Author Topic: Pongy Cheese...  (Read 2092 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Pongy Cheese...
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »
 :D indeed

MrsC and I went on a cheese making course on Saturday.
Nothing smelly (can't do that in one day) but we did come home with holoumi, mozzarella, marscapone and butter, all made by us. Nom nom.  :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2015, 08:50:25 pm »
OK, to the rant thread this goes. Did I tell the story of the Cheese Dalek? I think so, but it deserves retelling, if only as a salutary warning to the unwary.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:17:59 am »
I can fully recommend pong boxes of stinky goodness as Xmas presents. Used them for several years and they really do deliver. In every way.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:26:40 am »
I'm reminded of some cheese we bought in France - the taste was amazing, but so was the smell - so much so that we put it in a plastic bag and stowed it inside the exterior spare wheel on the back of the Discovery we were driving to get it home!

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:40:14 am »
We bought Stinking Bishop on a outing somewhen. We had to tie it to the outside of the car for the journey home. ;D

Mrs C's sister bought some when she had her dog (a spaniel) with her. The dog had his head out of the car window for the entire journey home.

A friend bought some and put it in her 'fridge. Her two Westies spent the night sleeping in the garden.

I'm hoping for a nice, big chunk of it for Christmas.  :)
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:40:30 am »
I'm reminded of some cheese we bought in France - the taste was amazing, but so was the smell - so much so that we put it in a plastic bag and stowed it inside the exterior spare wheel on the back of the Discovery we were driving to get it home!

Rob

I once gave a course in Normandy with a chap from Kiel who took a real fancy for Livarot.  Our hosts gave him a good ripe one to take home, by train.  Wrapped in three newspapers and shut in his briefcase it still stank out the carriage.  I went home by air, with a large fish in my suitcase.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:08:00 am »
:D indeed

Nothing smelly (can't do that in one day) but we did come home with holoumi, mozzarella, marscapone and butter, all made by us. Nom nom.  :thumbsup:
MrsN & I went on a cheese making course in March in Herefordshire. Fortunately it was very much about British cheeses and a tiny bit of modern British cheesemaking. It was pretty physical. Turning over maturing cheeses while our "brews" were working was a small part. We spent a lot of time washing hands & wiping the floor: not a H & S issue, but essential quality control in a small production operation. I learnt that cheddaring is a process. We did it, and thankfully, it didn't result in Cheddar cheese.

Our cheeses arrived a couple of months later, but needed a bit more time to mature. They're a bit furrin, compared with the English holoumi, mozzarella & marscapone. However they've provided a bit more insight into the world of Yorkshire Blue, Hereford hop, Single Gloucester, Double Worcester, Oxford Isis, Helford White, Coloured Cheshire, Staffordshire, blue Leicester(aka Stilton), Wensleydale, Dorset Blue Vinney, Red Windsor, Berkswell, Swaledale, and many more familiar cheeses, as well as the more complex local ones we've discovered on our wanderings on this island.

We'll be back for more of the same.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2015, 08:54:51 am »
MrsN & I went on a cheese making course in March in Herefordshire.

Verily thou art blessed!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2015, 03:14:19 pm »
I thought March was in Cambridgeshire, not Herefordshire.
IGMC...

ian

« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:30:58 pm »
One of my previous jobs was wining and dining eminent surgeons, for which we'd gust around London on a breeze of unlimited expenses, tumbling through all the top restaurants. Surgeons have the kind of ego that takes their id out the back for a sound thrashing. After several bottles of wine that didn't come with the words 'Bulgarian Country' on the label, we wash up well-fed on the fair shores of dessert. Cheese was one method of oneupmanship, a kind of gastronomic jousting. Bring me the most pungent specimens waiter, they'd order.

I remember once, one of them shoved an entire wedge of something so foetid that it was trembling into his mouth. I think he got the full works because two moments later his eyes started to move independently and he began to make a gak-gak noise like a stuck seagull. Rarely has distress been so funny. I took pictures and sent them to the surgeons' mortal enemies at The Royal College of Anaesthetists.

« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:47:24 pm »
I used to know a retired cheesemaker. Alll his friends called him 'Mouldy Old Joe'.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2015, 05:38:49 pm »
Years ago a bunch of us visited a St-Nectaire dairy in the Massif Centrale.  The cheese was excellent - not very pongful - but as we were trying different wee chunks of cheese in the shop the stink of the cowshed just through the open door was making me at least want to puke with every mouthful.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:55:20 pm »
I used to know a retired cheesemaker. Alll his friends called him 'Mouldy Old Joe'.

That dates you  :). Lieutenant Pigeon?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 04 December, 2015, 07:09:04 pm »

That dates you  :). Lieutenant Pigeon?

1973?