Author Topic: Pop quiz  (Read 175371 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Pop quiz
« Reply #1875 on: 27 April, 2012, 10:57:56 am »
To keep this moving along, the answer to mine:

Paul Hornby - originally in Quireboys and formed Dogs D'Amour
Ginger (Mike Walls) - in the Quireboys, but was fired and formed The Wildhearts before going solo.
Chris McCormack (of 3CR) is the younger brother of Danny McCormack, ex-bass player of The Wildhearts

I could have added DiamondHead or Skyclad into the mix, but that would have made it a bit easier.....

The link I was after though, is that they all have links to the North East, in particular Sunderland and North Shields.

The bonus question answer is that whilst that album was being recorded there was a movement in North Yorkshire, especially along the route of the A19, to prevent the placing of electricity pylons.  This movement was called REVOLT (http://www.revolt.co.uk/), hence the name and the album cover.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1876 on: 09 May, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »
Quick one to keep it going.

What band was comprised alternatively of Mel, Percy, Hari and Roy?

or, alernatively, Winston, Apollo, L'Angelo Mysterioso and Ognir?

As an extra bonus, what were the surnames of Johnny, Paul, Carl and Stu?  And what was the band called then?

Clue 1 (already): Percy is not, in this case, Mr Plant.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1877 on: 09 May, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »
Is it the Banana Splits?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1878 on: 09 May, 2012, 05:07:34 pm »
;D No, it isn't.  But I think they would have been amused by the comaprison.
Getting there...

« Reply #1879 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »
The Beatles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1880 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:41:40 pm »
Yes, indeed! :D

Pseudonyms of the various Beatles:

Mel Torment and Dr Winston O'Boogie are among the very many of John Lennon

Percy Thrillington and Apollo C Vermouth (the latter famously with the Bonzos) were Paul McCartney

Hari Georgeson and L'Angelo Mysterioso (on Cream's Badge) were George Harrison

Roy (whoops, I've forgotten the surname :-[ ) Dyke and Ognir Rats were Ringo Starr.

Fancy a punt at the last part? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1881 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:44:45 pm »
Imagine (!) it's either The Quarrymen or The Silver Beatles and I'd plump for the former.  Johnny and Paul as expected, Stu Sutcliffe but I don't know Carl sans google.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1882 on: 09 May, 2012, 10:07:17 pm »
Wrong, I'm afraid.  It was The Silver Beatles on tour in Scotland supporting Johnny Gentle.  The surnames are interesting because they were not as expected.  The line up was: Johnny Silver*, Paul Ramon, Carl Harrison & Stu de Stael.  Drummer Thomas Moore was borrowed from another band, I think, so didn't use a pseudonym.

* This is disputed, apparently.  George gives this version; John denied he had used a stage name; Paul says he was 'Long John'.  I have a natural bias towards believing George.
Getting there...

« Reply #1883 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:15:12 am »
Yeah - lots of girls believed him, too!

« Reply #1884 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:32:59 am »
Here's one that's mostly Pop (or rock, at least) and a bit classical, though the classical is very popular!

What connects a blues guitarist, a sax-playing painter and a Viennese composer?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1885 on: 10 May, 2012, 11:07:46 am »
Have we got Howlin' Wolf and Wolfgang in there/
Getting there...

« Reply #1886 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
No, but they would make a good pairing!

A completely strange clue which just occurred to me:-

The last letter of the connection, the blues guitarisr, the sax player-artist BOTH stage name and real name AND the composer is the same and is T.  This really spooked me when it occurred to me!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1887 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »
Well, that points me back towards Mozart, I think.  And, while I could name a hundred blues musicians, the only guitarists I can think of with an ending in T are RoberT Johnson Mississippi John HurT, or RoberT Cray.

No idea on sax playing artist. :(
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1888 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:53:49 pm »
As soon as I posted that, it actually came to me.

Not Mozart, but SchuberT.  Trout Quintet(n?), in fact.

Walter TrouT was a guitarist with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and (I think) Canned Heat.

Trout Mask Replica is an album by Captain BeefhearT and his band.  The Captain is, in fact, Don Van VlieT.

Phew!

Getting there...

« Reply #1889 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:00:37 pm »
Spot on!   It's spooky isn't it?  Even Quintet ends in T!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1890 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:09:02 pm »
Just Googled to check all that, and it turns out that Van Vliet wasn't Beefheart's original name!  He was Don Glen Vliet, which still ends in a T, as does Canned HeaT. ;D

Right.  I shall have a think now.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1891 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:20:04 pm »
Also Wolf was a singer; Hubert Sumlin was his guitar player.  They hated each other and frequently got into punch-ups in the studio.  Sumlin once knocked out a couple of Wolf's teeth, which makes it a wonder he lived as long as he did.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1892 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »
I realised that, but I was grasping at straws.  Wolf did play guitar, just (according to legend) not very well, even though he was taught by Charlie Patton.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1893 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:27:09 pm »
OK then.

What civil engagement brings us  Strange Brotherhood, Nobody's Fool, Truth And Lies?
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1894 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:42:09 pm »
This is turning into a music version of Round Britain Quiz.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1895 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »
Up to a point. But it's fun when you crack it!  This one's not that difficult.  One part is a tad obscure, but can be easily guessed if you get the other two, which are much more...well, I was going to say 'mainstream'.  Neither is that, but they are at least pretty well known.
Getting there...

« Reply #1896 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
OK then.

What civil engagement brings us  Strange Brotherhood, Nobody's Fool, Truth And Lies?

Clarion, I'm not positive, but I think you may mean civil war engagement?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1897 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
I was hoping to throw some people off on the subject of gay marriage, but you've seen through it.  The civil engagement was in fact the Civil War, and the elements are connected by that.
Getting there...

« Reply #1898 on: 11 May, 2012, 12:28:54 am »
I think I've got two elements, but I'm struggling with Nobody's Fool, unless it's some Cromwellian statement, or something.  I know the New Model Army was influenced by Leveller sentiments but now I'm stuck!  Maybe this will jog someone else's cells.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1899 on: 11 May, 2012, 10:36:34 am »
OK, to help you with that a bit.  The three phrases (titles) themselves aren't the Civil War link.....................
Getting there...