Author Topic: What to do with wabbit stock?  (Read 1054 times)

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
What to do with wabbit stock?
« on: 03 February, 2013, 11:50:44 pm »
Just jointed three wild wabbits. Tommorrow the meat will make two large raised pies. The carcases will, with vegetables,  make approaching a gallon of stock. We're used to making and using chicken, duck and goose stoc but where on the stock spectrum will wabbit stock lie? Should I include the giblets (the stomachs, intestines and bowels have been dumped) in the stock or not? Any particular recommendations for the use of the stock?

Re: What to do with wabbit stock?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2013, 03:07:01 am »
Yes include the giblets.

The stock comes out richer than poultry, but not as thick as beef. I think I've used it as the starting point for making a reasonable French Onion Soup in the past. 
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
Re: What to do with wabbit stock?
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2013, 06:56:39 pm »
Thanks for the hints! French onion soup sounds a very appropriate use.

It came out closer to beef stock than to poultry stock. Frozen half of it. Using a quarter (with some cider) to make a stew with the remnants of wabbit meat and a lot of veg.

The smaller gears found the wabbit pie a bit too strong tasting, though the elder did eat his portion... all the more for the grown-ups!