Author Topic: National 400 2017 (or Sleepless in Aberystwyth)  (Read 42408 times)

Re: National 400 2017 (or Sleepless in Aberystwyth)
« Reply #200 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:49:37 am »
I've used tubeless with zero roadside attention for 2 years, anyway to not take away from a great event, I'll move any tubeless talk here https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87521.msg2181757#msg2181757

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #201 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:38:57 am »
Superb ride.  I don't think I could have picked a better ride for my first 400.  The route was amazing, the controls and helpers were all wonderful and the weather was pretty decent too.  I was nervous beforehand - and felt pretty crap for the first 50km and was having some dark thoughts - but picked up and felt pretty good for the next 300.  Final 50 was a little torturous but managed to drag myself through.

Thanks very much to everyone who made it such a great day...

« Reply #202 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:50:52 am »
Quite simply that was the best National 400 (and therefore best 400) I have ridden. John and Linda laid on a superb event. The organisation and planning were meticulous and from what I experienced it was all implemented flawlessly. The route and timings were fantastic with lots of scenery and points of interest; sufficiently challenging but not too difficult for a National event. All the controls were really well run and it was amazing to see how smoothly and efficiently each one operated; the food was excellent, there was always a choice and there was mountains of it! Oh, and the pre-ride meal on top of everything else! Well done and thank you to all the volunteers and especially John and Linda; you delivered an event to be proud of that will live long in the memory.

« Reply #203 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:04:11 am »
... grateful to Richard and Jack for letting me ride along with them on the routes  to and from Aberystwyth.

Thank you too! It was definitely a group effort. I found the ride as a whole physically quite demanding, but spirits were generally good because of all the nice people to ride with, and running the controls.

Thank you also to the organisers and volunteers who delivered more good hot meals (super efficiently) than I've ever had before on an audax.

Agree with others that in and around the Elan valley was a great part of the route.

It was my first time camping at the start of an event. I'd do it again; it added to the sense of adventure.

Chris N

« Reply #204 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:18:02 am »
I had a great time.  Rode with Adam for the first half (thanks for the tow :thumbsup: ) but started to slow down on the hills through the Elan Valley so continued on my own from there.  The control at Aberystwyth was very welcome after what felt like a constant headwind for the first 270km, but all of them were great and I reckon contributed to my fastest 400 so far.  The last stretch from Trefeglwys to the finish dragged on and if I was being really picky I'd prefer the last control to be a bit further on (or for the van of delights to have been near Marton).  Big thanks to John and all the volunteers. :thumbsup:

« Reply #205 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:32:37 am »

Many thanks to John and his team of enthusiastic volunteers for making this an absolutely cracking event from start to finish.

From the porridge at the start, to the full English Breakfast at the finish and all the fantastic food offerings in-between. This was definitely the event where no one needed to worry about going hungry  :thumbsup:

Add to that, a combination of a great route, some pretty decent weather and the company of fellow cyclists it made for a truly memorable event (for all the right reasons).

Thanks again

Paul C

« Reply #206 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:13:54 pm »
Totally support all the positive comments for this event.  Everything about it was superb and every control a joy to visit.  The route was quite nice too!  (Even though I said I would not do a route from Upton Magna as I am allergic to them there hills.)  Very many thanks to all the folk involved in making life very nice and comfortable for the riders.  And a big 10/10 to John (and indeed Linda) for ensuring the event was so good.  My third National 400 on the trot and each one was a very memorable event.  Big boots to fill for the folk organising National 400 for 2018!

As an aside, some miserable low life scumbag decided they would prefer a pair of clear eye protection glasses at Aberystwyth so took mine while I was on the toilet and left a pair of the cheapest nastiest sunglasses available.  Not an accident as my clear eyewear was neatly placed in my helmet and leaving their tat nearby was a deliberate act of theft.  They probably realised that sunglasses are not particularly useful at night and no doubt indicates 'novice' status in the night riding experience area.  The clear glasses also had the necessary reading correction that I require in order to navigate; fortunately I had reading glasses with me as well that were not brilliant and provide very little eye protection for my contact lenses that I also wear.  No blame whatsoever on the wonderful folk manning that control, but whoever took them deserves all the bad cycling karma that comes their way and I really hope it comes their way by the shedload.  Low life scumbag action of a cretin.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #207 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:40:57 am »

As an aside, some miserable low life scumbag decided they would prefer a pair of clear eye protection glasses at Aberystwyth so took mine while I was on the toilet and left a pair of the cheapest nastiest sunglasses available.  Not an accident as my clear eyewear was neatly placed in my helmet and leaving their tat nearby was a deliberate act of theft.  They probably realised that sunglasses are not particularly useful at night and no doubt indicates 'novice' status in the night riding experience area.  The clear glasses also had the necessary reading correction that I require in order to navigate; fortunately I had reading glasses with me as well that were not brilliant and provide very little eye protection for my contact lenses that I also wear.  No blame whatsoever on the wonderful folk manning that control, but whoever took them deserves all the bad cycling karma that comes their way and I really hope it comes their way by the shedload.  Low life scumbag action of a cretin.

I very much doubt it was a fellow Audaxer. When I arrived at Aberystwyth (7:30 PM) there was a chap dressed like a cyclist, but clearly not part of the event, who was going around bothering everybody. Then a couple of drunk folks popped in asking all sorts of questions about what was going on. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those weird characters, possibly a cyclist, nicked your glasses

« Reply #208 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:50:48 am »
I very much doubt it was a fellow Audaxer. When I arrived at Aberystwyth (7:30 PM) there was a chap dressed like a cyclist, but clearly not part of the event, who was going around bothering everybody. Then a couple of drunk folks popped in asking all sorts of questions about what was going on. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those weird characters, possibly a cyclist, nicked your glasses

No weird folk when I was there which was about 2hr after you.  Kit was also furthest from the door and near the stage area. Be surprised to learn it was a cyclist who no doubt realised dark glasses are not appropriate for night riding and stole my clear ones. A mistake I once made (only dark glasses with me) but I was lucky and was riding in a group so others did the navigation. Thief is low life scumbag who deserves what cycling karma will bring (hopefully). Fortunately, it did not put an end to my ride, but it could have had significant consequences.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #209 on: 27 June, 2017, 01:50:42 pm »
I wrote a piece on my blog about the event, it's mostly for non AUK people, who are not aware of long distance cycling

https://whosatthewheel.com/2017/06/27/sleepless-in-aberystwyth-or-the-auk-national-400/

« Reply #210 on: 27 June, 2017, 03:29:42 pm »
I wrote a piece on my blog about the event, it's mostly for non AUK people, who are not aware of long distance cycling

https://whosatthewheel.com/2017/06/27/sleepless-in-aberystwyth-or-the-auk-national-400/

aha... we were a couple of hours behind you and stopped to see how fresh the accident was... looked very fresh so checked for bodies and carried on  :P

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #211 on: 27 June, 2017, 04:48:27 pm »
I had a great weekend that started with a beer at the Euston Tap on Friday evening before jumping on the train to Shrewsbury along with a few other riders.

I found Chris N at the HQ and pitched my tent next to him before drinking his beer. This was my first night of camping since getting back from our 2016 tour & I was shocked at how small my one men tent was compared to the massive three person tent from last year.

Chris & I set off at 7:45 and had a good ride through Herefordshire, tho neither of us really knew where we were as it's an unfamiliar area. The 17% climb before Brockhampton was an unexpectedly tough climb & proved to be the worst of the whole ride.

Once Chris and I got into the Golden Valley we knew where we were & somewhere on the  Boughrood we're picked up my a small group that kind of stayed together until Cwmystwyth.

The Elan Valley & Van of Delights was magnificent. After Aberystwyth it felt like we'd broken the back of the ride. I really enjoyed the climb out of Aberystwyth along the A44 as I chatted with Ian (from Manchester) & we made good progress to Audax Hackney control at Trefeglwys. I tried to have a conversation with Ivan, but every sentence I uttered was interrupted by an annoying coughing fit, despite feeling fine. The gnocchi seemed like an inspired menu choice.

The final leg involved Ian trying to time trail along every main road, even when the route would turn into a side road & I'd've to shout out "right! RIGHT!!" to keep him on track. With 15km or so to go we came across the police dealing with a car that a muppet had parked on it's roof in a narrow lane. It was an impressive piece of parking. After lifting the bikes over the glass we were pretty much home.

After some much appreciated food at the arrivee I fell into my tent having completed a great ride and another SR series.

Thanks to Chris and Ian for the company & all the helpers who made the ride possible.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #212 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:23:36 pm »
I had a great weekend that started with a beer at the Euston Tap on Friday evening before jumping on the train to Shrewsbury along with a few other riders.

I found Chris N at the HQ and pitched my tent next to him before drinking his beer. This was my first night of camping since getting back from our 2016 tour & I was shocked at how small my one men tent was compared to the massive three person tent from last year.

Chris & I set off at 7:45 and had a good ride through Herefordshire, tho neither of us really knew where we were as it's an unfamiliar area. The 17% climb before Brockhampton was an unexpectedly tough climb & proved to be the worst of the whole ride.

Once Chris and I got into the Golden Valley we knew where we were & somewhere on the  Boughrood we're picked up my a small group that kind of stayed together until Cwmystwyth.

The Elan Valley & Van of Delights was magnificent. After Aberystwyth it felt like we'd broken the back of the ride. I really enjoyed the climb out of Aberystwyth along the A44 as I chatted with Ian (from Manchester) & we made good progress to Audax Hackney control at Trefeglwys. I tried to have a conversation with Ivan, but every sentence I uttered was interrupted by an annoying coughing fit, despite feeling fine. The gnocchi seemed like an inspired menu choice.

The final leg involved Ian trying to time trail along every main road, even when the route would turn into a side road & I'd've to shout out "right! RIGHT!!" to keep him on track. With 15km or so to go we came across the police dealing with a car that a muppet had parked on it's roof in a narrow lane. It was an impressive piece of parking. After lifting the bikes over the glass we were pretty much home.

After some much appreciated food at the arrivee I fell into my tent having completed a great ride and another SR series.

Thanks to Chris and Ian for the company & all the helpers who made the ride possible.

Ah, you are the 72 inches man... we rode together for a bit before Brockhampton control... blue top, black Dolan

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #213 on: 27 June, 2017, 06:17:38 pm »
Blue Tørm top I assume you mean?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #214 on: 27 June, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »
Blue Tørm top I assume you mean?

yes, that's the one which I got for free...  ;D

« Reply #215 on: 27 June, 2017, 10:11:46 pm »

With respect as one of the people running that control:

The 'chap' was the husband of somebody I've known for years (through rowing) who was attempting her first 400.  He wasn't in the event, but didn't cause any bother to my mind and even insisted on paying for the cup of tea he had.  Ultimately my discretion to let him in and not something I regret; he certainly wasn't taking advantage.

There were a few moderately interested revelers.  I can assure you none of them crossed the threshold unaccompanied...
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #216 on: 28 June, 2017, 06:27:33 am »
My apologies, after 12 hours on the saddle perceptions are a bit vague.

Chris N

« Reply #217 on: 28 June, 2017, 11:34:44 am »
we rode together for a bit before Brockhampton control... blue top, black Dolan

the very clean Dolan with the exceptionally clean cassette.  Nice to have met you - I was riding with Adam - on a ti bike, grey shirt. :thumbsup:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #218 on: 28 June, 2017, 11:42:49 am »
we rode together for a bit before Brockhampton control... blue top, black Dolan

the very clean Dolan with the exceptionally clean cassette.  Nice to have met you - I was riding with Adam - on a ti bike, grey shirt. :thumbsup:

Indeed, it was nice to meet you all. I bought the frame in mid May, the previous was more racey and uncomfortable on the distance, built it up with components from the previous bike and since then it's always been dry... the cassette also is a last minute addition, I had a bigger, Hardknott-proof one, but I figured I didn't need it for this ride.