near "Saarfend")
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Goodness me, I hail from Thundersley…
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

I am in Spencer Road (bottom of and between Church Hill and Bread and Cheese Hill) went to Appleton in the 70s
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My Mate Jon Fuller was at Appleton School in the 70s. I reckon he probably left in about 1975 to 1977 - I think he's between 3 and 5 years younger than I am.

A former colleague of mine taught there from about 1981 but I don't know how long for.

Oh, and in another "small world" moment, my best pal from primary school, one Billy Fawkes, taught science there, probably in the late 1970s. He met an untimely death as a result of a faulty hang-glider.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

The wind vector chart for my weather station for May 2023. North is to the right. Almost constant NE winds throughout the month, with the exception of the 6 days 7th-12th, when it rained.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany

I am in Spencer Road (bottom of and between Church Hill and Bread and Cheese Hill) went to Appleton in the 70s
We were in Konnybrook and The Chase, I went to Southend High School in the 80s and then SEEVIC. My sis still lives in Thundersley near the Common but I have escaped to Germany…
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
BOOM! Tish...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tad cool today. The CH kicked in at one point.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

MONTHLY CLIMATOLOGICAL SUMMARY for Jun 2023

NAME: Prittlewell                 
ELEV: 20 meters    LAT: 51-32.95 N    LONG: 000-42.52 E

TEMPERATURE (C), RAIN (cm), WIND SPEED (km/h)

HEAT   COOL         AVG
      MEAN                               DEG    DEG          WIND                   DOM
DAY   TEMP   HIGH   TIME    LOW   TIME   DAYS   DAYS   RAIN  SPEED   HIGH   TIME    DIR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 01   13.0   16.8  15:47   10.4  04:57    5.3    0.0   0.00    8.5   27.4  15:54     47
 02   11.3   14.2  10:30   10.3  05:51    7.1    0.0   0.00    8.2   25.7  07:30     40

MONTHLY CLIMATOLOGICAL SUMMARY for Jan 2022

NAME: Tickfield House, Southend-on-Sea, UK                 
ELEV: 20 meters    LAT: 51-32.94 N    LONG: 000-42.51 E

TEMPERATURE (C), RAIN (cm), WIND SPEED (km/h)

HEAT   COOL         AVG
      MEAN                               DEG    DEG          WIND                   DOM
DAY   TEMP   HIGH   TIME    LOW   TIME   DAYS   DAYS   RAIN  SPEED   HIGH   TIME    DIR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 01   13.1   15.3  13:01   11.8  08:57    5.3    0.0   0.00    5.1   20.9  02:44    217

A little comparison of the weather today compared to New Year's Day last year. Today is colder.

The Dyson fan has been bought out of hibernation from behind the iMac.
It has not yet been pressed into service.