Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 120401 times)

Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #175 on: 05 August, 2016, 11:54:02 pm »
What I think she's talking about is Guinness's rules for the record when *they're* the certifying body. I've been told (multiple sources) that Guinness will also accept any UMCA certified yearly mileage record using UMCA rules and that no distinction would be made between records set under Guinness or the UMCA. Strange? yes, but that's Guinness for you...

I'm sure what you are saying is not wrong for those entering under UMCA rules and Amanda will have Kurts Guinness record if she exceeds his total, but it's more confusing than that.

Kajsa has been in direct contact with Guinness as she explains in her video - she has been explicitly told she will have a Guinness record (if she exceeds Billie Flemings total)

Only those entering under Guinness rules (which do not allow drafting during the attempt or the use of a recumbent etc) will be able to challenge her record in the future.

There will effectively be two Guinness Annual Mileage Records.

As you say Strange? yes, but that's Guinness for you - I think a lot of people following these record attempts on here, including myself would agree with you.

« Reply #176 on: 06 August, 2016, 12:26:16 am »

Only those entering under Guinness rules (which do not allow drafting during the attempt or the use of a recumbent etc) will be able to challenge her record in the future.

There will effectively be two Guinness Annual Mileage Records.

I wonder if Kajsa or anyone else has this in writing? And if that's the case, I wonder what Guinness's rationale is for giving Kurt the record over Tommy (under obviously different rules) but then splitting the woman's record into two separate records?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #177 on: 06 August, 2016, 08:09:28 am »
That fact that Kajsa will finish several months before Amanda means that, assuming she breaks Billie Dovey's record, she will indeed hold the record. Assuming Amanda finishes hers an first place, then that is up to Guinness how the treat the records, but for most world records do they not have a chart showing all the record holders in chronological order? It's years since I looked at the GBOR.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #178 on: 06 August, 2016, 09:41:23 am »
Quote from: wajcgac
There will effectively be two Guinness Annual Mileage Records

As you say Strange? yes, but that's Guinness for you - I think a lot of people following these record attempts on here, including myself would agree with you.
Just to be contrary I don't think it strange at all. 2 unfit blokes riding knobbly tyred gas pipe MTBs a mile home from the pub can feel the benefit of drafting. To me it is eminently sensible to have a drafted and undrafted record. The process by which we seem to be ending up with that was a mess and reflected very badly on Guinness but if the promises are kept the result is the right one IMO.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #179 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:35:17 pm »
No updates on here for a while so I've looked at her spreadsheet...
23,000 miles after 101 days. That's a 228 mile daily average. Nearly 15k over the women's current record and 2k over the men's one.

This is awesome.
It is simpler than it looks.

Phil W

« Reply #180 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:40:38 pm »
According to FB passed Billie Fleming's record today.

« Reply #181 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »
According to FB passed Billie Fleming's record today.

That's counting her training miles between Jan 1st and her start day in May. Miles that don't count towards the official record. If she stays near her current pace she should break it officially right about this same time next month.

« Reply #182 on: 31 August, 2016, 09:53:08 am »
Amanda Coker - Day 108: Amanda cranked out a 406km (252mile) ride in 12hr 49min yesterday - most likely banking some extra miles ahead of the arrival of "Hurricane Gaston", according to some speculation in the Strava comments.

https://www.strava.com/activities/695029802

« Reply #183 on: 31 August, 2016, 12:29:30 pm »
absolutely extraordinary! amazing. astounding. incroyable!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #184 on: 31 August, 2016, 05:17:59 pm »
Yes indeed.  I did a 400k perm in a day this year, with the ride to the start control and back it was 277 miles.  It took me 21 hours.  i didn't ride the next day
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #185 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:32:38 pm »
most likely banking some extra miles ahead of the arrival of "Hurricane Gaston", according to some speculation in the Strava comments.
Gaston is heading for the Azores, and never got near heading for Florida.
It's most likely that it was for Tropical Storm Hermine

« Reply #186 on: 01 September, 2016, 06:51:15 am »
She's followed that up with 242 miles.

Are we sure she doesn't have motors in her legs?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #187 on: 01 September, 2016, 08:34:04 am »
If she carries on like this it will presumably put anyone off going for the record in the foreseeable future (unless it was for some sub-catagory - age, terrain, non-draftng, etc, etc...)?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #188 on: 01 September, 2016, 08:55:28 am »
Assuming she doesn't slow down, Amanda will have taken Billie Fleming's record in a little over 4 months.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #189 on: 01 September, 2016, 11:33:01 am »
 Has anyone checked that Amanda is 'real' i.e. human  :o ;D :o

Whilst the UCI have been scanning bikes at the Tour and Vuelta for motors maybe someone should scan Amanda  :D :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #190 on: 01 September, 2016, 01:13:05 pm »
most likely banking some extra miles ahead of the arrival of "Hurricane Gaston", according to some speculation in the Strava comments.
Gaston is heading for the Azores, and never got near heading for Florida.
It's most likely that it was for Tropical Storm Hermine

A man has just been on the telly here talking of 9+ inches of rain already in the Tampa Bay area with more to come today and overnight.  Blowing a bit too.  Sounds like a day to stay in bed with a good book.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #191 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:25:44 am »
AC's weather induced 'day off' at DiznaeWorld had just the 55 miles to take her over 25,000 total.

[Edited to express that for me a 55 miler is yip, fine, job done, happy with that  :)]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #192 on: 02 September, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »
The weather map on the telly just now showed most of the eastern seaboard of USAnia dipped in red paint.  I'd be heading west as fast as my wheels could carry me1, only I suspect it's too late for Amanda to consider that option.

1: I am heading west as fast as my wheels can carry me, which is when they're not venting gas to the atmosphere of buried to the axles in a muddy ditch.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LMT

« Reply #193 on: 12 September, 2016, 07:05:00 pm »
Currently 2376 miles up on Tarzan.

« Reply #194 on: 12 September, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »

That's against his daily avg for the whole year. She's up more than 3300 miles from where he was on his Day 120.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #195 on: 13 September, 2016, 01:14:24 pm »

That's against his daily avg for the whole year. She's up more than 3300 miles from where he was on his Day 120.

If she plans to step it up, then wow.

We've already seen that she has lifted in the last couple of weeks.  However, her strength is in consistency.  I reckon she'll keep it pretty flat.  IMHO the problem with Steve's attempt was some blue sky thinking about stepping it up over the summer (aka Tommy).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #196 on: 13 September, 2016, 02:22:22 pm »
Riding in the UK makes a summer-loaded schedule more likely to work. January conditions are rather different to Jul-Sep.

(assuming a moped doesn't break one's ankle in the spring.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #197 on: 14 September, 2016, 09:36:28 am »
she'sjust posted a 251mile day to mark 1/3rd of the way through the year.

Oh, and dodging an alligator on the road
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #198 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:23:45 am »
I recall posting something about were we all sure that Tommy Godwin wasn't a machine sent from the future to make sure no one could ever break the record. After reading The Year* I revised this opinion to think that they had sent TWO terminators cyclotrons as Bennett must have also been one.

Now I think they're at it again and they've made a female version!!!

*which was great by the way!!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #199 on: 14 September, 2016, 11:38:26 am »
I recall posting something about were we all sure that Tommy Godwin wasn't a machine sent from the future to make sure no one could ever break the record. After reading The Year* I revised this opinion to think that they had sent TWO terminators cyclotrons as Bennett must have also been one.

Now I think they're at it again and they've made a female version!!!

*which was great by the way!!!

This is funny   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have to say they have obviously made improvements to each version of cyclotron as Amanda is the best yet
Eddington Number 75