Author Topic: Diabetics- what type and drugs are you on?  (Read 9107 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Diabetics- what type and drugs are you on?
« on: 27 December, 2018, 12:00:33 pm »
Hello,

Looking at you diabetics and wondering what drugs you are on.  Mainly so I can go to my doctor and ask for MOAR DRUGS as current meds are not working.  Suspect possible interactions with other meds but hey ho.

So me:

Slow release metformin 2g januvia 100g.

Thinking of upping the slow release to 3g.  See what happens.

Since 24th Dec haven't been below 12mmol, before no testing and diet is low carb...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Diabetics- what type and drugs are you on?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:36:25 pm »
3 x 500 mg metformin, manufacturer's name like Christer or I.G. Farben, probably comes from Israel or India.  HbA1c is 6.5% which doc OKs. Usual BS is 100-120 mg/dl.

When I'm going to be cycling the doc tells me to cut out the pills before, during and immediately after. He also tells me (and Mrs. Proudy agrees) not to worry too much about figures over Christmas/New Year.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »
I'm on Gliclazide 40mg, but my sugar level is around  8-10 doctor thinks that's OK

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:49:48 pm »
For those who measure their glucose in mmol/l rather than mg/l, T42's glucose is in the 5.56 - 6.67 range...

Divide/multiply by 18 to convert.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:49:54 pm »
...manufacturer's name like Christer or I.G. Farben...
Most amusing
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:52:39 pm »
Manufacturer of Zyklon B, the cyanide gas used in the extermination chambers AIUI...

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2018, 02:03:33 pm »
Indeed, and complicit in much more.  In 1978 KZ Buchenwald, in the GDR, had an exhibition showing documentation for female inmates sent to IG Farben facilities for experimental purposes.  Gruesome.  Salvatore OTP has probably seen that too.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2018, 03:56:44 pm »
Type 1, using an insulin pump with Novorapid.

Also have a back up insulin pen and needles with injectable Novorapid and Levemir

I've given myself a holiday from strict control since Christmas Eve.  I've had beer, chocolates, twiglets, potatoes and bread, all of which need strict watching.  I'll start again tomorrow.  No beer in the house.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2018, 04:47:16 pm »

Also have a back up insulin pen and needles with injectable Novorapid and Levemir

That ^^^ sounds like a fiddly PITA.  Every time I tell the doc that metformin's a pain in the arse he grins and offers me an insulin pen. No ta.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2018, 05:59:19 pm »

That ^^^ sounds like a fiddly PITA.  Every time I tell the doc that metformin's a pain in the arse he grins and offers me an insulin pen. No ta.

Especially for your driving licence ;)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2018, 06:12:34 pm »
3 x 500 mg metformin, manufacturer's name like Christer or I.G. Farben, probably comes from Israel or India.  HbA1c is 6.5% which doc OKs. Usual BS is 100-120 mg/dl.

When I'm going to be cycling the doc tells me to cut out the pills before, during and immediately after. He also tells me (and Mrs. Proudy agrees) not to worry too much about figures over Christmas/New Year.

Is that the slow release or normal?

Have heard the comments about christmas/new year quite often...

I'm on Gliclazide 40mg, but my sugar level is around  8-10 doctor thinks that's OK

Just gliclazide?

Do you mean HbA1c?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2018, 06:18:40 pm »
For those who measure their glucose in mmol/l rather than mg/l, T42's glucose is in the 5.56 - 6.67 range...

Find it amusing that the UK system was supposed to have changed to mmol/l from mg/l a few years ago.  Pity bg machines and labs are sticking with the mg/l readings.

ElyDave

« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2018, 06:39:14 pm »
Its kind of hard to be T1 and not have insulin  :P

With a borked pancreas its "give me insulin, or give me death!"

The pump is the size of an old pager, powered by an AAA, and holds the insulin cartridge.  Connected by a fine tube to a subcutaneous cannula for continuous delivery.  The other option would be two different types of insulin, five injections per day, five needles to dispose of.

The pump is by far the least faffy of the two.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »
Dr bernstein disagrees with your type 1 and Insulin.  8)

Pumps are brilliant, from what pump users have said to me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:27:56 pm »

Find it amusing that the UK system was supposed to have changed to mmol/l from mg/l a few years ago.  Pity bg machines and labs are sticking with the mg/l readings.

UK labs measure in mmol/l.
US labs use mg/l

Suspect blood glucose machines were developed for the American market.
Don't know what domestic machines aimed at our Continental cousins use. I think their labs use mmol/l though.

« Reply #15 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:40:11 pm »

Is that the slow release or normal?

Have heard the comments about christmas/new year quite often...

Just gliclazide?

Do you mean HbA1c?
Slow release, my tester reads in mmol/L

ElyDave

« Reply #16 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:01:35 pm »

Then Dr Bernstein is a twat.

I'm on the lowest dose of insulin I know of, and have the best control I know of. That is achieved by a low carb diet, target less than fifty grammes a day, high levels of activity and use of the pump. Trying to keep in a mild nutritional ketosis.    Even with all that, I know that if my pump stops, or I have a bad cannula, or a bad insulin cartridge, my levels will go out of control.

Yes, T2's can achieve remission with all of the above, in which Dr B is correct, but not T1.

As for the pump, they are extremely effective in certain circumstances

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #17 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:02:21 pm »

US labs use mg/l

Don't know what domestic machines aimed at our Continental cousins use. I think their labs use mmol/l though.

Machines used to let you choose.  All my machines are mmol/L.  Machine sellers give the readers away for free.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:13:04 pm »
I think some people reclassify T2s as T1 once they go onto insulin.

I am not a diabetologist but some folk have some residual insulin secretion; some don't. If there is NONE exogenous insulin is needed.

My uncle became insulin-dependant after ingesting HUGE quantities of orange juice at around the age of 60. He is now on a very low-carb diet and off insulin. I'd term him as T2 though others may disagree.

David's dad became diabetic at 38, like his mother before him. He is now on insulin and multiple other medications. He has been told he is T1 now but...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #19 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:23:15 pm »

Then Dr Bernstein is a twat.

I'm on the lowest dose of insulin I know of, and have the best control I know of. That is achieved by a low carb diet, target less than fifty grammes a day, high levels of activity and use of the pump. Trying to keep in a mild nutritional ketosis.    Even with all that, I know that if my pump stops, or I have a bad cannula, or a bad insulin cartridge, my levels will go out of control.

Yes, T2's can achieve remission with all of the above, in which Dr B is correct, but not T1.

As for the pump, they are extremely effective in certain circumstances

At a guess you haven't come across Dr Bernstein.  His regime (goes further than a diet) goes for 30g max!!!  I believe that the there is a link with the type of diabetic that you are.  By that I mean the sub types that under the type 1 and 2 umbrella.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #20 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:24:53 pm »

I am not a diabetologist but some folk have some residual insulin secretion; some don't. If there is NONE exogenous insulin is needed.

My uncle became insulin-dependant after ingesting HUGE quantities of orange juice at around the age of 60. He is now on a very low-carb diet and off insulin. I'd term him as T2 though others may disagree.

David's dad became diabetic at 38, like his mother before him. He is now on insulin an multiple other medications. He has been told he is T1 now but...

We are wandering on to another topic.  One I find very interesting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:46:59 pm »

David's dad became diabetic at 38, like his mother before him. He is now on insulin an multiple other medications. He has been told he is T1 now but...

We are wandering on to another topic.  One I find very interesting.

We are wandering in another direction and while I could start another topic or split off, I think management of of diabetes is in some way best left as a single topic.

I am sure we are are ALL potential (at least) T2 diabetics. Too much sugar and/or energy will overwhelm the body's capacity to handle these.

Some folk have trouble handling even modest quantities of carbohydrate but might be OK as this approaches zero.

Those with NO insulin secretion will need exogenous insulin whatever their diet.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:02:57 pm »

US labs use mg/l

Mmol/l is the Si unit for pretty much every medical measurement.

The switch in Scotland took place not long before I left the diabetes project, though I was looking at a lab results issue earlier and of the 8 or so results, 2 were %ages, 1 was mg/l and the rest were mmol/l
Can't remember what was in mg/l but it wasn't the blood glucose or cholesterol.

Part of the classification problem is historically type 1 was "insulin dependent" and type 2 "dietary controlled" which was eventually considered inappropriate as its the same as classifying a cough based on whether you take tixilix or a hot toddy rather than by the underlying cause of it.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:09:28 pm »
I believe the Yanks STILL use mg/L...

Backward colonials!

ElyDave

« Reply #24 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »
I have come across Bernstein, seen him speak. Either he is wrong on T1 or you are misunderstanding. As Helly Medic states, do not confuse insulin use vs diabetes type.

I have T1, dose of flu, rogue t-cells, borked beta cells.  I may have some residual insulin production but not a lot.

Bernstein is correct on T2, whether using insulin or not.  All of those factors I mention, including very low carb diets may remove the need for insulin, and may put the T2 into remission.  That will however not work with T1, we can reduce but not eliminate.

As HM says, the distinctions may not always be clear, in my case however, it is crystal.