Author Topic: Aurora  (Read 6678 times)

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
Aurora
« on: 11 April, 2009, 08:36:49 pm »
A broken chain made me cut my weekend trip short, but I did see this from my tent...

By far the most spectacular aurora I have seen, and it easily made up for the change of plans.

Movie here

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Aurora
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2009, 08:55:29 pm »
Beautiful  :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2009, 10:43:59 pm »
*jawdrop*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2009, 10:46:56 pm »
This is high on my list of *stuff I must do, before I expire*.

Big time.

Much impressed (and envious)

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2009, 10:52:10 pm »
Hammer of the gods!

Valkyrie!

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »
I saw it as a teenager from my parents' house.  Not as vibrant a green as that though.  One of the benefits of living in a tiny village in Scotland with no street lighting, and right on the coast so little in the way of light pollution to the west.  :)

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2009, 12:43:23 am »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

jealous

It's on my list of things I want to see.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2009, 07:10:24 am »
Hammer of the gods!

Valkyrie!

Bloody Tom Cruise.  When I used to google that word, I got large-breasted women in winged helmets.  Now I get a pint-sized fruit loop pretending to be a renegade Nazi.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2009, 08:07:20 am »
It is possible to see it down south.  About 20 years ago I was driving back from Bristol to Reading along the M4 late at night and saw 3 or 4 shimmering green curtains, which were quite fantastic to watch.  I think there'd been a lot of solar activity which had pushed the aurora southwards.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2009, 08:17:25 am »
Are you sure it wasn't light spill from the under-car neons of Swindon?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2009, 08:49:23 am »
No, I'd gone past that hell hole.  For a few micro-seconds I did wonder if something bad had happened to the nuclear bombs stored at RAF Welford8)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2009, 09:11:40 am »
Lovely photos.

I saw them a few years ago from just north of Glasgow. They built up from streamers, then horizon to horizon then to a brilliant red rose swirl above me. I phoned my parents, who couldn't see them until they looked south. They were visible in the south of England that night.

Utterly breathtaking.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

LinzWakeley

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2009, 01:23:24 pm »
Amazing.  I didn't realise you could still see the Aurora in Iceland this time of year.  You are so lucky to have such a beautiful phenonenon and such a rugidly beautiful country :)

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2009, 01:50:19 pm »
I've seen it twice in real life - the first time, just after we moved to Norfolk (nice dark skies). Amazing experience - red and green streamers from the Northern horizon, almost all the way to the zenith at the peak.

Second time I saw it was a on an Air New Zealand flight from LA to Heathrow. Soon after dinner, the captain comes on the overhead and says "Folks, we've been watching this for the last half hour - and thought we'd share it. We'll get the girls [sic] to turn off the lights, and those of you on the left hand side of the aircraft - take a look at the sky. We're over Greenland at the moment by the way...".

Luckily I was on the left side of the plane. What a stunning view! Mostly green (like your photos) but also some red - but two things stood out - firstly, the snow on the ground was also green in reflection, and secondly, you could see the focal point of the display over the North Pole. Incredible.

Anyway, after about ten minutes (and presumably a call to ATC to OK it), we turned round for a few minutes so those on the other side of the plane could get a look too.

« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2009, 10:09:54 am »

It seems, Percy, what you've captured there is a rather large splat of green.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #15 on: 24 April, 2009, 02:23:36 am »
seeing as so many forumers wanna see it. Anyone wanna do a group trip?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:02:24 pm »
A display of northern lights coincided with a short stop in Berlevåg last night.  So at least there was hardly any wave motion to contend with - just the small matter of a dirty great slow-revving diesel engine thumping away.  Anyway, excuses over,

Northern lights above Berlevåg by billplumtree, on Flickr

Northern lights above Berlevåg, from MS Lofoten by billplumtree, on Flickr

Northern lights, MS Lofoten by billplumtree, on Flickr

I also managed this effort at one point:

Northern lights and seagulls... by billplumtree, on Flickr

Took me a while to work out what the light streaks are:  seagulls, flying through a 4 second exposure.  I might pretend it was deliberate and it's art.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:09:14 pm »
... as Billplumtree plumbs ever deeper in the well of Git.
Milk please, no sugar.

billplumtree

« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:31:20 pm »
Sigged!

« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:43:52 pm »
Oh my!  Those shots are astounding.  I'm just off to check flights.  Be right back.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 04 February, 2016, 08:34:58 am »
What Ruthie said.  With knobs on.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2016, 10:47:28 am »
Dear Mr (I'm not going to call you a git again) Plumtree, are you handholding these, tripod, or devious abuse of a gorillapod attached to a part of the ship?

My boss tried the same on her trip a few years ago, but the water was a bit wobbly, so her pics were as well.
Wombat

billplumtree

« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2016, 04:18:36 pm »
Yeah, wobbly water is a bit of a problem on a boat.  These ones were on a tripod, exposures from 1s to 4s.  We were in port for a short stop, too short to get off - but at least the water wasn't too wobbly in port.  Others I've taken out at sea aren't worth posting.  The 4s exposures still suffered though - in the second pic, the handrail on the boat is sharp, but the rest of the world was moving relative to the boat and isn't.  I'm still hoping that a light display will coincide with a stop in port somewhere, so that I can take some pics from terra firma. 

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #23 on: 23 August, 2016, 03:57:50 pm »
My colleagues all seem to be getting Aurora alerts as we sit looking out at the Haar.
Seems to be quite a severe one with views possible quite far south
Nautical sunset here is around 22;00 with moonrise about 22:40
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 23 August, 2016, 05:22:47 pm »
My colleagues all seem to be getting Aurora alerts as we sit looking out at the Haar.
Seems to be quite a severe one with views possible quite far south
Nautical sunset here is around 22;00 with moonrise about 22:40

It's a false alarm. http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/aurorawatchuk/2016/08/23/red-alert-cancelled/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.