Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 120338 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #476 on: 11 April, 2017, 03:31:32 am »
Been trying to find Godwins "fastest to 100,000 miles" record on the Guinness website, but having no luck. Does anyone know if Guinness certified Tommy's 100,000 miles in 500 days, or was it only certified by Cycling Magazine?

Asking for a friend :-)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #477 on: 11 April, 2017, 08:22:22 am »
I don't recall but the answer is certainly in Dave Barter's book (citizenfish on here). Search Amazon for 'year reawakening endurance'. Well worth the dead tree price IMO, in kindle form it it is simply too cheap to not have.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #478 on: 11 April, 2017, 11:34:24 am »
I don't think Guinness was ever involved. Dave's book does have the answer, as I recall, but I won't be able to check for a few days.

« Reply #479 on: 11 April, 2017, 11:55:15 am »
Been trying to find Godwins "fastest to 100,000 miles" record on the Guinness website, but having no luck. Does anyone know if Guinness certified Tommy's 100,000 miles in 500 days, or was it only certified by Cycling Magazine?

Asking for a friend :-)

Nope they didn't and only recognised his year record after Ken Webb lodged his fraudulent attempt. Remember the book wasn't around until 1955 and Tommy set it in 1940.

EDIT: Cycling magazine verified it as you correctly stated.

« Reply #480 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:12:39 pm »

Nope they didn't and only recognised his year record after Ken Webb lodged his fraudulent attempt. Remember the book wasn't around until 1955 and Tommy set it in 1940.

EDIT: Cycling magazine verified it as you correctly stated.

Thank you. I had a feeling this was the case.

« Reply #481 on: 12 April, 2017, 07:47:33 am »
AC's new distance PR on day 332, 446km @ 34km/h..! 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #482 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:06:08 am »

That's truly astonishing when you realize that back in 2015, the required daily mileage to beat the record was "only" 205 miles/ 330 km. Amanda will not just beat the record, she will push it into an area that was unthinkable just 2 years ago!

SoreTween

« Reply #483 on: 12 April, 2017, 11:16:25 am »
Amanda looks like pushing the record to 237.6 per day and an increase of 11646 miles over Tommy. Just riding that increase in a year would be a major undertaking.

« Reply #484 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:01:28 pm »

That's truly astonishing when you realize that back in 2015, the required daily mileage to beat the record was "only" 205 miles/ 330 km. Amanda will not just beat the record, she will push it into an area that was unthinkable just 2 years ago!

I'm not sure it was unthinkable.

For me it seemed entirely plausible that a younger rider, with genuine professional ambitions or experience, supported on a closed circuit could absolutely destroy any previous attempt.

Personally I think 300 miles a day might be beaten at some point - the equipment and environment now exists to make this possible.   What we don't yet know is if anyone has the mentality to do it?   Amanda Cokers physical achievement is great - but her mental accomplishment is for me the biggest thing.   I don't think there have been many people who are mentally capable of these sort of distances in a year.   Many of those who have been capable have held the record or are having a go at it as we speak.   

I also think the record is unlikely to be taken on by too many people with racing pedigree unless it starts to reward them with either publicity or income.   Amanda Coker is probably in a unique situation due to her unfortunate injuries to be racing fit and racing age but not actually in a race team.

When you consider that in 1936 - Walter Greaves managed 45k miles it doesn't seem such a big jump to todays record ...... especially when you also consider that Walter was a social outcast (and a communist) with very little support around him.... and that he was a vegetarian in a time where there wasn't much veggie food available on the go....... oh, and he also only had one arm and piloted a very heavy, unmodified 3 gear bike and did much of his riding around the Pennines in pretty poor weather!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #485 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:22:29 pm »

When you consider that in 1936 - Walter Greaves managed 45k miles it doesn't seem such a big jump to todays record ...... especially when you also consider that Walter was a social outcast (and a communist) with very little support around him.... and that he was a vegetarian in a time where there wasn't much veggie food available on the go....... oh, and he also only had one arm and piloted a very heavy, unmodified 3 gear bike and did much of his riding around the Pennines in pretty poor weather!

Pockets...?  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #486 on: 12 April, 2017, 02:46:29 pm »
a COMMUNIST?? By jove!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #487 on: 12 April, 2017, 02:52:12 pm »
Everyone knows red cyclists are faster.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #488 on: 12 April, 2017, 03:44:00 pm »
;D :D ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #489 on: 12 April, 2017, 03:47:33 pm »
a COMMUNIST?? By jove!

Self confessed!   Walter Greaves is definitely my favorite holder of the Year - its just a brilliant story of British weirdness.

Having to sacrifice recovery time in the evenings to constantly remove, check and replace his tires because a puncture was a fairly big issue for him!   These new competitors don't know they have it made - what with their two working arms and all.

« Reply #490 on: 12 April, 2017, 06:01:57 pm »
Amanda looks like pushing the record to 237.6 per day and an increase of 11646 miles over Tommy. Just riding that increase in a year would be a major undertaking.
according to my calculator, assuming 260 mpd for the remaining days gives /only/ 236.66 mpd, and 265 mpd (which is what the concurrent months are running at gives 237.1 mpd

SoreTween

« Reply #491 on: 13 April, 2017, 09:04:43 am »
You're probably closer, I filled out my spreadsheet with 270 per day at the start of the month when she hit that three days running.  265 looks a better number now.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #493 on: 14 April, 2017, 11:30:31 pm »
The greatest distance ridden in a year.... in eleven months!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #494 on: 14 April, 2017, 11:49:17 pm »
astonishing effort, congratulations!! the "real" world after the challenge is over will seem surreal.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #495 on: 16 April, 2017, 07:16:19 pm »
Just a thought, Amanda is covering about the same distance each day as most of us covered on the Easter Arrow on Friday.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #496 on: 16 April, 2017, 07:23:03 pm »
Wow.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Phil W

« Reply #497 on: 16 April, 2017, 08:09:04 pm »
Just a thought, Amanda is covering about the same distance each day as most of us covered on the Easter Arrow on Friday.

And in about 2/3 of the time.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #498 on: 18 April, 2017, 10:24:44 pm »
At 267mpd, the last three days average, she will reach 86,616 miles for a year and would need only another 50 days to bring up the 100,000 should she decide to continue, a full 85 days less than Tommy Godwin.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

SoreTween

« Reply #499 on: 19 April, 2017, 06:59:47 am »
If I recall The Year correctly it would be slightly false to compare Tommy's performance beyond 365 days. It was no accident that he took exactly 500 days. I'm not trying to detract from Amanda should she keep going, just beware the comparison is not so tidy after 365 days.