Author Topic: Just had a thought  (Read 1026 times)

Just had a thought
« on: 02 January, 2012, 11:55:39 pm »
I use the old garmin edge 305 & it has been really good but it's started to have the odd blip now and then.

anyway the thought I had is this, am I supposed to set the altitude to zero before I start my ride or does it do it automatically,

I presume it does it automatically but just thought I'd ask :-[

due to the odd blip, I'm starting to look around at newer gps units, so be prepared for some dumb questions in the near future     ::-)

Re: Just had a thought
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2012, 04:28:15 pm »
anyway the thought I had is this, am I supposed to set the altitude to zero before I start my ride or does it do it automatically,
I presume it does it automatically but just thought I'd ask :-[

Been a while since I had an Edge 305 (it didn't survive dropping from handlebar height onto concrete very well  :( ), however IIRC it would gradually track towards the correct height when it was turned on.  (It varied by how much it was off by.)  The Edge 500 I replaced it with has a feature where you can define the height at locations, and if you start recording[1] at one of those locations it sets it's height to that value.  Can't remember if the Edge 305 had that feature?

[1] Annoyingly IMHO it only works at the moment of starting recording, rather than if you pass through the point whilst recording.