Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754172 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7075 on: 22 June, 2015, 12:43:34 pm »
I will ride the route backwards until I see you lot coming the other way - which is fun when you watch it on Strava flyby* later - this time I will loop round in front or beside you so that the Hustler can't get his toe down while I am looping and leave me playing catch up.

* Looking at last Wednesday, Oaky must have been no more than a couple of hundred yards behind us through Kelvedon and Braxted until he cunningly took a direct route to the pub.  Obviously the functionality of Strava is far more exciting for me than the rest of you who have been using it for years.

You and I are assuming that Rowhedge is a goer without any buy in from the founding fathers.  Seems a shame not to go for it when it is the longest bit of daylight we will have on MEMWNS this year but I am conscious that some of our number made a bit more effort than we did at the weekend.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #7076 on: 22 June, 2015, 12:55:59 pm »
I will ride the route backwards until I see you lot coming the other way - which is fun when you watch it on Strava flyby* later - this time I will loop round in front or beside you so that the Hustler can't get his toe down while I am looping and leave me playing catch up.

* Looking at last Wednesday, Oaky must have been no more than a couple of hundred yards behind us through Kelvedon and Braxted until he cunningly took a direct route to the pub.  Obviously the functionality of Strava is far more exciting for me than the rest of you who have been using it for years.

You and I are assuming that Rowhedge is a goer without any buy in from the founding fathers.  Seems a shame not to go for it when it is the longest bit of daylight we will have on MEMWNS this year but I am conscious that some of our number made a bit more effort than we did at the weekend.

Yep the strava flyby is old hat now i'm afraid Ted, many of us were using this a few years back......  ;D of course the Godfather OD won't be able to grace us with his presence and i'm not sure which side of the pond Oaky is on this week so we have to see whether messiah's Huggy and Tomsk fancy joining the Hustlers speed fest this week.

I'm happy to go elsewhere if they aren't.

As soon as you see any bike lights coming towards you I would say it's a good idea to spin around as the Hustler will be down on his drop bars when he sees you come into view  ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7077 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:21:00 pm »
What is this "flyby" of which you speak?

« Reply #7078 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:21:35 pm »
I will be enjoying a drop of wine and some lake view in Geneva this week....

« Reply #7079 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:22:27 pm »
Thank you OD, now I don't feel quite so out of touch with DL's high tech world.

But I bet you know what it is really.

« Reply #7080 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:23:10 pm »

I think that might be a bit far for Huggy this week even with the extra light.

The Retiree

« Reply #7081 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:31:30 pm »

I think that might be a bit far for Huggy this week even with the extra light.

What if we got the Hustler to increase the MPH or for you audaxers KPH??

Thank you OD, now I don't feel quite so out of touch with DL's high tech world.

But I bet you know what it is really.

Have you synced your Garmin with your Strava account yet Ted?

« Reply #7082 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »
I'd prefer it if you didn't use the G word.

The Retiree

« Reply #7083 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:50:37 pm »
I'd prefer it if you didn't use the G word.

Sorry I didn't mean to drag up 'private stuff' from your time in the bus shelter with Huggy  :o

« Reply #7084 on: 22 June, 2015, 01:58:56 pm »
It's that useless device that takes up space on my bars that I am talking about.

If the latest update doesn't improve it then it's going back.

The Retiree

« Reply #7085 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:01:04 pm »
It's that useless device that takes up space on my bars that I am talking about.

If the latest update doesn't improve it then it's going back.

How does that saying go again...... something about bad workman always blaming their tools  ::-)  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7086 on: 22 June, 2015, 04:42:05 pm »
Sorry to interrupt "The ted and Doggers Show". I don't know about the two of you getting a room, how about your own thread?  ::-)  ;D

Something for you all to think about ...

I propose we have a weekend overnight event in September or early October. Something that perhaps involves tents, beer, bacon, pubs, more beer ( have I mentioned pork?) oh yeah, and possibly bikes.

I know the Saturday 5th is already earmarked for the BBQ but are there any dates that work or don't?  Have a think.

The Retiree

« Reply #7087 on: 22 June, 2015, 04:51:06 pm »
Sorry to interrupt "The ted and Doggers Show". I don't know about the two of you getting a room, how about your own thread?  ::-)  ;D

I propose we have a weekend overnight event in September or early October. Something that perhaps involves tents, beer, bacon, pubs, more beer ( have I mentioned pork?) oh yeah, and possibly bikes.

I know the Saturday 5th is already earmarked for the BBQ but are there any dates that work or don't?  Have a think.

Yes apologies about hogging the airwaves OD I blame Ted and have suggested to him that we may need to start our own thread!  :P

Hmmm quite like the sound of that may be even more appealing if trainmanbri or Ted could bring their caravan to pitch up with!!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7088 on: 22 June, 2015, 06:48:48 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. I'm doing my 600 on the weekend of 18th Sep so if you could accommodate me I'd be interested any weekend after that. Also how about a Friday night Colchester pub n curry run?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7089 on: 22 June, 2015, 06:54:48 pm »
Friday Night Rides to the Pub (FNRttP) is also a tradition too long neglected.  Memories of the last Colchester raid still make me smirk.

« Reply #7090 on: 22 June, 2015, 07:07:49 pm »
Friday Night Rides to the Pub (FNRttP) is also a tradition too long neglected.  Memories of the last Colchester raid still make me smirk.

Maybe try not to stay out too late this time..... ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7091 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:04:51 pm »

Maybe try not to stay out too late this time..... ::-)

Was it gone 3am?  I'm sure it was a record  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7092 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:15:17 pm »

:thumbsup: Pretty much any weekend in Sept/Oct will suit me, except for 18th October. At some point there will be an Essex SR medal ceremony, probably in October or November. [Just ordered the new medals - they'll have date bars to hang underneath, so the old style first batch will become collectors items!]

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7093 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:16:01 pm »
...And so to this Wednesday??

« Reply #7094 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:13:15 pm »
Rowhedge per above ?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7095 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:38:23 pm »
This Wed is probably a bit to far for me this time round :)  Not helped with a hectic day at work before hand.  Looks like it will be a nice evening for it.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7096 on: 23 June, 2015, 03:31:18 pm »
The Anchor at Rowhedge is ok by me. I'll make my own way there, but will probably be on the same route in as the peloton, from about Kelvedon onwards...That'll be three night rides for me in the last 7 days - great PBP training  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7097 on: 23 June, 2015, 03:40:35 pm »
I should hopefully be around, and as usual not setting off until after my meeting with the colonials finishes at 8pm.  I'll be trying to find a modified route that allows me a chance of catching you up again :)

Rowhedge sounds like a nice outing for one of these lighter evenings!  :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7098 on: 23 June, 2015, 04:14:07 pm »
Don't forget to talk about dates for the overnight event one weekend in September or October.

« Reply #7099 on: 23 June, 2015, 10:18:23 pm »
Finally, a pair of shorts to make you faster up TMNH!

North Hill Logo Bib Shorts

(These guys are based in Chelmsford btw. Never heard of them before)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!