Author Topic: Cestyll Cymru 300, saturday 18th june  (Read 9060 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Cestyll Cymru 300, 2017
« Reply #50 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:11:19 pm »
Re. the Garmin 500:

1) The crumb trail should be plenty good, it certainly is in my simpler Garmin 200. If it isn't, there might be some problem with your unit. Battery might not last long enough for a 300Km though.
  • A Garmin 500 will last a full value 200 with about 20% left.
  • Mine at over 6 years old provided backup to route sheet on my first 300 recently.  It spent about an hour at stops plugged into an external battery* and finished with 68% charge left.
  • For route planning cycle.travel generated .tcx work exceedingly well to 200k
  • On the rather complex 300 above turn instructions ran out at 255km, too many instructions for one file.  The 'map' worked fine to the finish.
* you need a special cable to be able to feed a 500 without it going into computer mode and ending the ride.  Search on this forum for the Amazon link.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #51 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:37:53 pm »

* you need a special cable to be able to feed a 500 without it going into computer mode and ending the ride.  Search on this forum for the Amazon link.

Valuable piece of information there, as I have exactly that problem with my 200.. any punter on the special cable?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #52 on: 10 July, 2017, 10:27:49 pm »
Valuable piece of information there, as I have exactly that problem with my 200.. any punter on the special cable?
My Amazon order history has this and this in it on the same date, I'm 99% sure those two together are what you need.  They certainly look like what I used at the weekend.  I ordered them last year after reading, I think, this thread and had no need for them until now.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Cestyll Cymru 300, saturday 18th june
« Reply #53 on: 11 July, 2017, 06:54:07 am »
I was only on the 200 and came in as lanterne rouge, even though I was well under 12 hours. I'm sure everyone else is speeding up!
Very enjoyable ride indeed - wonderful scenery and castles, good grub from various coffee shops. The climb through Blaenau was a struggle after 150km but the legs managed it, and were rewarded with a good run in to the finish.

Thanks to the organising team, but the routesheet was not fit for purpose - one fellow rider had to put up with my slow crawl for around 10km as he didn't have gpx. He was more than a little cross. I guess a warning on the description on the website might have avoided problems
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

whosatthewheel

« Reply #54 on: 11 July, 2017, 07:57:31 am »
My Amazon order history has this and this in it on the same date, I'm 99% sure those two together are what you need.  They certainly look like what I used at the weekend.  I ordered them last year after reading, I think, this thread and had no need for them until now.

Awesome, thank you, all on order!

« Reply #55 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:43:14 am »
My Amazon order history has this and this in it on the same date, I'm 99% sure those two together are what you need.  ...

Yes, that would make sense as the actual device connector (with the data pins disconnected to prevent 'computer' mode) is crossed with a female USB, which then needs converting to male USB unless one's power pack gives the alternative option (which would be unusual).  Thanks also for the tip, I was thinking of the national 400 next year and was wondering if something like this would be available...

I still like my routecards though  ;)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #56 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:50:47 am »
I was thinking of the national 400 next year and was wondering if something like this would be available...

... and I need a wheel to suck at the National 400 next year, sounds perfect!  ;D

Re: Cestyll Cymru 300, saturday 18th june
« Reply #57 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:17:21 am »
You can follow my wheel if you want, as long as you don't mind full value lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy