Author Topic: London Sightseer  (Read 604 times)

London Sightseer
« on: 13 April, 2024, 12:56:37 pm »
Have just been looking for this event in the Audax listings, but cant find either the Midweek (usually in June) or the Sunday ride (usually in September).

I have done both versions many times, the last time was in 2019 and would like to ride it again this year if it is on.

Bill Carnaby from Hounslow & District was the organiser.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: London Sightseer
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:46:46 pm »
Have just been looking for this event in the Audax listings, but cant find either the Midweek (usually in June) or the Sunday ride (usually in September).

I have done both versions many times, the last time was in 2019 and would like to ride it again this year if it is on.

Bill Carnaby from Hounslow & District was the organiser.

Ditto on being interested - I've just PM'd you.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2024, 09:00:46 am »
I always liked the sound of this one, too, and being retired makes it more of a possibility.
Is there a group DIY in the offing?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2024, 12:16:29 pm »
I would be up for that but preferably not starting at the opposite side of the circuit from home!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2024, 05:27:21 pm »
it's a cracking route, shame it's not available as a perm

Probably not a good idea on the Platinum Jubilee 2022 when I did the route (leaving at Battersea Park to pick up the L2B) as part of a DIY 200 and the entire population of London was also on the route  :-\

I used the Woolwich foot tunnel instead of the Emirates cable car, not sure if that is the normal crossing now? (found the route on RWG)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:27:13 am »
it's a cracking route, shame it's not available as a perm

Probably not a good idea on the Platinum Jubilee 2022 when I did the route (leaving at Battersea Park to pick up the L2B) as part of a DIY 200 and the entire population of London was also on the route  :-\

I used the Woolwich foot tunnel instead of the Emirates cable car, not sure if that is the normal crossing now? (found the route on RWG)

When Bill was running the events Wednesday used the cable-car and Sunday the tunnel.    We did a cut-down version once taking the ferry across from Canary Wharf to the Hilton hotel on the S side - just to be different!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2024, 11:15:56 am »
I think it used to be the case that bikes weren't allowed on the cable car at weekends as it was too busy.

But it appears that now their current practice on the cable car is not to put strangers in the same cabin anyway, so bikes are allowed at weekends but there will be a long queue. Unfortunately new tall buildings have gone up to the west of the crossing and the views of London are not as good as they were.

Probably the foot tunnel is still best at weekends.

Eddington  127miles, 170km