Author Topic: square taper bb removal  (Read 2200 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
square taper bb removal
« on: 24 February, 2019, 08:07:48 am »
two questions,

1) lhs is conventional thread, and rhs reverse thread? I'm not going bonkers?
2) best method to wield the tool? I don't have an adjustable that goes wide enough, and my stilsons won't grip. The tool is quite rounded on the corners, not through use, I'm guessing a big socket is best?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: square taper bb removal
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:35:14 am »
two questions,

1) lhs is conventional thread, and rhs reverse thread? I'm not going bonkers?

Correct - not bonkers

2) best method to wield the tool? I don't have an adjustable that goes wide enough, and my stilsons won't grip. The tool is quite rounded on the corners, not through use, I'm guessing a big socket is best?

Well, if you can get a socket on it that gives you a snug fit then that will be fine.

I'm surprised you can't get some stillsons to grip though.

Problem with these tools is that the splines can easily slip off the BB, so what I'll often do is get a large G clamp or grip-clamp [if you have such things] and spread it across the BB from end to end, holding the tool in place as it sits in the BB. Slightly more tricky to do this though if you're going to sue a socket. You don't have to do it up tight just enough to stop the tool from slipping off. A bit of gaffer tape can help with that too. You only need to loosen it then Bob's y'Uncle.
Garry Broad

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:42:09 am »
Another solution for the spline tool slipping (but you'll have to source the bolt) is to use a bolt (IIRC it's 8mm 1.0 fine thread) fixed into the end of the BB (i.e. the same size thread as the crank bolt, but longer.  Works a treat to keep the tool on the splines.

The alternative is 5 mins at the LBS - I'd normally do that for free in my shop .. or suggest a packet of biscuits!

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:51:14 am »
Another solution for the spline tool slipping (but you'll have to source the bolt) is to use a bolt (IIRC it's 8mm 1.0 fine thread) fixed into the end of the BB (i.e. the same size thread as the crank bolt, but longer.  Works a treat to keep the tool on the splines.

Watson....had you stood back and thought for a moment, you've have seen that was the obvious way to go :-)
Garry Broad

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:02:42 am »
Thanks All, will take a look at the crank bolt vs the hole through the tool, might be designed to use that way. 

rr

« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:10:42 am »

Watson....had you stood back and thought for a moment, you've have seen that was the obvious way to go :-)
IRC it is a really obsure size, so don't expect to find one in your local B&Q. I ended up buying one from CRC with a big circular nut on it to hold the tool.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:42:25 am »
I use a standard crank bolt and a big washer. The washer is slightly harder to source as it needs a big out diameter to cover the hole in the tool and a smaller than usual inner diameter otherwise the bolt head will go straight through. You may have to stack two different sized washers.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:51:20 am »
My BB tool can take a 1/2" ratchet straight into the tool so no faffing with slipping sockets or adjustables. Last one I took out was chuffing tight though

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2019, 11:42:11 am »
My BB tool can take a 1/2" ratchet straight into the tool so no faffing with slipping sockets or adjustables. Last one I took out was chuffing tight though

the usual slippage is the slippage of the tool out of the BB splines. Bolting the tool to the BB spindle is a good idea, but usually the bolt goes where the 1/2" drive square would sit. Thus you need a big socket.  I think I've used well over 400ftlbs on a (very tight) BB before now.... :o

cheers

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2019, 11:47:02 am »
I use a standard crank bolt and a big washer. The washer is slightly harder to source as it needs a big out diameter to cover the hole in the tool and a smaller than usual inner diameter otherwise the bolt head will go straight through. You may have to stack two different sized washers.
Cone spanner.
 :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2019, 05:00:34 pm »
Cone spanner.
 :thumbsup:
Ooh. Filed away under Top Tips for when I lose the specially procured washers.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rr

« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2019, 06:18:30 pm »
My bolts were too short to do that, you must have a short tool.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

KM

« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2019, 06:29:44 pm »
I use a standard crank bolt and a big washer.

Same here.  IIRC my washer was one that had been used to fasten a headboard to a bed base. 

For my particular BB tool I picked up a 32mm Halfords Advanced 1/2” drive socket to go with a Sealey breaker bar. Very satisfying in use.

ElyDave

« Reply #13 on: 24 February, 2019, 07:19:16 pm »
I found an old wrench in one of mmy inherited toolboxes that had nice flat faces - the stilson were failing to grip because the tool has slightly rounded corners. It needed a bit of fettling itself, a spray of GT85 to free up the mechanism.

Ended up with a big washer against the wrench, then the crankbolt, and a lot of brute force.   Will install the new one tomorrow.

« Reply #14 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:23:15 pm »
I’m assuming it is a British thread, not Italian?

ElyDave

« Reply #15 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:33:00 am »
how does the thread affect the size of the wrench used?  I don't get the question.

« Reply #16 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:48:09 am »
Italian uses a RH thread both sides of the BB shell.

cheers

« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:52:34 am »
My bolts were too short to do that, you must have a short tool.

Shimano TL-UN74 is shallow enough that a standard crank bolt can normally be used to secure it. You do need a big washer though.

Provided the washer is smaller than ~36mm dia, then a big socket will fit over it and drive the tool nicely.  I have a 3/4" drive socket and a five foot long breaker bar..... :o

cheers

ElyDave

« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2019, 10:47:40 am »
yes, that's the tool I have, I have the big tommy bars, but not the right socket - yet

And, no it's not Italian thread, it's out now.