Author Topic: [HAMR] 15th April - Miles Smith - Day 5  (Read 3368 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
[HAMR] 15th April - Miles Smith - Day 5
« on: 15 April, 2015, 10:43:31 am »
On the road at 01:00, first loop completed around 09:00.  2 hours later after a break and a trip to the shop he set off again this time turning around about 2/3 of the way round the bay.  Shop again and then home to bed about 19:00 with 215 miles banked.

Is this the stock routine emerging I wonder?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Re: 15th April - Miles Smith - Day 5
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
On the road at 01:00, first loop completed around 09:00.  2 hours later after a break and a trip to the shop he set off again this time turning around about 2/3 of the way round the bay.  Shop again and then home to bed about 19:00 with 215 miles banked.

Is this the stock routine emerging I wonder?

I suspect you are correct. I read somewhere that he works permanent nights so the timings fit with what he's used to.

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:13:54 pm »
night time riding would also be better in the Aus summer = cooler
Eddington Number 75

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:23:32 pm »
except the Aussies are heading into winter.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:00:42 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2015, 02:39:32 pm »
All good stuff to have another keen and motivated contender!  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:33:17 pm »
except the Aussies are heading into winter.
It might be heading into winter but we've had very unseasonal weather here in Melbourne. Yesterday morning started with thunder and heavy rain but it then cleared up and got to 28 C or 88 F. If Miles was out when the thunderstorm hit, he may have pulled off the road for an hour or so.
The weather, however, can be quite different down the Peninsula.
As you've probably picked up, I know the route Miles is riding very well. If you look at Strava you will see there is a bumpy bit. Part of that is the stretch from Mornington to Safety Beach. That's a narrow, one lane in each direction, road that's as beautiful as any stretch of road in the world that I've ridden. From Safety Beach to Portsea is pancake flat and then Frankston to Melbourne is flat as well.
As well as just the distance, IMHO the challenges for Miles are the wind and the traffic. Firstly much of his route can be very windy with 40-60 mph (yes - mile per hour for you Poms!!) winds. That doesn't happen every day, but enough that he will have plenty of tough days. When you are riding it, it feels like a straight road but as you can see on the map, it's a semicircle so you get a headwind or sidewind for a good portion.
Second; it is mostly suburban roads with commuter traffic. Sure, Mordialloc to Melbourne is the most popular cycling route in Australia but Miles is doing it at all hours of the day and night. The rest of the route has lots of traffic and even though there is a bike lane for most of it, it can be an issue. Finally, there are quite a few pubs along the route. Which means there are plenty of hoons leaving them at night.
I don't mean to paint a bad picture, just to point out that each cyclist in this event faces their own challenges. I've been riding that route or parts of it frequently for 28 years and I'm still not bored with it!
Andrew

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:09:29 pm »
I'm sure I read somewhere that in Melbourne it is quite common to have all four seasons in a single day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:39:04 pm »
One small pommy point of pedantry: 28C is 82 F.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:45:49 pm »
One small pommy point of pedantry: 28C is 82 F.
Sorry - my bad!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2015, 08:06:12 am »
... home to bed about 19:00 with 215 miles banked.
Only stayed put for a short time then headed off down the bay again and was around Mornington Crescent area at midnight.  Rough estimate, there's another 70 miles to be added.

Stay safe Miles, sounds like you've some 'interesting' roads to deal with day after day.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:54:31 am »
Stay safe Miles, sounds like you've some 'interesting' roads to deal with day after day.

Well, it's more like "an 'interesting' road"

I'm thinking about my favourite (ok, not favourite, but most missed) Melbourne weather.  A heat wave of 4 or 5 days with the maximum temperature in the high thirties or low forties, and the overnight minimum in the mid twenties.  Then comes the change, from the west - Miles' exposed side - the wind whipping up, the sea broiling, the humidity going through the roof, the sand stinging beach goers and being blown through the carparks, the sky darkening.  Then the rain starts falling, big heavy warm drops, getting heavier until everything is soaked, a crack of thunder and the real down pour starts.  The  temperature drops 15 degrees, all the doors and windows are opened to cool the houses down.  The next morning, the sun comes out and everything looks fresh and new, and you grab a jacket because the maximum temperature is only 21.

But that's not until next year.  For now Miles has the mild Melbourne winter, with a few storms, but generally pleasant.  I've been in Melbourne in June, and the forecast was the same in Melbourne and London (18, a few showers).

(just remembered, I was staying in a house in Frankston here along Miles' road one summer when I was a kid.  One of those heatwave ending storms came through and literally blew the front room off the house.  Miles will need to find shelter on a few occasions.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:56:25 am »
(just remembered, I was staying in a house in Frankston here along Miles' road one summer when I was a kid.  One of those heatwave ending storms came through and literally blew the front room off the house.  Miles will need to find shelter on a few occasions.)

Sorted:

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:32:51 pm »
Love the photo! I've cycled past that bus shelter. It is in the tiny Victorian country town of Everton. Great pub nearby and it's close to the 98km rail trail from Wangaratta to Bright. Great area - wineries, cheese factory, a real gourmet area!
I'd bet Miles has ridden through there too.
Just a perspective on distance; it's about 340kms from Melbourne. So a long way from the big smoke!

« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:05:28 pm »
Love the photo! I've cycled past that bus shelter. It is in the tiny Victorian country town of Everton. Great pub nearby and it's close to the 98km rail trail from Wangaratta to Bright. Great area - wineries, cheese factory, a real gourmet area!
Just a perspective on distance; it's about 340kms from Melbourne. So a long way from the big smoke!

340k's?  A days ride for these guys. Ride there, quick kip in the bus sahelter and then ride back. :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »

340k's?  A days ride for these guys. Ride there, quick kip in the bus sahelter and then ride back. :thumbsup:
Yes, but there's not much in between! At least where Miles is riding there are plenty of cafes, shops and service stations along the way so he can be pretty self sufficient.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:16:37 pm »
I know little of the low-level geography of Captain Cook's Mistake; the photo showed up on a Google image search for 'bus shelter melbourne' ;D

« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2015, 02:02:11 pm »
You could know a lot about Australia, and not know Everton.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-36.432932,146.540892,3a,90y,119.67h,69.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRx2x0XqZIc3m8snyk5qM1A!2e0?hl=en

"Just east of Wang'", might help some.

And it's quite handy to one of the tackiest tourist attractions I know about.

« Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2015, 08:40:11 am »

This is either very spooky, or Miles is reading this thread in his spare time.

Yesterday he go to within 26km of this very bus stop!  And considering how many places are 400km from Melbourne, you have to admit it's weird.

https://www.strava.com/activities/288910945

Sadly he drove (or flew) back, so he didn't sleep there.  That would definitely have exposed him to possible spider or snake, I guess - though it's a bit late in the season for either to be very active.

https://www.strava.com/activities/288910735

« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2015, 10:41:20 am »

This is either very spooky, or Miles is reading this thread in his spare time.

Yesterday he go to within 26km of this very bus stop!  And considering how many places are 400km from Melbourne, you have to admit it's weird.

https://www.strava.com/activities/288910945

Sadly he drove (or flew) back, so he didn't sleep there.  That would definitely have exposed him to possible spider or snake, I guess - though it's a bit late in the season for either to be very active.

https://www.strava.com/activities/288910735

Is there a B movie in this.."Snakes in a bus shelfter?"