Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 120385 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #450 on: 04 April, 2017, 05:06:41 pm »
If us armchair observers are not permitted to compare and contrast the attempts what is left?
Statements of numbers. That is what we are left with. Oh, and saying/posting "well done old chap" or "good jaaaarb dude!".

(fortunately some people love listing numbers. And collating them. And putting them in spreadsheets ...  ;D )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #451 on: 04 April, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »
...  It does seem that there's a lot less posting in here than there was on the previous attempt
Because there is far less of the will she, won't she?  I watch her progress via her Facebook daily posts, remain in awe of her focus and dedication, but since a few weeks in when she settled into this daily rhythm, barring mishap / ill health the outcome has not really been in doubt.

Hers is one massive achievement.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #452 on: 04 April, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »
...  It does seem that there's a lot less posting in here than there was on the previous attempt
Because there is far less of the will she, won't she?  I watch her progress via her Facebook daily posts, remain in awe of her focus and dedication, but since a few weeks in when she settled into this daily rhythm, barring mishap / ill health the outcome has not really been in doubt.

Agree with your points.

Sorry for the OT, but I was wondering how many people here knew what your username means in the Doric.
I'm guessing it *is* Doric, and not something else....

IJL

« Reply #453 on: 04 April, 2017, 06:05:08 pm »
Quote from: IJL on Today at 04:14:07 pm

Hers is one massive achievement

TBH I wasn't paying attention and I thought I was posting in TG's thread,  AC has it in the bag for now

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #454 on: 04 April, 2017, 06:08:05 pm »
Quote from: IJL on Today at 04:14:07 pm

Hers is one massive achievement

TBH I wasn't paying attention and I thought I was posting in TG's thread,  AC has it in the bag for now

Dangerous talk! She still has to ride another 300 miles or so! There's also the matter of UMCA ratifying it. I know of no reason why they shouldn't, but then I wouldn't, would I?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #455 on: 04 April, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »

Agree with your points.

Sorry for the OT, but I was wondering how many people here knew what your username means in the Doric.
I'm guessing it *is* Doric, and not something else....
Aye min, a north east chiel noo a lang wye f'hame!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #456 on: 05 April, 2017, 08:58:35 am »
75996.7. After 5 hours or so of today's ride she will have overtaken Kurt. With 39 days still to go. Chapeau!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #457 on: 05 April, 2017, 10:09:11 am »
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #458 on: 05 April, 2017, 01:20:10 pm »

Thanks for the correction. I dial an awful lot of incorrect phone numbers...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #459 on: 05 April, 2017, 07:20:41 pm »
From Tarzan's facebook page:

Congratulations to Amanda Coker- Ultracyclist - HAM'R 2016, who has just broken my overall record for most miles ridden in a 365 day year. Alicia and I met Amanda back in Late November 2015 when we came to Flatwoods park to ride. She came out and rode with us every day I was in the park and I explained to her about the Hamr Record and how I knew she could set the women's record. Well she went a step further and now has surpassed my overall record. I was asked by a reporter how I felt, specifically if I was sad because I only held the record for 15 months. I said no, I knew I had to be the person to break the record, but once people knew it could be broken, and saw how easy it was to roll up miles at Flatwoods park it would only be a matter of time before a gifted and well disciplined rider that could ride in Flatwoods park all year long would break my record. Amanda still has a month to go so there is no telling how high the record will be.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #460 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:27:21 am »
Total mileage so far: 76,233.9

Congratulations Amanda!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #461 on: 06 April, 2017, 09:46:23 am »
Astonishing achievement!  I look forward to see the total she posts at the end.
Getting there...

« Reply #462 on: 06 April, 2017, 10:47:24 am »
From Tarzan's facebook page: [excellent message]

Already high respect for Tarzan increased further.

Massive congratulations to Amanda!

« Reply #463 on: 06 April, 2017, 11:17:07 am »
It has been pointed out on facebook that Kurt will continue to hold the HAMR for his age group.
I'm not sure that the UMCA recognises an overall 'highest' category, just records in each category.

Kurt is indeed a good sport.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #464 on: 06 April, 2017, 01:27:48 pm »
Chapeau Amanda
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #465 on: 06 April, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »
It has been pointed out on facebook that Kurt will continue to hold the HAMR for his age group.
As will Steve! (he's in the male 18-49 group IIRC) :)

I'm not sure that the UMCA recognises an overall 'highest' category, just records in each category.

I believe you're right, but I think there's an unspoken/implicit acknowledgement that the highest number is ... well, the highest number!  :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #466 on: 06 April, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »
A video clip from just moments after Amanda broke the record-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8dIXUtb8U4QZERGalhHclNOX1U/view

« Reply #467 on: 06 April, 2017, 04:14:35 pm »
ty for that

I hadn't seen any vids of her bike for a while. Interesting that she's gone full disc on the rear and very aero on the front bars.

Read a discussion that said she rides the recumbent nearly 50% of the time, but any vids show her on an upright.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #468 on: 06 April, 2017, 04:28:00 pm »
She's riding a Trek Speed Concept.  Steve's bikes are being serviced by a Trek store - perhaps they could swap him one while no-one's looking?  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #469 on: 06 April, 2017, 05:55:23 pm »
Read a discussion that said she rides the recumbent nearly 50% of the time, but any vids show her on an upright.

I think she used it more at the beginning, but I heard she was only really using it to ward off saddle sores, as she found she did better on the upright.

« Reply #470 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:18:55 pm »
ty for that

I hadn't seen any vids of her bike for a while. Interesting that she's gone full disc on the rear and very aero on the front bars.

Amanda has three bikes at her disposal- a standard road bike, a TT bike, and a recumbent. She spends time on each of them just about every day. The amount of time riding each varies day to day and there's really no set schedule or time target for riding any of her bikes.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #471 on: 08 April, 2017, 05:46:05 am »
Record passed, still keeps cranking out awesome mileages.  By my calculations at 260mpd for the last 37 days she would set a total of 86360  or 236.6mpd overall.

Her current Eddington number is 232 (232 rides of 232 miles or more) for the year, but it can only go up to a maximum of 233, because of the number of rides she's done around 233 miles.  She's reached 200 miles on 320 out of 328 days and 100 miles on 327 out of 328, which is astonishing consistency. 

It will take a very determined attempt by a very able rider to beat her record.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LMT

« Reply #472 on: 08 April, 2017, 03:25:30 pm »
Amazing effort and achievement, her and her team make it look all too easy - very well done.

Phil W

« Reply #473 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:47:05 am »