Author Topic: FNRttC to Brighton - November 27th  (Read 26426 times)

Re: FNRttC to Brighton - November 27th
« Reply #25 on: 05 November, 2009, 02:49:18 pm »
Most of the rides this year have been subscribed within a week or two of the end of the previous one, but this one has filled up even quicker than normal.  I guess it's because people are trying to get in for the last one of the year, before having to give it up for the Winter (although this is only two months, the next ride will be the February 2010 one).

Anyone fancy doing an independent January one?  I suspect December will be out, simply because most people (myself included) are fairly busy with other seasonal events.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #26 on: 05 November, 2009, 02:52:25 pm »
Not me as I'm off the bike for a while.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #27 on: 05 November, 2009, 05:23:17 pm »
no ...the fifth one is the cake bearer  ;D

or the mead bearer (to go with the cake).  No, don't give me that  :sick: sign.  This is a vintage 2004 homebrew which has been quoted as being better than the gold award winning mead at the national honey show.  I know, that doesn't mean much either. 

mead - yum  :thumbsup:
Owner of a languishing Langster

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #28 on: 05 November, 2009, 07:17:49 pm »
Most of the rides this year have been subscribed within a week or two of the end of the previous one, but this one has filled up even quicker than normal.  I guess it's because people are trying to get in for the last one of the year, before having to give it up for the Winter (although this is only two months, the next ride will be the February 2010 one).

Anyone fancy doing an independent January one?  I suspect December will be out, simply because most people (myself included) are fairly busy with other seasonal events.

Could do.  Or we could do it in daylight.  And/or ride back.  We could circle the terminal at Gatwick.  The possibilities are endless.

So far, my cycling calendar for December/January only has Tuesday 29th December as taken, so pick a day.

Edit - I'll start a new topic.  Now showing here.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 08 November, 2009, 06:15:56 pm »
Am doing the ride and have emailed Mr SimonLmany accordingly.

Will also be riding up from Pompey and I believe this is the intention of some, if not all the Faccombe faction.

H

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #30 on: 08 November, 2009, 06:36:12 pm »
Am doing the ride and have emailed Mr SimonLmany accordingly.

Will also be riding up from Pompey and I believe this is the intention of some, if not all the Faccombe faction.

H

Chillmoister, keeks and I have a plan to ride to Haslemere (with a Godalming bail-out option depending on time etc.) and get the train from there. Will be leaving straight from work in Havant around 5 ish and will probably find a nice pub on the way up to grab some dinner.

We're going to be taking it fairly easy but you're welcome to join us. I'll stick up a bikely route at some point. Will also be riding back from Brighton - we have a route for that too. Will send you PM tomorrow. 

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #31 on: 08 November, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »
Super.  :thumbsup:

That sounds like a cracking plan.

I won't be riding back as I am shopping with Mrs H in Brighton.

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #32 on: 09 November, 2009, 01:52:21 pm »
as quoted from another place ....

taken from the list of riders:

Mark H (yes, that Mark H - be very afraid!)

a legend not just in this parish apparently.....but I'm not really suprised  ;)
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #33 on: 09 November, 2009, 02:06:37 pm »
Currently there are between 61 and 64 people down to do this one, which isn't bad for November!

Needless to say, Simon has now closed the book.

Looking at last years thread there were less than 20 of us then (according to Charlotte's post, I really can't remember the numbers very well).  It was probably the fastest FNRttC I've done, but wasn't as fast as several other daytime rides, just fast for an over-nighter.

I was also reminded that this one the one that JT had to abandon, since his tyre and rim didn't want to play together. :-\

(Incidentally, if anyone's looking for the thread on CycleChat, I don't think it exists.  I believe the rides were then still being organised through acf, so other than the thread I linked above, on here, there is no other record).

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #34 on: 09 November, 2009, 04:57:51 pm »
Chillmoister, keeks and I have a plan to ride to Haslemere (with a Godalming bail-out option depending on time etc.) and get the train from there. Will be leaving straight from work in Havant around 5 ish and will probably find a nice pub on the way up to grab some dinner.

We're going to be taking it fairly easy but you're welcome to join us. I'll stick up a bikely route at some point. Will also be riding back from Brighton - we have a route for that too. Will send you PM tomorrow.  

I might be up for a ride back from Brighton- depending what state I'm in, weather, etc, assuming for a moment that you're going a direct (ish) route.

« Reply #35 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:35:48 pm »

Needless to say, Simon has now closed the book.

Simon has clarified this. Ride now closed to newbies. Old hands are more than welcome. He's trying to balance innocence with experience.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #36 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:47:05 pm »
I imagine that's a fairly safe exemption, since most of the "old timers" have probably signed up already.  Any more than 60 probably becomes a bit difficult in the mid-way cafe stop.  In fact, from my one visit there Cabin Cafe (on the Bognor ride), even with that many people, the last in will probably be reliant on the first in clearing out and making some seating available.  Needless to say, on that occasion I was damned near at the back. :-\

<Makes mental note not to TEC before the midway stop> ;D

LEE

« Reply #37 on: 10 November, 2009, 04:56:11 pm »
What time do you normally arrive in Brighton?

I hear it's a fairly relaxed pace.  If so I may wrap up more snugly than I would do otherwise.

« Reply #38 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:16:29 pm »
What time do you normally arrive in Brighton?

I hear it's a fairly relaxed pace.  If so I may wrap up more snugly than I would do otherwise.

Brighton arrival is usually 07:00 / 07:30 ish - with a big group you can expect a later arrival......

« Reply #39 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:19:17 pm »
The only one I've got a time for immediately to hand, is the July one this year, which was the "Genteel Ride".  On that one, according to my GPS, I got to Brighton Sea Front at around 8-15 BST (having left HPC at 00-05 BST or thereabouts).  I think I was near the front for arrivals at the Madeira Cafe on that ride.

Generally we'll probably arrive nearer 7am, although with 60 odd people, that will inevitably slow things down a bit.  It just takes longer to regroup that many people, we are likely to have more fairy visitations, and the mid-way stop takes longer.

LEE

« Reply #40 on: 16 November, 2009, 10:53:36 am »
Is there a Bikely route for the route we will use on the night?

« Reply #41 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:17:18 am »

Likely as not, His Leggship won't decide on the route until the night itself.

This may well be a route amongst those on Bikely, but to say that one of them will definitely be used, would be little more than conjecture at this stage.

« Reply #42 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:19:49 am »

The routes are always open to last minute changes by Simon, so No, there is no definite route.

If you do a search for something like "Brighton FNRttC" on Bikely you'll get some routes, including a few of mine.  Generally the Brighton route hasn't changed much, other than around the half way stop (which has been at various locations, and definitely won't be at Gatwick this time around).  You also find route links to Bikely in the various ride reports, towards the end of the relevant threads here and on CycleChat.

Simon has suggested that he may use a route on more main roads for this one, depending on the weather etc.  The risk of ice is much higher on the smaller roads that we generally use.  For the same reason, Ditchling is less likely on this ride.

urban_biker

« Reply #43 on: 17 November, 2009, 02:48:41 pm »

I might be up for a ride back from Brighton- depending what state I'm in, weather, etc, assuming for a moment that you're going a direct (ish) route.

Hi Stu - yes its a pretty direct route, stays on the coast on minor roads as much as possible and then goes via Chichester and Fishbourne to Havant where I will be heading off over Portsdown to Denmead (its around 80k and very flat).  Chillmoister will be heading back towards Pompey though.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #44 on: 17 November, 2009, 07:06:16 pm »

Hi Stu - yes its a pretty direct route, stays on the coast on minor roads as much as possible and then goes via Chichester and Fishbourne to Havant where I will be heading off over Portsdown to Denmead (its around 80k and very flat).  Chillmoister will be heading back towards Pompey though.

Sounds like what I had in mind. Splendid!

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #45 on: 17 November, 2009, 08:27:23 pm »
I was also reminded that this one the one that JT had to abandon, since his tyre and rim didn't want to play together. :-\

It certainly was. That would have been my full set for the year too. Oh well at least I started them all.  ;D

I was seriously considering this ride (2009) what with getting a new dynohub wheel and an IQ Cyo but I'm not fit enough. The distance isn't a problem but I've forgotten how to get up hills without having a heart attack.

So I'm going to Ghent instead to watch some Six Day racing.  :thumbsup:
a great mind thinks alike

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #46 on: 17 November, 2009, 08:54:55 pm »
Yebbut, as I understand it, Ditchling Beacon is off the menu, so Olympian fitness levels aren't needed.

Have fun in Ghent thobut.

And in other news, I've rearranged my hectic diary such that I will be able to make this ride.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #47 on: 18 November, 2009, 12:52:33 pm »
I haven't got a hectic diary   :'(
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

LEE

« Reply #48 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:10:42 pm »
Yebbut, as I understand it, Ditchling Beacon is off the menu,

Definite or weather dependent on the day?

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #49 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:13:17 pm »
Simon seems keen to avoid it...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....