Author Topic: Means of Transporting Upright Trike?  (Read 4809 times)

Annie

Means of Transporting Upright Trike?
« on: 28 September, 2011, 05:10:05 pm »
I'd like to drive to National Parks etc with my upright trike. To travel it in my car to get it home, I had to remove the front wheel, handlebars, one rear wheel and the saddle post! Any tips on the best means of travelling these contraptions? I use a rear bike rack for mine and my partners' standard bikes, but this, and even a roof bike rack don't seem suitable. I had previously thought a roof rack would be the way to go, but I see they use two bars across the roof and then a single track thing attached to the bar for each bike.

Suggestions guys?

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Means of Transporting Upright Trike?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2011, 05:18:22 pm »
Have a look at my contribution/pics here

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51264.0

hth

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2011, 05:23:04 pm »
With a small car or estate with a lowish roof I slide the trike in on its side.  The front wheel flops over so the total length is much shorter than trying to fit a bike.

Alternatively you can use low level axle stands, like those for a car or make your own with bits of wood.  It only needs to be high enough to let the rear mech clear the floor.  Then remove all three wheels and the trike goes in upright.  This makes quite a short package.  The axle has to be tied to the stands to stop it falling off.

I have a Honda Jazz and method 1 is fine and I've used method 2 to put two trikes in there.  I could even get three if needed.

Ideally I'd have a small van, like the Ford Courier which I've had in the past, because the trike goes in easily upright with the front wheel turned to one side.

A standard two bar roof rack as you have described works fine without the bike track.  Just need three toe straps to hold the wheels down.

You might even get it on a tow hitch mounted carrier.  I've never tried that as I prefer my machines inside the car/van.

Annie

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »
Great suggestions. Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2011, 07:35:31 pm »

You might even get it on a tow hitch mounted carrier.  I've never tried that as I prefer my machines inside the car/van.

Hmmm,I've not tried that.I'll maybe have a play tomorrow.If it looks sensible I'll post some pics.

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »
My friends in France have in the past transported two recumbent trikes on a 4-bike tow bar mounted rack, head to toe, so to speak. I'd imagine a three-bike rack would hold an upright trike fine - the potential problem would be whether the gap between the inner and outermost 'trays' fitted the width of the rear wheels. But I'm sure it could be easily adapted by someone with a bit of nouse - they had to adapt one tray so as to accommodate my rather wide old Trice.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2011, 11:09:37 pm »
I have a Honda Jazz and method 1 is fine and I've used method 2 to put two trikes in there.  I could even get three if needed.
:o :o I had my first-ever ride in a Honda Jazz at the weekend. Three trikes? :o :o

I've carried one fully-assembled (upright) trike laid on its side in a Mondeo. I've also carried the same trike on the back of the Mondeo, using a towbar-mounted rack intended for four bikes.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »
Regarding towbar mounted racks. I've got one that has a plate fitted under the towball that you slot the bike carrying bit into. It sticks up in a "V" shape and has two arms that stick out to the rear near the top. I reckon it would be feasible to just hang the trike by it's rear axles with the nose pointing down or, in the case of a recumbent, hang it by the axle beam with it's arse dragging. If I can get to the stuff I'll give it a try today or tomorrow and post any ideas.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »

Hmmm,I've not tried that.I'll maybe have a play tomorrow.If it looks sensible I'll post some pics.

here are the pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67610004@N03/sets/72157627823334794/

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:07:49 pm »
My towbar-mounted rack is similar to, but not quite the same as, Jogler's. Therefore the trike drops on quite happily in the same way, occupying the space that about three bikes would need.

« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2011, 07:57:55 pm »