Author Topic: Bob Jackson Vigorelli - Paint  (Read 8102 times)

dat

Re: Bob Jackson Vigorelli - Paint
« Reply #50 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:32:00 am »
IMV short ramps presupposes that you are going to spend most of your time on the hoods. This in turn is driven by the tyranny of STI/ergos.  As soon as you liberate yourself from that (eg by having different shifters or indeed no shifters) then you can have the handlebars you really want instead of the handlebars that the shifters force you to have.

cheers
I agree, 90% of the time I have downtube shifters. The late shimano brake levers are some of the best made.

I'm not disputing that, am very happy with the Shimano brake levers Brucey recommended I put on my tourer (which currently has Dura Ace 7700 bar end shifters, which work very well), but I find this arrangement less ideal for club rides, when riding in a close, fast group - makes me a bit nervous not to be on or near there hoods then, which is one of the reasons I'm intending to put Campagnolo Veloce Ergos (the old style ones) on my Strada.
I understand completely. My comment wasn't an attack on your choice, more agreeing with Brucey.

« Reply #51 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:36:47 am »
I'm wondering how we didn't just collide with one another all the time before STIs came out.... just lucky I guess.... ;)

cheers

« Reply #52 on: 13 December, 2018, 09:30:36 am »
BTW one of the reasons I like the old style Campagnolo Ergos is that they're not massively huge and long, like  modern Shimano STI shifters, they're not much larger than plain brake levers, so you don't need ultra short compact bars.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

dat

« Reply #53 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:29:45 am »
BTW one of the reasons I like the old style Campagnolo Ergos is that they're not massively huge and long, like  modern Shimano STI shifters, they're not much larger than plain brake levers, so you don't need ultra short compact bars.
Someone I ride with has ordered a shorter stem for his "fast" bike because of the difference in length between older and newer campag ergos. Saying that his original ergos must of lasted at least 20,000miles.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #54 on: 13 December, 2018, 02:06:42 pm »
You rarely see the pros on the drops now.  They might as well use bullhorns.  I think this is for two related reasons: they grew up with STI, and the fashion for slamming the stem right down on the headset top cap means they can't comfortably ride on the drops anyway.

I like a drop to the bars of between 2" and 4", and I use them if I'm riding at any sort of speed or if there's a headwind.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

dat

« Reply #55 on: 13 December, 2018, 02:10:55 pm »
I use the drops when going fast, I find it more stable. I like some bar to saddle drop as seen in the picture but nothing extreme.

« Reply #56 on: 13 December, 2018, 05:59:49 pm »
I like using the drops for fast bursts on the flat, going aero downhill, headwinds, and sometimes just for a change of position - I have long term chronic back pain (cycling didn't cause it) and staying in one position for too long makes it worse, so swapping back and forth from the drops to the hoods or ramps quite often helps. I don't like to slam the stem right down either, but do want some drop to the top of the bars.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway