Author Topic: Mildly 'lost it' this morning.  (Read 4482 times)

Pete

Mildly 'lost it' this morning.
« on: 07 April, 2008, 11:26:38 am »
A bit sad really.  Not a lot happens in sleepy leafy (when not snowed up) B*ggers H*le as I've remarked on before, but there was this car that shot straight out of a side road into my path.  After giving full rein to my (luckily well-adjusted) brakes, I gave forth my choicest repertoire of words beginning with "F------" and "C---" (not "W-----", it was a woman driver and I reserve that word for blokes...).

This doesn't happen very often, not with me.

Thing is, I don't feel too bad at shouting those things in a busy street.  Should I feel bad?  Should I feel bad about not feeling bad?  Should I (oh b*****)....?

Re: Mildly 'lost it' this morning.
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2008, 11:59:21 am »
No need to feel bad aabout it unless it was outside an Infant School.  (Anything over 8 years old would probably just answer back.)

If the driver deserves it then they should get it!

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 04:12:49 pm »
twice this morning i had to give the "use your eyes next time" gesture to morons trying to edge onto the roundabout just as i'm passing the exit. one had a really crumpled driver's door, so he also got a "no wonder it looks like that" for good measure.

can't believe i was that polite ;)
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Pete

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2008, 12:09:59 am »
On this afternoon's spin, I was going along a road with cycle lanes (tin-of-paint type), came to this car parked right across the lane; didn't bother me much as the road is fairly quiet and I don't go into the cycle lanes on that road anyway.  But I was just getting ready to give my angry - but resigned - stare and shrug as I passed, when I noticed two things:
(a) driver had stopped to use her mobile phone
(b) she was quite a looker.... :-X :evil:
...so I'll forgive her anything.

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:07:11 pm »
Excellent, I'm always chuffed to see a driver who was responsible enough to pull over before using the phone!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mr endon

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:17:02 pm »
I must get out more.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:57:26 pm »
Indeed.

You may see one, or even two mobile phones on a long ride, if you are lucky.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:59:57 am »
Indeed.

You may see one, or even two mobile phones on a long ride, if you are lucky.

Ooooooohhhhh............

4 miles becomes a long ride  ;D ;D ;D

I see way more than one or two mobile phones on my 7 mile commute.  (and let's not mention the 9 miles home again)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:13:28 am »
On this afternoon's spin, I was going along a road with cycle lanes (tin-of-paint type), came to this car parked right across the lane; didn't bother me much as the road is fairly quiet and I don't go into the cycle lanes on that road anyway.  But I was just getting ready to give my angry - but resigned - stare and shrug as I passed, when I noticed two things:
(a) driver had stopped to use her mobile phone
(b) she was quite a looker.... :-X :evil:
...so I'll forgive her anything.

??? You mean they actually work in cars when they're not moving? From what I observe you'd have thought that the opposite was true

ian

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:22:51 am »
Excellent, I'm always chuffed to see a driver who was responsible enough to pull over before using the phone!

If my daily experience is anything to go by, this usually means that they answered the phone while driving and then pulled over.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2008, 04:32:20 pm »
There's a special phone-answering technique practised in Holloway Road.

1.  Ensure that your phone is kept in the footwell of the passenger seat.
2.  If it rings, scrabble around in the footwell of the passenger seat to locate the phone whilst simultaneously executing an emergency stop in the cycle lane.
3.  You've done it!  You can now answer your phone.  In fact - treat yourself.  Have a quick ciggie while you chat.

And even while you go to this extra effort to keep it legal, these bloody cyclists still shout abuse.  You can't win.

::-)

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:46:33 am »
If my daily experience is anything to go by, this usually means that they answered the phone while driving and then pulled over.

Quite possibly, but I'd much rather that than they carry on driving!!!

I normally see between 1 and 4 drivers on the phone on every commute, and that's with only making a small effort to look for them.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2008, 12:43:39 pm »
There's a special phone-answering technique practised in Holloway Road.

1.  Ensure that your phone is kept in the footwell of the passenger seat.
2.  If it rings, scrabble around in the footwell of the passenger seat to locate the phone whilst simultaneously executing an emergency stop in the cycle lane.
3.  You've done it!  You can now answer your phone.  In fact - treat yourself.  Have a quick ciggie while you chat.

And even while you go to this extra effort to keep it legal, these bloody cyclists still shout abuse.  You can't win.

::-)

:thumbsup:

Well of course anyone who gets a mobile phone call is immediately foisted into the limelight, becomes an instant celebrity - sought after, cutting edge, "with it".  Why should they heed cyclists any more than the VIP heeds the Big Issue seller as he walks into the Ritz?