Author Topic: 'Tomsk's Easygoing Essex Tour' 2nd/3rd July  (Read 3663 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
'Tomsk's Easygoing Essex Tour' 2nd/3rd July
« on: 09 May, 2011, 09:35:37 pm »
    A plan hatched by the Mid-Essex crew to do a tour of the county this summer - open to anyone. The date isn't set in stone yet, but the first weekend of July seems to fit in with most of us. [August everyone's away-the FRENCH ride, for instance in my case and September is a long way off - note to forum, keep weekend 17/18 Sept free for the Tour of Britain, Bury St Eds-Sandringham and London stages] I may have at least one offspring in tow as exams will be finished by then.

A proper holiday-mode bit of touring, with my favourite cafe/pub stops and a bit of sightseeing too, so a moderate 50-60 miles each day, quite WARTY-esque, in fact. The option of camping or B&B, still very much in the planning stage, as I look at building a route. The two pubs I know of with campsites are the 'Stranger's Home' at Bradfield near Manningtree and the 'Huntsman & Hounds' at Althorne, between Maldon and Burnham I'd be interested to hear of any other recommendations. We could of course, cross the border and revisit the excellent 'White Horse' at Edwardstone.

I thought of starting from Witham, as its fairly central to the county, accessible by train, and a number of forumites live there too. Ones day's ride would probably be up to the Stour valley and 'Constable Country', the other along the coast. I'm hoping to include a ferry trip to/from East Mersea.

All suggestions gratefully received and to reiterate: ALL WELCOME, for one or both days or whatever.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: 'Tomsk's Easygoing Essex Tour' 2nd/3rd July
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:55:00 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:33:18 pm »
Sorry, can't make the 2nd / 3rd July.  Have fun!

« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:33:30 pm »
Checks diary - oh no can't make it father visiting that weekend

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:06:27 pm »
Plan A, based on a stopover at the 'Stranger's Home', Bradfield. Lots of details to sort out, but something like:

Start, Saturday: Witham
11ses: Specialities Tea Room, Stisted
Lunch: The Bell, Castle Hedingham
3ses: Dedham, choice of several
Camp @ Bradfield or B&B in locality

Sunday: 11ses Walton-on-the-Naze Old Lighthouse cafe
Lunch: West Mersea
3ses: Paper Mill Lock Cafe
Back to Witham

Lots of nice laney possibilities and even a bit of very gentle roughstuff, maybe. 50-60 miles/day [or 15 miles between feeds!] Descent of North Hill [freewheel contest?] and a visit to 'Nutty's Slimed Bottom'. I'll post a more detailed route shortly.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2011, 07:43:33 pm »
The 'Stranger's Home' at Bradfield does B&B. Seems like a good campsite.

The 'Company Shed' at West Mersea is THE place for seafood, not sure if you need to book, I gather its very basic - needing to bring your own bread and drinks. Other cafes and pubs are available! I'll do a bit more research.

We should be able to get the ferryman from Brightlingsea to take us directly from Point Clear across to Mersea Island, the schedule is normally to/from Brightlingsea. He was very accomodating when I booked a crossing out of season.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2011, 07:45:58 pm »
The 'Stranger's Home' at Bradfield does B&B. Seems like a good campsite.

The 'Company Shed' at West Mersea is THE place for seafood, not sure if you need to book, I gather its very basic - needing to bring your own bread and drinks. Other cafes and pubs are available! I'll do a bit more research.

We should be able to get the ferryman from Brightlingsea to take us directly from Point Clear across to Mersea Island, the schedule is normally to/from Brightlingsea. He was very accomodating when I booked a crossing out of season.

If you want to eat at The Company Shed get there early.  They don't take bookings and get VERY busy.  We were there the other day and there were 100 people in the queue for tables  :o

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »
I shall have to send a 'domestique' ahead to get in the queue :)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »
I might struggle for a pass for this. There is the Oyster Bar on the front at Mersea where you can book, slightly different style but still good and a wide choice of fishy things.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 28 May, 2011, 05:04:24 pm »
I might struggle for a pass for this. There is the Oyster Bar on the front at Mersea where you can book, slightly different style but still good and a wide choice of fishy things.
I shall investigate this too! Thanks!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2011, 07:01:21 am »
I'm thinking I might do some of this with you, excluding the camping of course!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2011, 04:59:42 pm »

Fear not, there is another cycle camping adventure that might suit.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:08:40 pm »
I'm thinking I might do some of this with you, excluding the camping of course!
You can camp conveniently at home ;D! [Staycampcation?]

bloomers100

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2011, 09:57:13 pm »
I've got a provisional pass for this.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »
I've got a provisional pass for this.

:thumbsup: I've got to tie up loose ends from my 100/200 last weekend, get my 300 info & routesheet out [D-Day 8th July], then I'll start making some advance bookings - essentially the campsite ['Stranger's Home'] and the ferry on the Sunday.

bloomers100

« Reply #15 on: 11 June, 2011, 11:08:09 am »
As with all things provisional........

in the interest of family harmony I'm going to withdraw, sorry to mess you about.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »
I haven't forgotten about this little jaunt..... just getting organised for the 300km Audax I'm organising on the following wkend, plus the small matter of 1 1/2 years artwork to get ready for exhibition !!!! Plus chasing the Inland Revenue ::-)[duelling pistols still smoking ;D]

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #17 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:07:50 pm »
I'm not now 100% sure if I can attend as I amy have a clash for Sat afternoon but could maybe ride Sun with youif I can get out of singing duties.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:28:09 pm »
I'm not now 100% sure if I can attend as I amy have a clash for Sat afternoon but could maybe ride Sun with youif I can get out of singing duties.
:thumbsup: We'll be leaving the 'Stranger's' at 9.00, probably. 11ses at Walton....