Author Topic: Etrex upload problem  (Read 1305 times)

Etrex upload problem
« on: 13 March, 2016, 07:21:10 pm »
Previously after a ride i plugged my Etrex Legend into my laptop and uploaded the details from the day's ride on Bikehike/RWGPS or Garmin connect without any problems at all, trying it today has problems though, i think/hope Bikehike is down, RWGPS does not recognise my device and i get an unable to parse directory message?? and Garmin Connect has gone to s**t and states the my device is no longer supported and wants me to install express and also asks  me to use Garmin map updater?? any idea what's gone wrong??
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
Re: Etrex upload problem
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2016, 08:07:28 am »
I'm not sure what method of uploading you were using - straight from the device or 'manual'.  If it's the former, then it shouldn't be a problem going manual which is what I always do in Garmin Connect and RWGPS.  Plug in the Etrex, switch to PC mode on the device, then open up RWGPS/Garmin Connect and go to the 'files on your computer' section and click through from there, you'll be able to navigate to the etrex and find the relevant file (it will be dated) when prompted.  In Garmin Connect, there's a tab on the new upload page called 'manual upload' and just click through as above. 

My apologies if you're already doing all that and it's not recognising it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:59:02 am »
What model of Etrex Legend? Is it a serial or USB connection, and does it have a memory card?

For uploading directly to websites, presumably you are using the Garmin Communicator plugin? This plugin is no longer supported, and may not work in newer browsers.
For uploading to Garmin Connect, you are supposed to use the Garmin Express software instead. But not sure if that works with older Garmin devices.

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2016, 01:29:21 pm »
What model of Etrex Legend? Is it a serial or USB connection, and does it have a memory card?

For uploading directly to websites, presumably you are using the Garmin Communicator plugin? This plugin is no longer supported, and may not work in newer browsers.
For uploading to Garmin Connect, you are supposed to use the Garmin Express software instead. But not sure if that works with older Garmin devices.

Etrex Legend HCX with a card that has OSM on it. Would normally transfer via USB to Garmin Connect but as you say it no longer supports older devices despite me already having the plugin, it also wants me to download the map updater? I know they've updated their website but it doesn't explain the problems with RWGPS
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:57:56 am »
If you've been recording your rides on the SD card (as well as the internal memory) then Setup - Interface - USB Mass Storage  will enable you to access them as if from any other external drive.
IIRC that enables you to put them in RWGPS - no idea about Garmin Connect though, as you say it doesnt play nice with HCx generation units.