Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 374050 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #275 on: 29 September, 2011, 05:14:55 pm »
That depends on whether it is possible to explain doppler shift in words of up to one syllable.  :demon:

Fairly easily, if the syllable is "Ouuuraaaaaaaaaaaagh!"

;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #276 on: 29 September, 2011, 06:19:31 pm »
i get them a lot when iam out riding just ignore them just ignorant ppl that thinks they better then anyone that has got no engine

« Reply #277 on: 29 September, 2011, 07:13:24 pm »
Altho I sometimes get a nice surprise - riding a vintage Moulton home, wind behind me, going as fast as the rush hour traffic.  A car load of yoofs slowed down to drive alongside so I assumed the usual inane insults but no ....

I was asked about the bike, and the response was 'you're going as fast as we are'

Dave
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #278 on: 01 October, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »
Last night, as I gave a friend's child a lift home on the Pino, we were spotted by a yoof.

"Man, that is well cool...." said inna gangsta stylee

<slight pause as he clocks the complexity and uber coolness of the Pino>

"How do they do that?"

And today, out en route to Crystal Palace from Gravesend, via the Hoo peninsula (ask Jurek why), a Small Boy saw the Pino

Small Boy :"Where did you get that bike?"

Me: "A bike shop in Dulwich"

Small Boy, emphatically: "That's where I'm going"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #279 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:15:47 am »
I wasn't riding - I'd just dismounted and was walking along the High Street to a bank.  Drunken oik said, so slurred I almost missed it

"You're too old for lycra"

I responded, "When you're faster than me you can criticise.", but I suspect it was lost on him.

But I regard this as progress.  A few years back, I'd have expecte him not to say I was too old, but too fat.
Getting there...

Rimnod

« Reply #280 on: 03 October, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »
County road. single lane, 12%, 1km plummet into a left hand sweep before the road opens out a bit and levels.   Blue transit on my wheel all the way down, pulls along side as the road levels, passengers window open and I'm thinking 'here we go.'

Driver leans forward and shouts "42 miles an hour there mate, your a nutter!"  He then pulls off into the distance.

Made me grin

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #281 on: 03 October, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »
I had an oik on a bicycle shouting stuff at a runner (me) this afternoon.  Too garbled to tell what.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #282 on: 03 October, 2011, 07:07:27 pm »
This evening - plodding up the hill out of Congleton - rear seat passenger: "can't you go faster in that thing?"

Me (grinning): "not uphill I can't"

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #283 on: 03 October, 2011, 08:33:13 pm »
FNRttS: Trans-midnight, somewhere on the Cowley Road, Oxford.

Young Lady in Short Skirt: "Are you lot serious?"
Me: "No!"
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #284 on: 11 October, 2011, 01:31:27 pm »
Last night - same place - in the rain.

LOUD SQUEAL right by my right ear - obviously intended to startle. Fortunatley my startle reflex has attrophied with overuse, so I just looked bemused at the twonk is he pulled his head back into the mini bus.

I'd like to think he felt stupid as I looked at him, but I doubt his brain is developed sufficiently for that.

Si_Co

« Reply #285 on: 21 October, 2011, 08:06:34 am »
On the way to work today, white van comes alongside passenger shouts:  "Nice ar$e"
As the van passes inside, the cab "That was a bloke!"

;D

Might be time to get the pony tail trimmed

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #286 on: 21 October, 2011, 01:52:30 pm »
On the way to work today, white van comes alongside passenger shouts:  "Nice ar$e"
As the van passes inside, the cab "That was a bloke!"

;D

Might be time to get the pony tail trimmed

;D ;D ;D

Nah, get it bleached. Research Shows drivers give cyclists with long blond hair more space...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #287 on: 21 October, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »
Very out of date, but......

on the Seething 600k, about pub chucking out time, a crappy Vauxhall Corsa, favoured oik transport, draws up alongside as i am on a minor road. "Oi mate your back wheel is following you!" After a few words explaining what i'm doing and where I have been and going to, there's a bit of a silence. "Respect." Then they drove off.

maybe one day they'll take up audax?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #288 on: 05 November, 2011, 01:35:46 pm »
Not Oiks and not shouted but nice anyway

Two little kids on BMXs outside Spar

Kid 1 - That's a really sick bike mister

Kid 2 - Yeah I like them little wheels

Kid 1 - Is it one of them foldaway ones?

Cue a couple of minutes explaining how it folds
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #289 on: 05 November, 2011, 09:07:29 pm »
One from a couple of weeks back, whilst out on the bent:

"Man, that bike is sweet. And he's got bare muscles."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #290 on: 05 November, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »
Riding through Uxbridge after dark, one bloke on an unlit BSO to his mate on a matching one:

"Blimey, she's got good lights!"

;D   :smug:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #291 on: 05 November, 2011, 09:17:23 pm »
We rode to Whitby, and as predicted, at no point did any goths shout "Cyclewankers!" or similar at us.  Just a nod of respect from a couple of the steampunk persuasion as I winched the SMGT up a Bastard Hill.

I like goths.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #292 on: 26 November, 2011, 12:12:02 am »
Because sometimes it isn't funny:

Particularly unpleasant incident today, somewhere on the A513 between Tamworth and Burton:  Solid white line through some bends, lorry holding back patiently behind me.  Nowhere sensible to pull in (it's all soft verge), so I just keep trundling as fast as my aching joints will allow until the road straightens out and the lorry performs a safe overtake.  Hatchback appears following the lorry (which is heavily loaded and taking time to move up through the gears), with a Mk 1 chav sticking out the passenger window, waving a fist aggressively, shouting "...UCKING [inaudible] FUCKING BIKE!".  Somewhat predictably, the abuse turns sexual as they get a couple of car lengths ahead.

I do try to be zen about these incidents, but I fear it would have wrecked my cycling mojo for the rest of the day, if the lurgy hadn't already done the job.

:(

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #293 on: 26 November, 2011, 01:17:30 am »

Particularly unpleasant incident today, somewhere on the A513 between Tamworth and Burton:  Solid white line through some bends, lorry holding back patiently behind me.  Nowhere sensible to pull in (it's all soft verge), so I just keep trundling as fast as my aching joints will allow until the road straightens out and the lorry performs a safe overtake.  Hatchback appears following the lorry (which is heavily loaded and taking time to move up through the gears), with a Mk 1 chav sticking out the passenger window, waving a fist aggressively, shouting "...UCKING [inaudible] FUCKING BIKE!".  Somewhat predictably, the abuse turns sexual as they get a couple of car lengths ahead.

I do try to be zen about these incidents, but I fear it would have wrecked my cycling mojo for the rest of the day, if the lurgy hadn't already done the job.

:( indeed.

The SMGT is, of course, ideally suited to mounting land-based-torpedo-like-custom-radio-controlled-(or-autonomous)-ordnance particularly suited to picking out targets that have recently overtaken you.

The major difficulty being the balance between making the target acquisition easy versus surety of being able to dodge the flaming debris.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #294 on: 26 November, 2011, 02:45:01 am »
I must remember to artfully disguise my crutch carriers as a launch system for a self-guided weapon  :demon:

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #295 on: 26 November, 2011, 08:54:18 am »
Young Chavette on a segregated cycle path "you're blindin me wiv dem lights" No, I'm blinding you with those lights"

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #296 on: 26 November, 2011, 08:56:13 am »
Waiting at a red I had the timeles "your wheel's spinning round"  "I'm stationary, do you want to have a rethink?"

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #297 on: 26 November, 2011, 09:21:42 am »

Death is too good for them. Maybe helmet cam is in order to publicly name and shame the twunts?

« Reply #298 on: 26 November, 2011, 10:10:54 am »

I had this the other week-I think it's something to do with hatchbacks...

Riding home as fast as possible on Charlotte's bike after an unscheduled deflation (which defeated us due to surprise Woods valves and an unstickable rear wheel)-so already somewhat stressed, I met a hatchback coming in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION.  The shouts of "f*cking cyclist" were one thing, but one suggested that they "turn round and get...(the rest was inaudible as they had gone round the bend).  I cycled very fast and with half an eye over my shoulder for quite some time after that, but they didn't in fact return!

This was only a couple of days after I'd been offed by a hatchback too!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #299 on: 26 November, 2011, 04:34:00 pm »
I had this the other week-I think it's something to do with hatchbacks...

Presumably that they're the only cars that particular demographic of macho idiots can afford to insure.