Author Topic: What was the last play you watched?  (Read 47232 times)

Re: What was the last play you watched?
« Reply #150 on: 26 July, 2023, 07:19:43 pm »
Someone on Twitter posted a link that bypassed the front page of the ordering site and I was able to buy one that way.   Useless ordering process.

Edit:  In this place, not one of our usual theatres.  https://theguideliverpool.com/liverpool-film-studio-to-transform-into-theatre-as-it-welcomes-the-stars-in-new-production-of-macbeth/

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #151 on: 26 July, 2023, 07:50:40 pm »
Aye, in London it's in a former Decathlon, now a warehouse-style events space, and in Edinburgh they're putting it on in the Royal Highland Showground at Ingliston.

« Reply #152 on: 16 November, 2023, 11:45:56 am »
An upcoming production that may be of interest to any members of the Clarion, or anyone with a historical interest in the right to roam.   http://www.townsendproductions.org.uk/shows/behold-ye-ramblers/

I've been very lazy at updating this thread, but have recently seen....

Macbeth,  Shakespeare Northern Playhouse, Prescot.
Great Expectations, Royal Exchange, Manchester.
Boys From The Blackstuff, Empire Theatre, Liverpool.
Metamorphosis, Playhouse, Liverpool.
Romeo & Juliet, Royal Exchange, Manchester.
The Book of Will, Shakespeare Northern Playhouse, Prescot.

ian

« Reply #153 on: 17 November, 2023, 07:52:13 pm »
The Good Life. Yes, that one. I've never seen the 70s TV show. In fact, I'd not twigged it was that until I was in the theatre bar. Was quite amusing though

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #154 on: 18 November, 2023, 12:20:34 pm »
A week ago, in That London...

Ian McKellan and Roger Allam in 'Frank and Percy', a comedy which is both funny and poignant.

A glimpse of desire in later life, in this case between two older men discovering each other through the medium of their unseen dogs during walks on The Heath. I didn't know anything about the plot before watching it, but I did enjoy it.

The Other Palace theatre is small, and it was set up with a circular stage where the audience wrapped around perhaps two thirds of it. A curved backdrop took up the rear third.
This removes the whole 'fourth wall' thing of the traditional proscenium arch, allowing the actors to have a more intimate connection with the audience. There was eye contact and an unspoken yet present acknowledgement of the audience, which worked well in the intimacy of the small theatre.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #155 on: 22 November, 2023, 08:52:35 pm »
Frankenstein at the Devonshire Park Theatre in Eastbourne yesterday. We generally go away for our wedding anniversary and this year (42 years) Eastbourne hosted us.
It was a recent retelling of the story, set in 1943 and with a lot of the sexes swapped (Frankenstein was female). Just as powerful as the original and very absorbing.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #156 on: 22 November, 2023, 08:56:15 pm »
Frankenstein at the Devonshire Park Theatre in Eastbourne yesterday. We generally go away for our wedding anniversary and this year (42 years) Eastbourne hosted us.
It was a recent retelling of the story, set in 1943 and with a lot of the sexes swapped (Frankenstein was female). Just as powerful as the original and very absorbing.
Sounds interesting.

« Reply #157 on: 22 November, 2023, 11:31:47 pm »
Thought I posted this a couple weeks ago...
Double bill of "the speckled band" and "murder in the rue morgue".  Two actors only doing both plays.
#1 son very stressed at other people being in the theatre, but he enjoyed it.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #158 on: 23 November, 2023, 01:20:57 pm »
The Stranger (Christie, A) at the Little theater in Dundee.

Next is likely to be the Rep's Christmas Carol

« Reply #159 on: 28 November, 2023, 05:26:47 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #160 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:56:02 pm »
Arabian Nights, Bristol Old Vic.

Flat rollicking fun…

It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #161 on: 02 February, 2024, 12:25:42 am »
Macbeth. Bristol Old Vic.

A modern take on the classic, with tech witches, modern set, karaoke and a rearranging of the text, timewise. It all made sense, although some of the enunciation meant your knowledge of Macbeth was important.

Quite macabre, with death and blood, some killings were intense and graphic.

Oh, and I had a part on-stage, which was nice.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #162 on: 02 February, 2024, 02:10:11 pm »
Remembered I had taken a pic of the set before the start.

Yes, readers, I sat at that table during a Burns Supper in the play  ;D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #163 on: 02 February, 2024, 09:42:39 pm »
Two this week. First, the musical 'Operation Mincemeat'. That was a recommendation from one of my wife's colleagues, from whom we won't be taking any more recommendations. We left at the interval.

Second, a newish comedy, 'The Unfriend', which is getting a lot of coverage, partially as it currently stars Frances Barber, Lee Man and Sarah Alexander, all of whom make a rather thin script work well as an ensemble piece. On the way home, my wife commented that it worked as a theatre piece because we could see all the characters at the same time but that if we'd begun watching it on TV we'd have switched off fairly early.  If you fancy an undemanding and amusing night out, I'd recommend it, but I don't think it would survive long with a different cast.

Next up - unless something interesting pops up locally - is Ian McKellan in Player Kings. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing him having a whale of a time in Frank and Percy so it will be interesting to see him in a more 'formal' role.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

« Reply #164 on: 03 February, 2024, 11:20:14 am »
My wife and her friends love Operation Mincemeat. I quite enjoyed it. Horses for courses, it probably helps to be a big fan of musical theatre as opposed to historical drama. I'm less of a fan of the aforementioned genre, but was dragged along to, wait for it, I Should Be So Lucky on Thursday. Yes, it features a large digital advice-giving Kylie. I'd like to be uncharitable, but I secretly didn't mind it. A bit like surreptitiously snarfling an entire packet of Dairylea slices from the fridge.

Second bout of the day of the musical theatre was Rehab the Musical, which was genuinely quite good. It was one of those venues without a real stage and we were in the front row of our block. I can say that Mica Paris's voice at full output is seismic (I didn't know it was Mica Paris or, for that matter, Keith Allen until afterwards – blimey, she's got a voice though despite the fact she was obviously having some throat issues).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #165 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:47:51 pm »
A couple of weeks ago...

A production of The Scottish Play in Edinburgh (in a bit of a warehouse out at the airport!) , with Ralph Fiennes and Indira Varma.

A modern production insomuch as they rock up in modern military kit in the first instance, but the dialog is straight canon. Well worth it.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #166 on: 03 February, 2024, 10:15:21 pm »
My wife and her friends love Operation Mincemeat. I quite enjoyed it. Horses for courses, it probably helps to be a big fan of musical theatre as opposed to historical drama.

I can see that and I'm conscious of being something of an outlier on this one. I thought the songs were clever, to the extent that we could make out the words, but we found that many of the cast could hold a tune well but garbled their words so they were incomprehensible, which rather defeats the object of having clever lyrics. And the James Bond joke was funny the first time but....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #167 on: 03 February, 2024, 10:41:15 pm »
The Other Palace theatre is small, and it was set up with a circular stage where the audience wrapped around perhaps two thirds of it. A curved backdrop took up the rear third.
This removes the whole 'fourth wall' thing of the traditional proscenium arch, allowing the actors to have a more intimate connection with the audience. There was eye contact and an unspoken yet present acknowledgement of the audience, which worked well in the intimacy of the small theatre.

Technical term for that is a thrust stage.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #168 on: 03 February, 2024, 11:27:29 pm »
A couple of weeks ago...

A production of The Scottish Play in Edinburgh (in a bit of a warehouse out at the airport!) , with Ralph Fiennes and Indira Varma.

A modern production insomuch as they rock up in modern military kit in the first instance, but the dialog is straight canon. Well worth it.

London next, in the old Decathlon store at Surrey Quays/Canada Water - we're going early March

« Reply #169 on: 14 February, 2024, 03:18:27 pm »
https://northwestend.com/drop-the-dead-donkey-the-reawakening-the-lowry/

I've got a ticket to see this in May.  I hope it's as good as I remember the TV series.

ian

« Reply #170 on: 14 February, 2024, 08:43:23 pm »
My wife and her friends love Operation Mincemeat. I quite enjoyed it. Horses for courses, it probably helps to be a big fan of musical theatre as opposed to historical drama.

I can see that and I'm conscious of being something of an outlier on this one. I thought the songs were clever, to the extent that we could make out the words, but we found that many of the cast could hold a tune well but garbled their words so they were incomprehensible, which rather defeats the object of having clever lyrics. And the James Bond joke was funny the first time but....

I didn't have the problem, but I've been dragged along enough times that I probably osmosed the words. I think we saw it years ago at the Menier Chocolate Factory, or possibly the Southwark Playhouse (I'm looking forward to Police Cops). It seems to have gone through a number of iterations since then (think we also saw it at Hammersmith).

« Reply #171 on: 09 March, 2024, 06:10:55 pm »
We’re just back from a packed matinee performance of The Kite Runner. Superb, with live tambour music as accompaniment, and actors projecting their voices with nary a microphone in sight. Very moving.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #172 on: 10 March, 2024, 09:17:05 am »
A couple of weeks ago...

London next, in the old Decathlon store at Surrey Quays/Canada Water - we're going early March

And indeed, we went last weekend.

Good, but with a hint of disappointment - it was definitely good rather than great.

Indira Varma great, very collected, but Ralph Fiennes was phoning it in a bit. OK, him phoning it in is still pretty good, butl didn't get as much depth as I'd hoped.

One of the reviews (Time Out maybe) said something like they'd been left with the sense that his motivation for murdering the king and tearing the country apart was simply that it was written in the script - l'd love to be able to say that was unfair, but can't really!

Glad to have gone nonetheless - and apparently the Tennant one which sold out the Donmar is going to get a West End transfer towards the end of the year.