Author Topic: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do  (Read 41401 times)

Knocked off - tell me what I need to do
« on: 20 September, 2016, 09:58:30 am »
Knocked off in Headingley on way to work. No front teeth, face a mess. New bike bent. Tips?

Got loads of pictures, load of witnesses. Bike secure.

When to tell the wife?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:01:42 am »
Ow, fuck  That's nasty, very sorry for you.

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:03:18 am »

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:09:56 am »
That's awful, Ian.  Not sure about when to tell your wife, though.  If you've been checked over and otherwise ok, you might leave it till she'd expect to see you anyway (or possibly a little earlier, to warn her about your appearance.  When I was knocked off early on a 200, I didn't tell my wife until I arrived home that night in an ambulance.  She wasn't expecting me till late, so there seemed no sense in worrying her while I was patched up.  She was fine with that, though I think she would have been fine either way.

Get well soon.

Peter

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:11:14 am »
Get well soon bud.

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:18:20 am »
Wow. Awful. Sorry to hear this. How did it happen?

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:23:40 am »
Best wishes to you (and also to yours) Dr M.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:29:12 am »
Shit, that doesn't look pretty.  Tell your wife before she finds out through other means (postings on YACF for example).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:40:54 am »
Oh dear . . .

teeth repairs can be expensive and difficult. I'm sure you know this. Do go for max claims, use a solicitor, remember that if they'd bumped a car the claim for bodywork repairs would be in the thousands, your face and smile are worth more than some ruddy paint and metal on a blasted car!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:50:57 am »
Ouch!

Get thee to A&E and a dentist!

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/131099/#comment8835739

Might need LFGSS registration

Mend well and fast.
Itemise every penny you spend on anything.
Don't settle too soon; some long-term problems can take ages to appear in both body and bike.

Get well soon!

« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:51:15 am »
Recommended solicitor?

« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:53:59 am »
Slater gordon - Peli gave linky above.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

red marley

« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2016, 10:59:06 am »
Really bad luck Dr M. Get well soon.

You asked what you needed to do. One further bit of advice I would suggest is to write down as much as possible of the details and your feelings about the incident now, just as a personal diary. It can be a ramble, stream of consciousness type stuff. You will be in shock at the moment (don't be surprised if you spontaneously burst into tears at some point in the next week; it's just the body coping and perfectly normal). Capturing your experience before your mind starts to erase some of the gory details may prove helpful later on. If nothing else it will provide you with "interesting" reading a year from now.

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2016, 11:07:05 am »
Jo, that is interesting about the late bursting into tears: in my case (referred to above) I was chirpy right up to the moment (10 hours later) when I was helped into the house, when I blubbed like an utter wet and a weed on seeing my wife.  She does not normally have this effect, so it must have been as you describe!

Good luck, Ian

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2016, 11:07:23 am »
Ian, I'm really sorry this has happened, I hope you get it all sorted out satisfactorily.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2016, 11:23:46 am »
If you've been checked over and otherwise ok, you might leave it till she'd expect to see you anyway (or possibly a little earlier, to warn her about your appearance.  When I was knocked off early on a 200, I didn't tell my wife until I arrived home that night in an ambulance.  She wasn't expecting me till late, so there seemed no sense in worrying her while I was patched up.  She was fine with that, though I think she would have been fine either way.
That's more-or-less what worked for me. I was commuting home, but arrival time varies by about 2 hours. So once I was in A&E - and I was _fairly_ confident I wasn't dying - I phoned N shortly before she might start wondering where I was.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2016, 11:27:42 am »
Don't send pictures to MrsM.

And avoid mirrors.

Yowza. Take care, doc.

JJ

« Reply #17 on: 20 September, 2016, 11:30:30 am »
So, so sorry for you Ian.  Sending tons of GWS thoughts your way.
I'm confident that they'll fix you up, and you'll heal quickly.  The NHS is great in a crisis.

Your kids' reaction will put it all in perspective when you see them, I betcha!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 20 September, 2016, 12:03:02 pm »
Ouch! My advice is to take other people's advice and listen to the doctors.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19 on: 20 September, 2016, 12:58:39 pm »

I was riding to work, through Headingley in the cycle lane with traffic. At the cross roads, I filtered with traffic, riding on the nearside.  Beside me was moving traffic. As i crossed the junction, going from north to south, a grey uber taxi turned in front of me through a gap in the traffic, hitting me and sending me over the bonnet. I recall the initial impact, but then a brief gap in my memory until a gentleman had me sat on the pavement and was asking if I was okay. I was sat on the kerb bleeding heavily from my mouth. Someone gathered Various details. I took many photos as I could before the pain became too much. Various concerned members of the public gathered around me. A paramedic, ambulance and police car attended. I was taken by ambulance to LGI. I have minor injuries to my hands, feet, knees, shoulders and neck. I have significant injuries to my face, with two teeth missing and more damaged beyond repair. Pain was 7/8 out of 10 initially, reducing to 5 on morphine.

I had an exceptionally bright front light on continuous + flashing mode (exposure six pack). I was wearing a high visibility chartreuse gillet with contrast banding, and a high visibility jersey (green and chartreuse, with contrast banding).

As well as the exposure front light, I had an exposure red eye and a high end Bontrager rear light.

LMT

« Reply #20 on: 20 September, 2016, 12:58:51 pm »
Fucking hell, not sure if your question was rhetorical or not so:-

Report it to the Police with details of the respective witnesses.

Join CyclingUK (CTC), IIRC you can use their free service to do with bike injuries retrospectively. Slater & Gordon ime have been superb with the two incidents that I had in getting my claim settled.

Keep receipts for absolutely everything to do with the crash, any medicines bought, trips to the dentist, doctors etc. S&G if you go with them should set up a Doctors appointment for you x amount of weeks from now where you can go and get your injuries assessed post incident and see how you are holding up.

Take photos of the crashed bike, this 'should' do for making a claim but if you want to get the bike assessed at the LBS then do that.

Buy a new bike.

Heal well, that looks a nasty incident.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 20 September, 2016, 01:29:00 pm »

I was riding to work, through Headingley in the cycle lane with traffic. At the cross roads, I filtered with traffic, riding on the nearside.  Beside me was moving traffic. As i crossed the junction, going from north to south, a grey uber taxi turned in front of me (Skoda kn61 oup) through a gap in the traffic, hitting me and sending me over the bonnet. I recall the initial impact, but then a brief gap in my memory until a gentleman had me sat on the pavement and was asking if I was okay. I was sat on the kerb bleeding heavily from my mouth. Someone gathered Various details. I took many photos as I could before the pain became too much. Various concerned members of the public gathered around me. A paramedic, ambulance and police car attended. I was taken by ambulance to LGI. I have minor injuries to my hands, feet, knees, shoulders and neck. I have significant injuries to my face, with two teeth missing and more damaged beyond repair. Pain was 7/8 out of 10 initially, reducing to 5 on morphine.

I had an exceptionally bright front light on continuous + flashing mode (exposure six pack). I was wearing a high visibility chartreuse gillet with contrast banding, and a high visibility jersey (green and chartreuse, with contrast banding).

As well as the exposure front light, I had an exposure red eye and a high end Bontrager rear light.
I'm guessing that DrM doesn't have paper-n-pen with him currently :)

GWS mate.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #22 on: 20 September, 2016, 01:29:35 pm »
Fark.

Are you aiming to single-handedly manipulate the collision statistics in Yorkshire?

That really is a bad smash. But I am sure all can be sorted over time (but no doubt it will cost a lot of money  and will not be easy). Whatever good looks you had before will be back I am sure ;)

I, touch wood, have little experience to share, so can only offer you my best wishes.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #23 on: 20 September, 2016, 03:15:17 pm »
Awful.  Well done you for getting the pictures - I don't think I'd have had such presence of mind.
Another vote for Slater Gordon, I found them helpful, patient and friendly.
Move Faster and Bake Things

hellymedic

• Just do it!