Author Topic: I'm drinking out of date beer here.  (Read 1809 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I'm drinking out of date beer here.
« on: 28 May, 2019, 09:37:40 pm »
I'll leave the door unlocked in case there's no sign of me in the morning.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: I'm drinking out of date beer here.
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2019, 10:29:14 pm »
A former landlord of my local used to lay up a few bottles of Suffolk Strong for us, and we’d drink that only when it was at least a year past it’s sell by date. It was invariably fantastic, and very very strong.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:55:16 pm »
Sadly, Thomas Hardy ale is no longer brewed, but the advice on the bottle was to keep it at least 5 years. Being food, the brewers were eventually forced to publish a "best before" date, but I recall the brewer (or at least, someone senior in the company) being interviewed on radio 4 and he stated that he thought it was best to leave it for at least 10 years.

Which reminds me - I think I have some Waitrose bottle-conditioned Christmas ale in one of the cupboards. I wonder how old that is now?

Edit: the answer is - only a year! 2018 "Vintage" ale. Best before: 2028! Unless I've got a few other bottles lurking somewhere.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2019, 12:22:43 am »
So far, so good.  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2019, 05:45:47 am »
I brewed a clone of that Thomas Hardy ale for Christmas 2017, and took the last three bottles down to my sisters for last Christmas. it had matured perfectly.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2019, 07:39:58 am »
There are strong ciders that go on fermenting in the barrel after they've been delivered to the pub.  If the barrel sits around for a couple of weeks, the stuff coming out is wine-strength.  The pubs usually only serve it in halves.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2019, 08:32:35 am »
I think Thomas Hardy's Ale is still being contract brewed for an Italian (?) firm, but despite my efforts I've not been able to find out how to actually exchange specie in exchange for s bottle. I've still got a bottle of 2007 at the back of the stash, which I really should try sometime.

Fuller's head brewer has stated before that the best before dates on Golden Pride are fictional (IIRC it's five years after brewing), and that he reckons it's nicely matured a year or two after that date. With the takeover I do hope they carry on making the various vintage ales, though again I've got a decade's worth of them in the stash...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2019, 08:36:01 am »
I made it. With some wind.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2019, 09:14:30 am »
Phew.

Glad to hear that it was only the beer that had expired.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ian

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2019, 09:21:20 am »
Most dark, strong beers are fine left to age. The taste profile may change. It's the just the hoppy stuff. Off-hops are just mostly flat and unpleasant tasting. Best to drink those as fresh as possible.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2019, 09:30:48 am »
I think Thomas Hardy's Ale is still being contract brewed for an Italian (?) firm, but despite my efforts I've not been able to find out how to actually exchange specie in exchange for s bottle. I've still got a bottle of 2007 at the back of the stash, which I really should try sometime.

Fuller's head brewer has stated before that the best before dates on Golden Pride are fictional (IIRC it's five years after brewing), and that he reckons it's nicely matured a year or two after that date. With the takeover I do hope they carry on making the various vintage ales, though again I've got a decade's worth of them in the stash...

My '14 and '17 are not in danger of being drunk any time soon.  If you stop into the Fullers pub at Kings Cross you'll see the prices they are selling them for now.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:11:05 am »
Thomas Hardy's Ale is available from here: https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/Thomas-Hardy's-Ale-Golden-Edition-50th-Anniversary-(33cl-bottle)-2018/3635618 I bought a couple of bottles before Christmas and managed to ward off temptation.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2019, 12:11:36 pm »
Thomas Hardy's Ale is available from here: https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/Thomas-Hardy's-Ale-Golden-Edition-50th-Anniversary-(33cl-bottle)-2018/3635618 I bought a couple of bottles before Christmas and managed to ward off temptation.

Ooh, that was out of stock last time I checked - think I might pick up a couple of bottles.

My '14 and '17 are not in danger of being drunk any time soon.  If you stop into the Fullers pub at Kings Cross you'll see the prices they are selling them for now.

Yeah, I've got a couple of bottles that are supposedly worth north of £100 each, but I'm not sure anyone actually pays those kinds of amounts, and anyhow I'd prefer to save them for a special occasion.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2019, 08:16:53 pm »
Bloody hell! £7.99 delivery for 4 bottles? That makes it over £20 a pint!  :o
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.