Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Audax / Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Last post by zakalwe on Today at 08:04:06 am »
https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/find-events

Shares many things with AUK. Cover for individual organisers who do not get paid and has a lot of data that needs organising. They have added some glossy pages, but the content is still the same.

BB

Gotta say, it's a lot better than it was 5 years ago.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Great cover versions
« Last post by Steph on Today at 07:58:14 am »
Sounds ok to me
« Last post by Bianchi Boy on Today at 07:15:57 am »
https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/find-events

Shares many things with AUK. Cover for individual organisers who do not get paid and has a lot of data that needs organising. They have added some glossy pages, but the content is still the same.

BB
« Last post by Bianchi Boy on Today at 07:11:11 am »
I cannot get onto the AUK forum. Can some please help?

I have asked for the password to be mailed and I have not received the mail to the web address I have registered with AUK.

On the computer front they need some work, but jazzing up the front end is not the answer. I work in IT and have seen on many occasions when problems are thought to be IT problems and they are not. If people want to enter they will. I do not think the web site is a real problem. One real problem is that the organisation looks (and is) fragmented and no more than a front page for a great and very helpful bunch of organisers. People want real consistency and not a glossy web site. AUK should look at collecting fees in a single portal and distributing the monies to the organisers. That way you can run events that require AUK membership and help organisers by managing the money for them.

Also we are a special interest organisation and like it or not it is the long events that people either ride or aspire to. You cannot make this easier or more helpful or gentler. A 600 in the rain is just hard. We must resist the temptation of thinking that there is something wrong with running an event that attracts 30 riders when the Wiggle sportive had banners 500 riders and signs. AUK has a special character and that is part of the pleasure. What other organisation would run an event that had one person giving out cards in front of a railway station and and expecting you to mail the card back? By the way I really enjoyed 'Back to the Smoke'.

I always worry when an organisation thinks IT will fix our problems. Normally hides the real issue.

BB
Audax / Re: AUK & Diversity was Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Last post by Bianchi Boy on Today at 06:42:57 am »
If you want low gears go to SPA cycles

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2002/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset-with-TA-chainrings

I fitted one of these with a bar end for the front changer so I did not have index problems. Long cage cassette and a 12/30 cassette. But no matter how low the gears I still had to lift my fat arse up all the elevations.

BB
« Last post by JohnL on Today at 06:41:36 am »
We really are veering widely off topic here! However...

I’ve got a Middleburn 46/30 crankset, which fits a hollowtech 2 BB, that I got off eBay. It’s amazing, best upgrade I’ve made to my Audax Bike. I credit it for knocking an hour off my Brevet Cymru time this year! Anyone who thinks a compact is sufficient clearly doesn’t ride hills, 46/30 should be the standard. (And I’m a chap).

It was interesting to note that James Hayden was using 46/34 (I think) and wanted to have a 30 but couldn’t due to his power meter. Hopefully gravel and long distance becoming trendier will mean manufacturers start putting out sensible gearing.

Anyway, to drag things back on topic, as a white male, heading rapidly towards 40, who loves the quirky, slightly old fashioned, eccentric feel of Audax I feel a more diverse field can only make it better. But how can this be achieved?

In some respects Audax is more diverse than other aspects of cycling. Witness the huge variety of machines that are seen compared to the homogenous clones of a typical Sportive. Eccentricity is often applauded, but how can that be converted into a more diverse group of riders?

I’m veering around a bit here, but does anyone know the percentage breakdown of sexes, ethnicities etc across cycling generally? The figure of 10% female seems to crop up quite a bit here, but I’ve also seen that figure crop up for cycling clubs generally. Are we that different to other areas of cycling? (which isn’t saying we shouldn’t be pushing for more diversity).

John
On The Road / Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Last post by Auntie Helen on Today at 06:06:50 am »
I am regularly filmed by drivers but this is the hazard of being in a Velomobile.

They are of course holding their phone up to the passenger window when driving... which is stupidly dangerous. But that doesn’t matter, they have to film the weird bike.
Gallery / Re: "I saw this...and thought of you"
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 04:11:01 am »

P8210181 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Just over the road in sunny Calgary.
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 01:14:48 am »
The only one I'm aware of at present for a standard 24mm HTII type spindle is the Sugino OX series which in the UK are rare than rocking horse droppings.  Praxis have squeezed a 32 onto a 110BCD with a 30mm spindle (hence less choice/more cost of BB)   but still not low enough for me to duplicate the range of my triple.  FSA have dropped to a lower BCD to accommodate smaller rings but apparently only for the various pushfit standards, not for threaded frames.

If you start with a triple like a 4603 or 5703 you can just swap he middle ring for a 46t and ditch the larger one?

4603 is becoming hard to find. The replacement is a 4703, which in stock comes as a 53/39/30, it's 2am so I can't find enough info on 46t options that would replace the middle ring. But simply taking the big ring off wouldn't be ideal, as you'd have a 39/30. Better to get the M615 MTB 40/28 cranksets, and matching mech, which does work with a tiagra shifter, even tho Shimano claim otherwise. Dunno what would happen if you tried at a higher level tho. Also wouldn't work with di2, as you can't mix MTB and road mechs.

There's a reason my new bike is going to have the FSA SL-K modular cranksets in 46/30.

J

J
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10