Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 4327 times)

Re: Gloves
« Reply #25 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:13:04 am »
+1 for that, too, if only for being less faff and more aesthetically pleasing than bar tape.  I find that if it's wet enough for the foam to hold significant water, my hands would be soaked anyway, which reduces it to a cold-weather glove problem.

Top tip: don't use fairy liquid or similar as a lubricant to apply the foam, as it'll become slippery again on contact with water.  Plain water or something alcohol-based is better.

The 80s is calling, it wants its foam bar grips back! I used to love this stuff back then, but changed back to normal tape after a couple of hot summers - I found that sunblock cream made it dissolve, so if I topped myself up with cream mid-ride and didn't have facilities to wash my hands, I'd end up with black sticky fingers and significantly less padding from the foam.

legitlee

Gloves
« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2012, 10:28:28 pm »
Well I'm glad I waited for a good response. thank you all so much a lot to think about, consider, and try but i'll get there

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 18 March, 2012, 12:15:15 am »
+1 for that, too, if only for being less faff and more aesthetically pleasing than bar tape.  I find that if it's wet enough for the foam to hold significant water, my hands would be soaked anyway, which reduces it to a cold-weather glove problem.

Top tip: don't use fairy liquid or similar as a lubricant to apply the foam, as it'll become slippery again on contact with water.  Plain water or something alcohol-based is better.

The 80s is calling, it wants its foam bar grips back! I used to love this stuff back then, but changed back to normal tape after a couple of hot summers - I found that sunblock cream made it dissolve, so if I topped myself up with cream mid-ride and didn't have facilities to wash my hands, I'd end up with black sticky fingers and significantly less padding from the foam.

I had black Grab-On™ handlebar padding in the 80s. I quickly had black hands, even if I had not used any creams etc.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 18 March, 2012, 10:28:19 pm »
^Ditto. In rain especially. The cheap stuff was far worse for muckiness and didn't last long but not far off the genuine Grab-On quality for comfort.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.