Author Topic: Anaemia - any hints and tips for coping?  (Read 1203 times)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Anaemia - any hints and tips for coping?
« on: 11 March, 2015, 10:23:58 am »
I was wondering if anyone that had experience of living with anaemia for extended periods could offer any day to day advice for coping?

I most probably suffer from pernicious anaemia. After a period of not requiring any B12 injections due to a massive overshoot a few years ago I have recently depleted my B12 stocks and I'm feeling fairly rubbish. I will be starting treatment again soon, but from memory the recovery was fairly slow.

I struggle most with the fatigue and breathlessness, particularly after extremely light exercise (such as steady walking) that can leave me very shaky and barely able to stand. Harder exercise doesn't affect me as badly, though any actual athletic performance is obviously massively impaired.

The neurological symptoms are quite pronounced at the moment but I find them easier to tolerate. During my last period of recovery my diet was severely limited and this is far less of a concern now so I was wondering if anyone had found changes in diet useful in moderating energy levels and preventing sudden crashes?

Thanks in advance!

A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Re: Anaemia - any hints and tips for coping?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:29:17 am »
My wife has had serious anaemia for some time (when I say 'serious' on seeing one blood results the hospital said if she were an inpatient they'd be giving her a transfusion). So I have some idea what it is like and how it can absolutely cripple you for doing, well, anything.

Taking things slow, frequent regular meals (no big pigouts), be careful when doing things such as walking up stairs (as you can be suddenly lightheaded).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »
ditto
avoid being stuck on your own with active todler who may need chasing when you are not up to it (luckily I was in hospy main corridor at that time)
I did consider getting a folding stool for use whilst waiting for busses but never got around to it
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:36:02 am »
Thanks for the advice. Putting myself in a position where I can keep eating moderately has helped and I've been fortunate to be able to say no to various jobs that weren't sympathetic to my needs. I have had a fairly demanding five year old to keep me on my toes though.
I think I'm perking up in time for a couple of months of hard graft starting next week.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.