Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2013 route  (Read 4955 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Tour of Britain 2013 route
« on: 21 March, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »
Here it is!

http://www.velouk.net/2013/03/21/tour-of-britain-route-for-10th-anniversary-edition/

...it's got a bit of Scotland and Wales in, the mandatory Devon stage for pain and loveliness, and a London finish.

This time round Devon gets a Haytor summit finish (arrive early, bring chalk and cowbells) and if my reading of the detail route is right, a relentless monstering except for some flat estuary bits.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Tour of Britain 2013 route
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:11:56 pm »
Still waiting for a proper highlands queen stage with the mountain top finish at the Cairngorm Ski station.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:14:24 pm »
A day and a half in Wales? Ambassador, you are spoiling us!

Great to see North Wales get a look in finally, but they know that Caerffili Mountain is a crowd-puller they can't live without.

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:15:47 pm »
Looks good: lovely stage round the Lake District, a bit of a Bryan Chapman feel with a big climb at the end then descent to Llanberis, followed by a stage down the middle of Wales. 

Of course, add on a second week round Scotland and it would be even better!

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2013, 06:15:00 am »
Yay!  Another ride out to Caerphilly Mountain to join Teulu Rowe!

essexian

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:47:10 am »
Disappointed that there is no Staffordshire loop again this year but with Stoke pulling out of the Tour Series and the council generally moving away from cycling due to lack of funds, its not really surprising.

The run from Stoke to North Wales looks lovely however, and no doubt I will get to watch some of it.... I fancy a ride up from Conway to Betws... not done that since 1984!

I have the whole week off that week so aim to get to see a few other stages too....wife willing!

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2013, 06:04:09 pm »
I am definitely going make sure I am near the summit of Haytor early in the morning for that! Should be a great spectacle. Maybe one day they will organise a finish at the summit of Widecombe, now that that I would pay to see!

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2013, 05:45:51 pm »
Hurrah for Whitchurch, Shropshire.

I can walk to the end of the street and watch them flash by.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2013, 07:30:40 pm »
Still waiting for a proper Scottish mountain stage.. Could break a few legs, especially with a hill top finish at Cairngorm.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2013, 07:17:03 am »
I'm planning to ride out to Caerphilly Mountain and watch the race.  Any other YACFers going to be there?

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2013, 07:19:44 am »
Sadly, no Somerset stage this year due to the very shortsighted attitude of the council.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2013, 07:59:15 am »
I'm planning to ride out to Caerphilly Mountain and watch the race.  Any other YACFers going to be there?

If I can get the day off I will be there.  Just short of the summit with Luke Rowe's mates is the best place to be for party atmosphere. 

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 15 September, 2013, 03:20:25 pm »

The boxer is Luke Rowe's brother, Matt. There's also usually a gorilla, a six foot seven fairy and a mexican wrestler wrapped in a Welsh flag. Luke isn't down to ride this year but a friend met him on a plane last weekend, heading home after doing two weeks of the Vuelta, so maybe he'll get a ride.

I'll be there somewhere, the Cardiff Ajax is organising a couple of club rides aiming to get there in time. We have two ex-members riding again this year (Jon Mould and Owain Doull).

« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2013, 07:25:36 pm »
I'm betting Pete's Eats (Llanberis) will be a tad busy on Wednesday. Its bad enough in winter.
Here's the temporary tea-urn being delivered.

Working my way up to inferior.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2013, 10:25:04 pm »
I enjoyed watching them honking up Honister Pass today, none of yer namby-pamby Pyrenees nonsense, a proper 25% pitch :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »
We were on Honister today.
Thankfully the horizontal rain eased before the race came through.
None of the riders made it look easy. Frankly, they'd have been better off with compacts or (whisper it), triples.

We drove westwards off the pass after all of the "race" traffic had gone past.
When we were quite a long way down the climb there was a solo Node 4 Giordano rider grimping his way up the hill.
It seemed that he'd been dropped by both the peloton and his team.
To finish he would have had to negotiate the rest of the route on open roads.
I don't know if he made it and neither the TofB nor the N 4 G websites have helped.

On an parallel note: does anyone know what ** against a riders name on the Tof B GC list means ?
I haven't managed to find a clue anywhere. I would have expected it to be referred to at the bottom of the page.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2013, 11:44:34 pm »
Click on the "Young Rider" classification and bingo! they're all ** in that list.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2013, 10:10:02 pm »
The TT

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »
My old man was complaining that it was too short, but I agree that it was a nice touch. He'd have preferred a 25 or 50.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2013, 10:23:58 pm »
I guess in an 8-day race a 25 or 50 would have decided the race. In fact, there would almost be no point in the other 7 days! As it is, it's hard to see how the new leader might be displaced barring failure or accident.

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 18 September, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »
Wiggins has been spotted in an Esso garage, buying a Ginsters Pasty and some Flap Jack for his saddlebag.

Well that's what I do before heading up to Pen-Y-Pass. (Have SKY laid on cold rice pudding with tinned peach slices in Menai?)

essexian

« Reply #21 on: 18 September, 2013, 02:20:32 pm »
Popped out this morning to see the ride glide by up the hill after Stone: blimey the pro's make it look so easy!

Untitled by essexian, on Flickr

I was very impressed with the number of people at the road side; I counted at least 120 people on what was an unimportant section of the route.

« Reply #22 on: 18 September, 2013, 03:44:53 pm »
Is the IAM the Institute of Advanced Motorists?

« Reply #23 on: 18 September, 2013, 04:12:35 pm »
It's a Swiss thing.
What a great finish!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #24 on: 18 September, 2013, 04:19:58 pm »
It's a Swiss thing.
What a great finish!  :thumbsup:

Didn't think it could be....

And yes, brilliant. Cav even looked as if he eased up over the last couple of meters.