Author Topic: What Happens To All The Skewers?  (Read 3543 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: What Happens To All The Skewers?
« Reply #25 on: 14 December, 2018, 02:51:39 pm »
I don't know about St Jude but St Anthony is generally held to be patron saint of lost objects. Also of Portugal.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26 on: 14 December, 2018, 03:20:53 pm »
Anyone seen Portugal lately?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27 on: 14 December, 2018, 03:42:09 pm »
No. I think Ronaldo must have dropped it somewhere.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 14 December, 2018, 09:14:48 pm »
The vintage ones, like Campag straight-lever Vincenza QRs, come up on fleaBay separately from the hubs (as a rule, splitting bike stuff down always gets more money, and usually more potential buyers).  As for the bog-standard Shimano types...no idea.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 15 December, 2018, 07:53:19 am »
To return (momentarily, I hope) to more serious things, I seem to have a surfeit of rear-wheel skewers in the workshop, and only just enough front skewers for the wheels I have - in fact, IIRC, I have one less than that and have to rob another wheel when I switch over.

« Reply #30 on: 15 December, 2018, 09:44:37 am »
The simple answer is people keep them because they are useful and worth something even if they have no use for the wheels they are selling.

Or they sell them later on.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 15 December, 2018, 11:44:42 am »
To return (momentarily, I hope) to more serious things, I seem to have a surfeit of rear-wheel skewers in the workshop, and only just enough front skewers for the wheels I have - in fact, IIRC, I have one less than that and have to rob another wheel when I switch over.
Have you recently got rid of a trike?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 15 December, 2018, 12:26:58 pm »
I'm sure you could fashion attractive spacers to allow the "rear" skewers to hold the front wheels on.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #33 on: 15 December, 2018, 01:13:11 pm »
The cruzbike front end requires an extra long skewer rather than normal rear wheel. Because the stock skewer doesn't fit the turbo trainer i needed an extra, extra long, only fits that duty, so there's at least two spare
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #34 on: 15 December, 2018, 01:18:50 pm »
It seems a lot of hubs/wheels don't include skewers as standard nowadays. Yes, Shimano usually do, but a lot of the fancier brands don't.
eg Hope hubs usually don't include skewers. Hope skewers are probably a bit crap anyway, even if they look shiny...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #35 on: 15 December, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »
Have you recently got rid of a trike?

Not that I noticed.

I'm sure you could fashion attractive spacers to allow the "rear" skewers to hold the front wheels on.

Chum did something like that to mount a front-heavy light that would normally have gone on the bars. After about 10k it was pointing at the road about a metre in front of the bike.