Author Topic: Stable firmware for Etrex 20?  (Read 1013 times)

Stable firmware for Etrex 20?
« on: 28 April, 2013, 08:07:37 am »
I started a thread a while ago on losing waypoints and routes on an Etrex 20 due to a firmware glitch.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=70084.0

As detailed there, I sorted it, but only by getting back to a PC to do some tinkering with Basecamp.

Could be a problem on the road.

As I said in that thread my firmware is rather old due to my wariness of Garmins update procedure, but the unit has just lost stuff again - though I managed to get it to see the stuff by switching it on and off a few times.

I understand that losing stuff like this is a "feature" of the aged firmware I'm using - I won't bother listing its number as it's so old/dates from the release of the unit about 18 months ago.

So, to the point, since I think you can update incrementally, which firmware version would folk recommend?

I don't want to go down the PC path of updates beyond what I need which introduce features of doubtful use at the cost of slowing everything down/introducing new bugs.

I can cope with the occasional freeze which just demands a switch/on and off (mine does that sometimes, no problem) it's just the total wobblies that I want to avoid.

Re: Stable firmware for Etrex 20?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2013, 06:11:35 pm »
:)

Well somewhat surprised that no replies - either the question was too daft or too clever/complicated.

Anyway, took the plunge, used webupdater as before, followed instructions, unhooked the Etrex20 from the PC, made sure it had a new set of rechargeables, powered it on and watched it update itself to some firmware version dating from earlier this month.

Nothing hung this time.

Now to see if it has any new features/bugs.

Generally very pleased with the thing.