Author Topic: Following a track - have I made a breakthrough?  (Read 1136 times)

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
Following a track - have I made a breakthrough?
« on: 27 June, 2010, 10:57:28 pm »
Dear Panel, I need your help.

I rode the Cotswold Expedition last weekend, and downloaded the track to follow. As before, when I have done this, when I began to ride, the cursor on the screen of my Garmin Etrex Legend Cx did not move down the screen, I had to scroll down the screen to keep 'on traclk'.

I then did something unusual. I scrolled round to a different screen using the top right button, (from the map to a screen with my preferred data - distance to next, current speed, time of day, pointer, etc), and when I went back to the map screen, hey presto, the cursor now sat in the middle of the screen, as it should, and the road passed beneath my wheels.

So my question is, did I do something that I should have done on previous occasions? What did I do to get the machine working properly? I don't have a handy track to test on my local roads, not until next weekend. So should I do a quick scroll round the screens to get the machine 'set up'? Or was it a random event which will not repeat itself?

Anyone know?

Lycra Man

Re: Following a track - have I madea breakthrough?
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »
I've not tested this theory but I think if you inadvertently press the button on the face of the GPS it locks the map but scrolling through the screens with the top right button unlocks it again.

Re: Following a track - have I made a breakthrough?
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2010, 01:33:16 pm »
If you scroll manually using the joystick thingy, you have to press page/quit (top right) to get back to the normal auto-scroll. You use the same button to visit another page, which is what you did.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Following a track - have I made a breakthrough?
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »
Yes, if you're in map view and move the stick, the map freezes (your arrow contiunes to move, and may move off-screen).  The top slice of the screen also changes to display your current coordinates.   

'Page' gets you out of it no problem.

Many's the time I've nudged the stick in error, especially on buzzy roads or in bags...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.