Author Topic: Recommend me some brown rice  (Read 2236 times)

Recommend me some brown rice
« on: 13 February, 2009, 04:21:14 pm »
Which brand tastes nice?  I'm slowly moving towards a healthier and healthier diet as I get better eating habits, but I've a long way to go yet.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Re: Recommend me some brown rice
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2009, 04:39:58 pm »
I don't think it's so much the brand as the type that matters. I like brown basmati, but other people prefer short grain brown rice - I think i've read that the macrobiotic diet specifies short grain, but I've no idea why!

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »
I don't think it's so much the brand as the type that matters. I like brown basmati, but other people prefer short grain brown rice - I think i've read that the macrobiotic diet specifies short grain, but I've no idea why!

Because macrobiotics is full of nutty ideas such as green plants being good for your respiratory system because leaves are the lungs of plants. Not that eating fresh unprocessed foods which is at the core of macrobiotics isn't better for you then living off supermarket ready meals.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2009, 05:51:52 pm »

Because macrobiotics is full of nutty ideas such as green plants being good for your respiratory system because leaves are the lungs of plants. Not that eating fresh unprocessed foods which is at the core of macrobiotics isn't better for you then living off supermarket ready meals.

Agreed - but why short rather than long? Is it more round, like the earth, or something?

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »
Is short grain rice closer to wild rice and long grain a cultivated variety ? Macrobiotics recommends food that is less "cultivated". Personally I prefer basmati too.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

annie

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:30:07 pm »
I can thoroughly recommend brown basmati, red camargue and wild rice (comes in one packet) from Waitrose.  If you want me to send you some so that you can try it just ask?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2009, 07:47:15 pm »
I like the Tesco standard brown rice.  It comes in a suitably penitential unadorned packet.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2009, 01:00:30 pm »
We used to eat it but the 30mins cooking time is too long.  I've also inherited a narrow gullet (it's worse if I have a cold) which is easily blocked by undercooked rice clumping together.  Once it was blocked for 20 minutes and I had liquid overflowing from my nose as I tried to clear it out with pints of water.  My father won't eat rice at all for this reason.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2009, 01:03:49 pm »
Peli makes amazing brown rice :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2009, 01:37:29 pm »
Holland and Barrett brown rice is good.  Just munched some with stir fry veggies.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:57:33 pm »
Brown basmati is ace. 

Just be sure with any brown rice to let it cook for *ever*. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »
Or soak it first.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2009, 07:40:33 am »
I just use a basic cheapy, usually Tescos.  I find with rice having a proper automatic rice boiler is what makes all the difference.

I can't stand white rice, tastes like wallpaper paste to me.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:04:44 am »
Basmati only for me!

I can highly recommend this from Waitrose:-

A bit expensive but it's really nice.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:38:00 am »
Thank you all!!

I have the ultimate way to cook rice btw, at least white rice, from my Mum.  Boil it almost dry, and then leave the pot well insulated in the bed for a few hours.  Awesomely fluffy white rice from that, I'll have to see how it works for brown rice.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:53:29 am »
Basmati only for me!

I can highly recommend this from Waitrose:-

A bit expensive but it's really nice.

nom nom nom.

I like wild rice, but it needs to be mixed in with brown... :)
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 16 February, 2009, 06:46:03 pm »
Best we have had is Sainsbury's Organic Brown Rice. Delicious. I do it in the mike - perfect in just 26 minutes.

Just don't let Woolly cook it.  ;)