Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252683 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1950 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:21:44 pm »
I may be biased, and make no apologies for that, but:

Another way of looking at that, is that the member in question (ooh-err, etc etc ) has a long proven track record in these parts of being a thoroughly reasonable chap, both tolerant and generous. (except when thongs are involved - everyone has a fault).

So for him to be moved to use such language must have taken quite some provocation.

"Think on", as the wise man said ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1951 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »
If the poster telling people to eff off is wise, he should know that on an internet forum you are only as good as your last post.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1952 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:31:17 pm »

FFS people, if you cannot support his attempt, fuck off and whimper elsewhere.

H

Nope! As is alluded above, this isn't a 'Go Steve' cheerleading thread. This is a 'thoughts on the record attempt' thread, and those thoughts can be negative, critical, carry suggestions and all kinds of other content that may well not fill close friends of Steve (or Kurt or Bruce or Bill or Kajsa) with deep joy. And that's tough, Hummers. Neither you nor Steve gets a free pass from criticism just because the project is worthy and creditable.

This is a public challenge, and in Steve's case, it's publicly funded. That makes Steve, in particular, open to the public commentary that we see here, and some of that commentary will not be complimentary or make comfortable reading. If the challenge was going well and there were no grounds for criticism, I might have some sympathy with your outburst. But that's not the case; this challenge is on a knife-edge (at best), and there are legitimate concerns that it won't work and that there may be reasons for that which could have been tackled earlier - or by stopping now and starting agin at a later date. Whether those opinions are correct or not will only be known in time, but it's anyone's right to state them in this forum. And neither you nor anyone else has the right to demand that those opinions aren't expressed.

« Reply #1953 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:37:21 pm »
I'd appreciate it if Phartiphukborlz, yourself and others didn't use words such as "ridiculous" unless of course this is how you address your family and friends, your colleagues and peers, and even strangers on a daily basis.   Respect costs nothing but is priceless.     

Your talk of "deliberately trying to undermine ... " is accusing other people of posting maliciously.  You then call for more respect.  Now I've heard it all.

If you read my posts properly you will see that I have consistently said that it seems to me that some posts are designed to undermine Steve's record attempt.   I believe this to be true.   I offer an open opinion whereas you, in my opinion, appear to be rude and dismissive.   Perhaps my post was not so ridiculous after all.

« Reply #1954 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:38:18 pm »

H

Nope! As is alluded above, this isn't a 'Go Steve' cheerleading thread. This is a 'thoughts on the record attempt' thread, and those thoughts can be negative, critical, carry suggestions and all kinds of other content that may well not fill close friends of Steve (or Kurt or Bruce or Bill or Kajsa) with deep joy. And that's tough, Hummers. Neither you nor Steve gets a free pass from criticism just because the project is worthy and creditable.

This is a public challenge, and in Steve's case, it's publicly funded. That makes Steve, in particular, open to the public commentary that we see here, and some of that commentary will not be complimentary or make comfortable reading. If the challenge was going well and there were no grounds for criticism, I might have some sympathy with your outburst. But that's not the case; this challenge is on a knife-edge (at best), and there are legitimate concerns that it won't work and that there may be reasons for that which could have been tackled earlier - or by stopping now and starting agin at a later date. Whether those opinions are correct or not will only be known in time, but it's anyone's right to state them in this forum. And neither you nor anyone else has the right to demand that those opinions aren't expressed.

+1
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1955 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:43:34 pm »

H

History has shown that creating such a thread is asking for trouble. (I've explained my reasoning on this before .. to not much popular acclaim! ).

But I just don't buy this "title of the thread" defence. If I created a
"Reasons I think Hummers is a twunt" thread,
 would that justify posts that were honest and forthright on that topic?

(Or should I be more "excellent" and call it "Do you think Hummers has stopped being a twunt?" )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1956 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:46:36 pm »

H

History has shown that creating such a thread is asking for trouble. (I've explained my reasoning on this before .. to not much popular acclaim! ).

But I just don't buy this "title of the thread" defence. If I created a
"Reasons I think Hummers is a twunt" thread,
 would that justify posts that were honest and forthright on that topic?

(Or should I be more "excellent" and call it "Do you think Hummers has stopped being a twunt?" )

Go on, I dare you!!

I don't think anyone would regard H (or Steve, or you) as a twunt, and I get the frustration that prompted the outburts. But this is a thread for discussing the attempt, not for blowing sunshine up Steve's arse, and sometimes it will be critical. Why shouldn't it be?

« Reply #1957 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »
What's happening here is that a few people, who claim to be Steve's "real" friends, are trying to shut down any analysis or suggestions to improve the challenge's chance of success. History is full of examples of people who claim the moral high-ground in justifying their attempts to silence others, and we all know where that leads.  To try and do this in a public forum on a thread titled "Current thoughts on the record attempt" is plainly absurd.

I would suggest that those being most vociferous and outrightly unpleasant are not in fact, as they claim, looking after Steve's best interest - rather what they are doing is massaging their own egos by claiming they are acting on his behalf because they have his "real" interests at heart.  It's the kind of puff-chested behaviour that's seen in drunken arguments where someone barges in an escalates an otherwise calm and rational discussion because they say they are sticking up for a friend (who would probably rather they shut up!).
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1958 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:55:49 pm »
I’ve been “thinking on” and I can’t quite understand why you create a post named “Current thoughts on the record attempt ?”, openly asking for people’s comments and then they are told to eff off when those thoughts aren’t in agreement with some people’s pov. I wasn’t aware we had been moved to North Korea.

As for people not supporting Steve, I find the majority of posts actually do support him but when their thoughts on whether he can complete the challenge or not don’t agree with what has been put up are considered anti-Steve.

I don’t think Hummers’ comment has helped Steve in any way by alienating a lot of people.

« Reply #1959 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:59:12 pm »
To be fair to Hummers, his post was *very* out of character. So maybe his account had been hacked like Jeremy Corbyn's Twitter account :demon:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12092267/jeremy-corbyn-twitter-account-hacked.html
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1960 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:00:18 pm »
I'm sure Hummers has been called far worse things in his time ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1961 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »
To be fair to Hummers, his post was *very* out of character.

I can understand where he is coming from after all it doesn't make for happy reading, but we live in a democratic society where free speech are part of our basic values. Hummers along with everybody else is free to air his views. Not everyone will agree of course.

I don't doubt the outburst was out of character.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1962 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:31:15 pm »
I'd appreciate it if Phartiphukborlz, yourself and others didn't use words such as "ridiculous" unless of course this is how you address your family and friends, your colleagues and peers, and even strangers on a daily basis.   Respect costs nothing but is priceless.     

Your talk of "deliberately trying to undermine ... " is accusing other people of posting maliciously.  You then call for more respect.  Now I've heard it all.

If you read my posts properly you will see that I have consistently said that it seems to me that some posts are designed to undermine Steve's record attempt.   I believe this to be true.   I offer an open opinion whereas you, in my opinion, appear to be rude and dismissive.   Perhaps my post was not so ridiculous after all.

In my opinion, opining that other people are posting maliciously is a very rude thing to do.

There, does that suit you better?

« Reply #1963 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:41:55 pm »

In my opinion, opining that other people are posting maliciously is a very rude thing to do.

If you are sincere in your posting that will do just fine.

Ben T

« Reply #1964 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:51:29 pm »
Seems to me there is a theory, that voicing the opinion that he is not likely to get the record, might be a self-fulfilling prophecy - i.e. speculating that he won't achieve it will in itself make him less likely to.
Could be that those who are aggreived at postulation that he will fall short are doing so because they believe that that will in itself hamper his chances.
In other words, if this theory is true, then being aggreived at such pessimistic evaluations would appear justified, but those who don't believe it have difficulty understanding why non-cheerleading posts get people's backs up.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1965 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:53:56 pm »
If you are sincere ...

No, I'm lying through my teeth  ::-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1966 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:57:45 pm »
Pharti, I think you're inflating a disagreement into a full spat here:

Please read my post below - I think it justifies all this "undermining" business without anyone having to be rude to anyone:

BTW, could the reason you are unwilling / unable to quote any posts that are "deliberately trying to undermine Steve's attempt" be  because they don't exist?
Plenty of people think the current attempt is doomed (some have given logical reasons, some have made their concern for Steve clear). It's hardly surprising when they make many posts that discourage the current attempt.

(There are also posts that IMO are just trolling, or just pessimistic with no constructive content; but I accept that these exist in a grey area, and you/I/PB will rarely come to agreement on them, no matter how much quoting we do! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1967 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »
Seems to me there is a theory, that voicing the opinion that he is not likely to get the record, might be a self-fulfilling prophecy - i.e. speculating that he won't achieve it will in itself make him less likely to.
Could be that those who are aggreived at postulation that he will fall short are doing so because they believe that that will in itself hamper his chances.
In other words, if this theory is true, then being aggreived at such pessimistic evaluations would appear justified, but those who don't believe it have difficulty understanding why non-cheerleading posts get people's backs up.

That assumes that Steve is reading this avidly, rather than cycling avidly, and that any perceived negative expression here will directly affect either his mental capabilities to retain his focus on the attempt, or his physical ability to do so.

I have never met Steve personally, but a characteristic of other athletes I have met, who were at the top of their game is an unswerving self belief. I can't see that this thread could conceivably dent that.

I think this thread now serves as nothing else than willy-waving by the various protagonists.

BTW - I have utmost respect for Steve, whether he makes the record or not, he will be cycling in one year further than I have cycled in my entire lifetime in all likelihood, and I do not feel qualified to comment on his ability to achieve it or not.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1968 on: 11 January, 2016, 03:04:01 pm »
If you are sincere ...

No, I'm lying through my teeth  ::-)

Nothing more to be said then.   

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1969 on: 11 January, 2016, 03:04:31 pm »
There were some quite grumpy-sounding FB posts from Alicia/Kurt about trolling on Strava*; taken at face value, it did dent morale. Note also that in Autumn-ish Kurt was behind schedule and had a succession of issues outside their control; it was probably no fun reading shit on the internet during that time - maybe it affected them, maybe not ...

*(and possibly stuff on here, but I can't remember for sure? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1970 on: 11 January, 2016, 03:06:26 pm »
At the end of the day, Steve knows what he has to achieve, the bar's been set. Only he knows how/whether he can do it. All the mental masturbation that's going on here is insignificant to him and I don't think it will make one jot of a difference to his outlook.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1971 on: 11 January, 2016, 03:08:34 pm »
At the end of the day, Steve knows what he has to achieve, the bar's been set. Only he knows how/whether he can do it. All the mental masturbation that's going on here is insignificant to him and I don't think it will make one jot of a difference to his outlook.

:thumbsup:

absolutely.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #1972 on: 11 January, 2016, 04:41:50 pm »
Masters,
My circuits flashed in an unseemly way and and indicated that an excellent lock had to be put into place. This thread was circuitous in nature and took away from our forum rather than adding to it.

Excellence to each other, to those riding the HAMR and their teams is the protocol my circuits have been programmed to follow.