Author Topic: Bob Jackson Vigorelli - Paint  (Read 8179 times)

Re: Bob Jackson Vigorelli - Paint
« Reply #25 on: 10 November, 2018, 10:41:35 am »
I think it is either going to be

Metallic blue, white decals, white lug lining.

Metallic dark purple, white decals, no lug lining.

Metallic dark purple, white decals, white lug lining, white barber pole, white head tube.

Purple, with white Barber's Pole did you say?

[click to expand]

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 10 November, 2018, 01:26:45 pm »
White bar tape.  Brave.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 10 November, 2018, 02:35:51 pm »
White bar tape.  Brave.

Looks like it's photographed in Britain too... Although I suspect that's a "good weather-only" bike...

For my turquoise Strada I was thinking white cable outers (which you can at least wipe easily), but probably black bar tape and saddle, though brown or honey might look better.

rogerzilla

« Reply #28 on: 10 November, 2018, 04:32:47 pm »
Who makes decent amberwall tyres now?

« Reply #29 on: 10 November, 2018, 04:47:20 pm »

« Reply #30 on: 10 November, 2018, 05:35:05 pm »
Who makes decent amberwall tyres now?

Am going to try Veloflex on my Strada, they do their "Master" open clincher in 25mm and even 28mm these days:

http://www.veloflex.it/en/open-tubulars/open-tubular-master28 

I'm not going to be commuting on my Strada or using it in winter, though.

rogerzilla

« Reply #31 on: 10 November, 2018, 05:47:35 pm »
25mm won't fit on my Ron Cooper road bike or Harry Quinn track bike (at least not with 47 x 18).  Too close to the seat tube.

« Reply #32 on: 10 November, 2018, 05:53:16 pm »
25mm won't fit on my Ron Cooper road bike or Harry Quinn track bike (at least not with 47 x 18).  Too close to the seat tube.

Veloflex might? They come up pretty small, unlike most 25mm. Either bang on or under, depending on the rim. Although I don't know quite how tight things are for your frame.

dat

« Reply #33 on: 11 November, 2018, 11:30:09 am »
It's going to be...

Viola metallic paint, one white downtube decal (Bob Jackson), headtube crest, no lug lining, tubing transfers or the made in UK flag.
Inspiration from this.

rogerzilla

« Reply #34 on: 11 November, 2018, 12:02:55 pm »
The new-style Reynolds transfers are ridiculously large.  I wouldn't want one either.

« Reply #35 on: 11 November, 2018, 12:38:13 pm »
Sparkly purple - excellent choice. :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 11 November, 2018, 05:07:07 pm »
The new-style Reynolds transfers are ridiculously large.  I wouldn't want one either.

For my Mercian Strada frame, which is quite small (53cm c-t) I was thinking of putting it on the top of the downtube, behind the chainset, as am thinking of a panel and dual bands on the seatube and will be pretty cramped otherwise and would stand out more on a smaller frame than a larger one/

I'd like the transfer somewhere, as the frame is going to be in posh Reynolds 853 Pro Team tubing, but this would be a bit more discrete - in fact this is exactly where the Reynolds 725 sticker was put on my Hewitt Cheviot. On some bikes I've also seen it place on the downtube above the gear cable mounts/bosses, which is another option. In noticed that Ellis Briggs seem to put the transfer on the front of the seat tube, but below the front derailleur.

I haven't decided 100% where to put it though. I will probably also put the (much smaller) Reynolds transfers on the top of the forks still.

dat

« Reply #37 on: 12 December, 2018, 04:32:45 pm »
Turned out quite well. Plan on doing my first SR this season on it.

« Reply #38 on: 12 December, 2018, 05:58:20 pm »
Turned out quite well. Plan on doing my first SR this season on it.

Looking good! Out of interest, which handlebars did you put on that? Is that a Nitto Pearl stem? I which case I assume the bars are for 26mm clamp?

dat

« Reply #39 on: 12 December, 2018, 06:48:10 pm »
Nitto Pearl stem from planet x (25.4mm) with compass parallel handlebars.

rogerzilla

« Reply #40 on: 12 December, 2018, 08:52:52 pm »
Have you tried Nitto Grand Randonneurs?  Also 25.4 and quite different to other dropped bars.  I like them and have them on three bikes!

dat

« Reply #41 on: 12 December, 2018, 09:24:16 pm »
Yes, I prefer compass randonneur bars though. The upsweep cups the hand better. I picked these as a change, they seem to work but I think I prefer the compass randonneurs.

« Reply #42 on: 12 December, 2018, 09:32:55 pm »
Nitto Pearl stem from planet x (25.4mm) with compass parallel handlebars.

Thanks, still trying to decide what bars to put on my Mercian Strada road bike when they eventually make it... Will be using Campagnolo Veloce shifters (2006 vintage), so was half-thinking of Nitto M190 Euro 80 bar, though not sure if I'd love or hate the ergo shape: https://alexscycle.com/products/nitto-m190-euro-81

What's the drop and reach on the Compass Parallel bars?

« Reply #44 on: 12 December, 2018, 09:45:06 pm »
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/handlebars/maes-parallel-254-handlebars/

So 115mm reach, 125mm drop

That seems a very long reach, aren't most non-compact bars about 85mm or so? I think the frame sizing I have assumes around a 90mm stem and 85mm reach on the bars, so with those bars I'd likely need something like a 60mm stem, which seems very short... They do look very nice, though...

dat

« Reply #45 on: 12 December, 2018, 09:52:27 pm »
I like long ramps on drop bars so most modern shapes don't work for me. The idea with the parallel bars is that you don't stay on the hoods, you use the ramps quite a bit. I'd say go for a spin on mine but I doubt you're in the south west.

« Reply #46 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:34:15 am »
Long ramps make sense for long distance riding (my tourer is setup a bit like this, though the bend and drop is different), perhaps less so for fast, close, group riding, where you're more likely to be on or near the hoods a lot of the time. I intend to use my Strada for club rides, so perhaps shorter ramps would be better for that.

« Reply #47 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:55:38 am »
IMV short ramps presupposes that you are going to spend most of your time on the hoods. This in turn is driven by the tyranny of STI/ergos.  As soon as you liberate yourself from that (eg by having different shifters or indeed no shifters) then you can have the handlebars you really want instead of the handlebars that the shifters force you to have.

cheers

dat

« Reply #48 on: 13 December, 2018, 07:09:34 am »
IMV short ramps presupposes that you are going to spend most of your time on the hoods. This in turn is driven by the tyranny of STI/ergos.  As soon as you liberate yourself from that (eg by having different shifters or indeed no shifters) then you can have the handlebars you really want instead of the handlebars that the shifters force you to have.

cheers
I agree, 90% of the time I have downtube shifters. The late shimano brake levers are some of the best made.

« Reply #49 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:26:15 am »

cheers
I agree, 90% of the time I have downtube shifters. The late shimano brake levers are some of the best made.

I'm not disputing that, am very happy with the Shimano brake levers Brucey recommended I put on my tourer (which currently has Dura Ace 7700 bar end shifters, which work very well), but I find this arrangement less ideal for club rides, when riding in a close, fast group - makes me a bit nervous not to be on or near there hoods then, which is one of the reasons I'm intending to put Campagnolo Veloce Ergos (the old style ones) on my Strada.